Sportsexpressions you like

Stampman

I believe I am one of about 12 or 13 people who really likes Mike Shannon on baseball Cardinal radio broadcasts, hence I enjoy hearing "the ducks are on the pond" when the bases are loaded and "ol' Abner has done it again" when an unlikely play or situation occurs.

Hey, I love Shannon too. I grew up in SE Kansas listening to both Royals and Cardinals radio broadcasts all the time. If I wanted to follow the Royals, I did, but if I wanted entertainment as well as a good ballgame, I listened to Jack and Mike.

My favorite are Shannon's home run calls when it's a line drive. "SwwIIIIIIng....and a drive! Get up, baby! Get up! Home run!"

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's simple... it's iconic... it's legendary...

"YES!" - Marv Albert

Long live the voice of the Knicks!

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

This needs a little background for people outside the U.S.A. ...

Many times for baseball games, viewers or listeners like to keep a scorecard of the plays, just like they would if they were at the game. So sometimes if there is a complicated or confusing play, the announcer will say, "For those of you scoring at home, that play went 6-to-3-to-2-to-3." (for example)

Now, I forget who said this, but some announcer somewhere turned this into a somewhat risqué comment:

"For those of you scoring at home ... congratulations!"

;)

CK3ZP8E.jpg

This needs a little background for people outside the U.S.A. ...

Many times for baseball games, viewers or listeners like to keep a scorecard of the plays, just like they would if they were at the game. So sometimes if there is a complicated or confusing play, the announcer will say, "For those of you scoring at home, that play went 6-to-3-to-2-to-3." (for example)

Now, I forget who said this, but some announcer somewhere turned this into a somewhat risqué comment:

;)

It was either Olbermann or Patrick, methinks.

I kinda like Berman's "Backbackbackbackbackback...." call.

And of course, the traditional, "He shoots, he scores!"

But there's also that Buffalo Sabres announcer who used to scream out in a high voice "Stuuuuuuuuuuuuu Baaaarrrnnes" when he still played there and scored occasionally.

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

So sometimes if there is a complicated or confusing play, the announcer will say, "For those of you scoring at home, that play went 6-to-3-to-2-to-3." (for example)

I'm with ya there. "6-3-2-3" is a very confusing and complicated play...

Exactly why did the first baseman throw home to the catcher who then threw back to first? :D

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

Correcting a note from mjrbaseball, the exact line was "That's a 6-4-3 double play if you're scoring at home...or even if you're by yourself." The originator of the first part of the line, Vin Scully of the L. A. Dodgers, was too modest to add the second part.

That would be Mr. Olbermann. Larry Beil would say "If not, try flowers!"

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

;)

It will take awhile before I stop laughing...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

The best expressions come from the legendary Dennis Commeti.

Dennis is indeed the best.

His style is probably not like those mentioned here, he is off the cuff clever, he doesn't say the sayings over and over.

For your entertainment, some of the best of Dennis:

"The umpire's done himself a mischief."

"Scotty Cummings alone in the square, jumping up and down and waving his arms like they're playing My Sharona"

"Ugle playing on Peter Matera, fumbling around for the ball and probably his autograph book..."

"A couple of big touches from Clive Waterhouse, who was battling up until about 5 minutes ago, in danger of becoming Clive Waterboy."

Dermott: And the ball spills free to Kickett...

Commetti: Troy Cook you mean?

Dermott: Yes...well, they do look rather alike.

Cometti: How so Dermott?

Dermott: (realising that sounded rather racist) Umm, well, they are both..er..

Cometti: ..Midfielders, yes Dermott.

(After the McManus/Wirrpunda clash a few derbies back) "Shaun goes back to collect the ball, a free kick, and several teeth."

(From Melbourne vs Collingwood last year)

Healy: Word is this guy is the most reliable kick for goal in the side. They say down at Collingwood if you had to have someone kicking for your life, Tarkyn Lockyer would be the man.

Commetti: I'd prefer my mum

(silence)

Commetti: Not a great footballer, but at least she'd care.

"Ashley McIntosh, like a good hair spray...capable of a subtle hold."

"Barlow to Batemen, the Hawks are attacking alphabetically."

"Simon Cox, he prides himself on his disposal."

(Cox does a 15 metre short pass)

"Well, I could have done that!"

"The Magpies ought to be kicking themselves right now, but with their luck, they'd probably miss."

"Carl Steinfort looking more like Robert Walls than Robert Walls does."

"Bell bringing the ball out of the back line...looking for wide runners...passes to Walker...a contradiction in terms, really."

"The goal square's full of Bears, looks like we've got ourselves a convoy."

Cometti: McVeigh, bobbling like a cork in the ocean.

[Cue applause from all in the Nine box, as it was the debut 'cork in the ocean' call for the season]

Cometti: Well, it was cork material...

"The only change to the Eagles side is that Rowan Jones has had a haircut."

"Farmer may have an injury to his calf...hmmm, a farmer with a calf problem."

"Parker to Carr...sounds like a match made in heaven!"

(After Lloyd gives Wakelin a little slap on ANZAC Day)

"Whoa, there will be a duel at 5 o'clock."

Dennis: Dear shoots...wait on the goal umpire...behind. A wry smile there from the goal umpire, certainly a sense of the dramatic.

Don Scott: He's the danger man, Dennis.

Dennis: Who? The goal umpire?

Don Scott: No, Dear. Paul Dear.

Dennis: Brennan kicks out to the other side, straight to Paul Dear - you're uncanny Don.

Dennis: King to Ling.

Dermott: Just forward of the wing.

Dennis: Don't you start!

