Ugly Bengals Uniforms

JQK

I'm starting this thread because of the ugliness that ended the last thread. I believe these hideous uniforms need to be discussed, and my actions forced the last thread to be closed.

So let me open up this one by saying: What possessed the Bengals to have their uniforms designed by the Cincinnati Hooker Authority?

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I agree. Just take the white panels off and you'd have a decent thing going on there.

(Notice I said thing, not uniform)

The shame of it is, the Uniforms they had were really very good, were not outdated, and were one of the best in the league.

It's just a shame.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I agree. Just take the white panels off and you'd have a decent thing going on there.

(Notice I said thing, not uniform)

The shame of it is, the Uniforms they had were really very good, were not outdated, and were one of the best in the league.

It's just a shame.

Agreed.

And what's with the stripe action happening on the pants? It seems to me different people were making different parts of this uniform without seeing what the others were doing.

The problem with the Bengals is that over time, they have added more and more and more tiger stripes to the uniforms, to the point where now, they've gone way off the deep end now. The stripes were tolerable when it was just the helmet and some sleeve stripes, but now it's just pathetic. I mean, why don't they just throw the leaping tiget on the sleeves and let that be the extent of the stripes?

Here's the evolution:

Cincinnati70.gif

Cincinnati82.gif

Cincinnati02.gif

r1107786244.jpg

VmWIn6B.png

On ESPN Radio last night, while commenting on the orange unis, the host said the tweaks this year were Marvin Lewis attempts to "streamline the uniforms." Apparently one or both of the guys hosting last night are Bengals fans (John Seibel... sayd he hosts ESPN News on Sunday afternoons and his partner hates it when Cincy loses because John's in a bad mood all day).

So, I guess what I'm getting to with all that is: Did Lewis initiate/oversee these changes?

I'm sure the players contributed just as much to these ug-fests as Lewis did. I think they should have at least kept the leaping Bengal logo on their sleeves. And definitely ditch the alteranate colored side stripes. Didn;t Jacksonville teach us anything?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

These new uniforms were pretty much Marvin Lewis' baby. He got input on them from some players (boy, that was wise :wacko: ), most notably Chad Johnson.

Everyone here has hit the nail on the head over the past few months with their comments about the white side panels, and the transitition to white at the top of the pants. What they were attempting to do was replicate the white belly and under-the-arms area of Bengal tigers, which fades to almost white. Problem is, nature does this very well, while stitching starkly contrasting colors together with fabric just doesn't cut it. As so many of you have said, they need to ditch that idea and get rid of both these features.

That being said, I'm not a big fan of the tiger stripes existing on the sides of the pants, and then abruptly stopping when it gets to the jersey. I thought nothing of this for many years, but now that so many teams are attempting to continue whatever pattern is on the pants into the jersey (Was Denver the first?), I really like that idea and think it has merit. (The teams with the traditional stripes on their pants should leave theirs alone.) My question is, would it be too stripey to just continue the black and orange stripe pattern up to the armpits? I fear it would, but would like to see how it would look.

Also, I don't hate the orange jerseys as much as most here and in the media. I think opinions would have been different if they had worn them with white pants instead of black. The black just made for too much color. At least the orange of the jerseys matched the orange of the helmets, and did so perfectly.

All the stripes do for me is remind me of those old Zubaz sweat pants that everybody and his dog had back in the 80s.

And that's not a good thing.

:lol: Zubaz :lol:

Where would QVC be today without hawking those pants every week?

1) Remove the White side-panels on the jerseys.

2) Remove the White portion at the upper end of the tiger-striping on the side of the pants. It should be Orange-and-Black tiger-striping only.

3) Change the font for jersey numbers. Either develop a numeric font that ties into the alpha font that the "B" logo is rendered in, or go back to simple block numerals. Get rid of the drop-shadow and go with a simple outline for the numbers.

4) On all three jerseys - Black, White and Orange - the sleeves should feature Black tiger-stripes on an Orange background, NOT Orange tiger-stripes on a Black background.

5) Use the Orange alternate jersey SPARINGLY!!!

5) Get rid of the Black alternate pants.

Problem solved.

Remember when the Arena League used all that Zubaz stuff for their uniforms? That's exactly what I thought about when I saw the Bengals new unis!

Moderation is a good thing. I know I'm beating a dead horse in this thread, but too many designs shoved into one doesn't equal a good uniform. See also Buffalo Bills.

CCSLC Signature.jpg

Archived