Rooney says no to pajama look

Sec19Row53

Saying that the Ravens looked like they were playing in pajamas, Dan Rooney says the Steelers WON'T adopt black pants to go with their black jerseys.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04316/410178.stm

Good for him, except for the part about thinking that home teams in the NFL should be required to wear white.

It's where I sit.

I agree. I don't like it when teams where the same color pants as their jerseys. Especially darker colors. Just too much.

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

Ahh... the old AOC debate...

I think it works sometimes, generally when the pant design is intergrated with the jersey (like the Broncos, for example). I also like it sometimes when the team is all white (I think Texas and Colorado Universities look great in all white, mainly because their pants don't have stripes on them).

There's also a lot of times I don't like it. Cardinals, Jets, Seahawks- I'm looking in your direction.

Great to hear. An all-black Steelers uniform would have looked terrible! :puke: The Steelers uniform is a classic and one of my favorites. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

For the most part, I don't like the all-one color look some NFL teams wear, like the Ravens, Cardinals, Jets, Seahawks or the Browns (with their orange alternate jerseys, helmet and pants). I'm sure if the Lions kept those hideous blue pants, they would have worn them with the home jerseys too. :puke:

And I can't stand it when Central Michigan brings out their all-maroon look, even if it's for only one game. The proper colors for Central's home uni are:

1. Maroon helmet

2. Maroon jersey

3. GOLD pants

In fact, I would like to see the Chippewas just dropped those maroon pants and went back to wearing gold pants on the road, like during the glory days.

Bloodhound.gif

felix_thinking_zps5e4863e9.gif?t=1380931

Home team has to wear white?

Huh--

what's wrong with variety & colour?

Anywaya--some teams look good in uni-colours--some don't...

It depends on the striping and the helmets...

CFL example--Argos all in white--good

Renegades all in black--good

colours & striping blend well

Eskimos all in white?

Bad--the helmet sticks out--if their helmet was green or white--it would look okay...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

A standing O from yours truly to Mr. Rooney for not taking an adaption of "The Harry High School" look a la Baltimore and Jacksonville.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

the Browns (with their orange alternate jerseys, helmet and pants).

The Browns have never worn all orange. I doubt they would either.

You're kidding. I thought they did once. The idea sounds so tacky that I figured they must have done that once. <_<

Guess that's not the first time I've been wrong. :Oo::wacko:

Bloodhound.gif

felix_thinking_zps5e4863e9.gif?t=1380931

Yes, the Steelers uniforms are classics, except for two things: 2. The logo on the helmet should be on both sides.

No, that's messing with TRADITION...and you don't mess with Pittsburgh's... :D

There was a REASON for them doing it that way - but I don't remember what that was, unfortunately. :cry:

It also happens to be their "identity". Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they'd have to get the NFL's ok to change any part of their uni, including the helmet.

sig1.gif

Yes, the Steelers uniforms are classics, except for two things: 2. The logo on the helmet should be on both sides.

There was a REASON for them doing it that way - but I don't remember what that was, unfortunately. :cry:

when they first decided to put a logo on their helmet, they decided tp put it on one side only for a season to see how it looked. they won the championchip that year, so it stays on one side for good luck.

when they first decided to put a logo on their helmet, they decided tp put it on one side only for a season to see how it looked. they won the championchip that year, so it stays on one side for good luck.

From the Steelers website:

The Steelers are the only NFL team that sports their logo on only one side of the helmet. At first, this was a temporary measure because the Steelers weren't sure they would like the look of the logo on an all-gold helmet. They wanted to test them before going all-out.

Equipment manager Jack Hart was instructed to put the logo only on one side of the helmet - the right side. The 1962 Steelers finished 9-5 and became the winningest team in franchise history to date. The team finished second in the Eastern Conference and qualified for the Playoff Bowl. They wanted to do something special for their first postseason game, so they changed the color of their helmets from gold to black, which helped to highlight the new logo.

Because of the interest generated by having the logo on only one side of their helmets and because of their team's new success, the Steelers decided to leave it that way permanently.

Today's helmet reflects the way the logo was originally applied and it has never been changed.

The Steelers' yellow pants are the perfect choice to go with their black jerseys, but I've never liked them with the white jerseys. Yellow and white is an awful color combination -- not enough contrast. They should wear black pants (yellow stripe down the leg) with the white jerseys. The black would match up perfectly with the black helmets.

And good luck or not, I would much prefer to see the logo on both sides of the helmet. It will never change, though.

Archived