"It's a goal! A dream start for Hawthorn. Spider had both his legs taken out from under him - leaving only the other six to balance on..."

(Stewart Dew kicks for goal early in the first)

"He was brought here to do exactly that...(pause)...actually 5 more than that, he kicks a behind."

Dennis: Whoaaa CUMMINGS no it was almost a Modra like attempt we can see here in the replay

(Cummings shown in slow-motion)

Dennis: Modra, Modra, Modra

(Cummings gets no-where near the ball looking like a clown)

Dennis: CUMMINGS!

(A former Magpie, Crow and now Cat, Brenton Sanderson)

"He goes much better as a mammal."

(About Corey McKernan's poor form)

"He's like a long-jumper who can't reach the sand."

"I love that name Fixter. Sounds like something from a Batman movie - The Fixter...but I disgress..."

"There's talk of Karl Langdon offering his services to St Kilda, as if it wasn't bad enough being in 15th position."

(Richmond kicks up the middle towards Ray Hall)

"Richmond attack through the corridor in this case the Hall."

"Brown...down to Jones...all we need now is Smith."

(Tony Liberatore had just gone into a pack and emerges with blood gushing from one eye)

"Libba went into the pack optimistically and came out misty optically."

(Ball just sails over the line for a goal)

Dennis: That was absolutely wonderful!

Jason Bennett: What was it Dennis? (obviously after the 'centimeter perfect line')

Dennis: Wonderful!! ......... Oh, I missed my cue.

Dermott: Why do you suppose he went side on to take the mark?

Dennis: He probably was trying to impress the Russian judge.

"Ball in dispute, Lamb, now Yze the meat in the sandwich. Really, Lamb should be in the sandwich."

"If it was a set-play, they copied it from a Portugese bus time-table."

"How do you bear Rehn? Where's Stimpy???"

Commetti: Before this game, I would have bet the mortgage on the Western Bulldogs, but I guess this shows that I may join the ranks of the homeless...

(Lyon and Brereton joke about Dennis living out of a cardboard box)

[Now Kris Barlow having a shot on goal]

Commetti: Well you could bet your house.....ohh"

[barlow misses]

Lyon: You just lost your cardboard.

"Great stuff by Caracella - moments before McIntosh had treated him like a rent-a-car."

(Gaspar hits the post from 40 metres out)

"Gaspar, the unfriendly post."

"There is no footy god - only a footy accountant!"

(Richmond vs Essendon, the ball is passed to Hille of Essendon, with Rodan trying to spoil)

"He gave it his best, but that is a big hill to climb."

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

Duane Kuiper the Giants tv play by play:

real low key - Bond steps in. Here's the pitch......

*CRACK*

then......

HE HITS IT HIGH! HE HITS IT DEEEP! IT.......IS........OUTTTTAAA HERE......INTO MCCOVEY COVE!

also on defensive plays he does the same thing:

sharp grounder to feliz. to durham, They get one.....To Snow.......they.......GOT HIM!.....AND THAT ENDS THE INNING!

Mike Lange is my hero... Some of his classics from Penguins games:

"HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE SHOOTS AND SCORES!"

"Scratch my back with a hacksaw!"

"Hallelujah Hollywood!"

"Call Arnold Slick from Turtle Creek!" (Slick and Creek rhyme, btw)

"Oh, Eddie Spaghetti!"

"He hasn't scored since the eighth grade picnic."

"Good shot... Better save."

And then there's Myron Cope, inventor of the Terrible Towel, with his catchphrase: "Yoi!" Or if it's really good, "DOUBLE YOI!" :notworthy:

piratesSig.gif

OWNER -- Pittsburgh Spiders (UL) * Dynamo Missouri (PLA) * Montreal Maroons (SHL)

I love Ernie Harwell's "stood there like the house by the side of the road" on a called 3rd strike, and "the Tigers need instant runs here" when they're trailing after 7.

The best call I heard all year was on NESN, When Denis Leary and Lenny Clarke basically took over the broadcast booth for a couple of innings. As Johnny Damon was running from first to home on a double by Manny Ramirez, Leary shouted into the mic "run like you stole something, run like you stole something".

"Hats for bats. Keep bats warm. Gracias"

• 3 weeks later...
"Easy, I mentioned them in the other thread.

"'OOOOOHHHH BABY, WHAT A PLAY!!!' and 'GOD I LOVE THIS GAME!!!!!!' Kevin Harlan is the greatest. It's kind of depressing watching him do NFL games on CBS sometimes and he can't show the type of emotion he'd like to. It's pretty obvious when those times are, and God love him, he's still a die-hard Chiefs fan at heart, witness how different his calls can be in games involving the Chiefs compared to most any other games."

You see, when he was the Chiefs radio (and T-Wolves simulcasting) play-by-play voice, he was allowed to be a homer. When you go national, you are supposed to stay neutral unless you see something spectacular.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

It may seem obvious, but it's the truth!

I never said it wasn't the truth, just that it was obvious and thus you didn't need to explain it. Here's a hint on why you annoy people and are not liked. You annoy people when you explain obvious stuff like we are idiots who don't know anything about it or that we can't get the joke. When you go explain a joke some else makes you end up killing that joke. And then on top of that you make jokes about other people on the board that aren't funny. Basically, you come across as if you think you are the smartest and the funniest person on earth and that you think the rest of us are just idiots.

The best line from a sportscaster remains, "Do you believe in miracles? YES!"

Hands down. No question about it.

Runner-up: "THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT! THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT!"

You can't beat the classics, unless someone else comes up with a classic.

Archived