Sign in to follow this  
DEAD!

Chelsea FC's new/old badge

Chelsea FC has will have a new logo for next season, actually it's supposed to resemble one of their old logos

NEW

badge_gold1.gif

1953-1986

crest_1953-1986.gif

Looks good. Still traditional looking, but cleaner and sharper.

It's fantastic news - the current Chelsea crest is terrible:

crest_1986-2005.gif

Here's the press release announcing the change.

Chelsea Football Club launches new badge

Friday, Nov 12, 2004

Chelsea has unveiled a badge intended to represent the club for the next 100 years.

The new design was launched at Stamford Bridge by Chelsea?s chief executive Peter Kenyon, accompanied by life vice-president Lord Attenborough, manager José Mourinho and group business affairs director Paul Smith.

It replaces the previous badge which has been in place since 1986. Prior to that there have been only three official club badges during Chelsea?s 100 year history.

Fans have been keen for many years for a return to the badge first used by the club in 1953 which was also the official badge when the League Championship was won, marking Chelsea?s 50th anniversary in 1955. 

Chelsea is delighted to announce that the new badge is based significantly on the 1950s original.

It will be effective from May 2005, in time for the club?s Centenary Season and a special Centenary version of the badge will be used during that year.

Kenyon said: ?We are incredibly proud of Chelsea?s heritage. The design of this new badge is based on the one from the 1950s and it was a conscious decision to do this.

?As we approach our Centenary Year, and the club embarks on a new and very exciting era, it is appropriate that we have a new identity that reflects our tradition and can represent us for the next 100 years.? 

It has also been announced that the name Chelsea Village which has been associated with parts of the Stamford Bridge complex and the Chelsea business, will be phased out, leaving the club with the single, worldwide brand identity of Chelsea Football Club.

Kenyon said: ?If you come to the ground to visit the hotels, the restaurants or the Megastore, you will be visiting Chelsea Football Club and not anything else. All successful business are built around one name, one brand, one identity and from today, ours is Chelsea Football Club.?

The new badge design has drawn praise from Lord Attenborough and Mourinho.

Lord Attenborough said: ?It is an emblem that personifies not only our past but also our excitement, dedication, ambition and aspirations for the future. I think it is terrific. It is beautifully designed and we couldn?t ask for more artistically because it says something.?

Mourinho added: ?When I look to this lion it looks arrogant, it is aggressive, it is powerful. He is proud of being a Chelsea lion.

?For me and for my players and for the people working with me who feel the responsibility of winning, I think it will make us even more aware of our ambition.

?The last thing we do every game before we go onto the pitch is someone asks in the dressing room who are you, and everyone says at the same time in a big shout from the heart, we are Chelsea. With this new identity, we may have a help.? 

Smith explained: ?The catalyst for this change was the Centenary and we though it would be a fitting moment to pay tribute to the club?s longevity.

?A new era for Chelsea deserves and demands a new badge. In the past 100 years Chelsea has been content with being the most popular club in west London, but the new Chelsea vision sees us challenging the idea that we can be the most popular club in the western hemisphere, and we add the eastern hemisphere to that challenge.

?Chelsea is a commercial enterprise but first and foremost it is a sporting organisation and you can see from the design there is a balance between Chelsea and Football Club.

?Some people see this as a retro design but for us that is a positive comment. We have taken the most famous and popular crest in Chelsea?s history as the framework.?

Here's the Centenary version:

badge_centenary1.gif

that's a news, that's why is good to hang out on this board, news fresh off the press. I didn't know too much about Chelse logo hisotry (as i know about Arsenal) but this is a big stepp. When Arsenal updated their logo few years ago it was just a modernized version of old logo(s) but this is complete turnover. I can't say yet if I like it or not, must see it on the jersey, but the current one is compositionaly good, but lion could be cleared up and that would be a great logo. So will they have a new jerseys neyt year, will they be retro like Middlesboroughs this year???

I like it. Great update of a classic design.

But... why does it have two volleyballs on it?

:D

In case you weren't kidding, those aren't volleyballs. They're what footballs used to look like before they went to the current construction.

Many teams still use the old football in their logo - ManU springs to mind as perhaps the most obvious one.

I emailed a friend of mine who's a Chelsea fan, and he's ecstatic. Of course, he did have a complaint - "Why are they putting "Centenary" and "100 Years" on it? Do they think we don't know what a centenary is?" B)

Very solid change. Before when i saw there current badge, it was hard to see it was a lion, in some instances it actually looked like a sheep.

Much needed change for the east London squad. Good looking change from the old logo. Next up on the change list...Spurs. The badge is great, however it is time for an update.

Much needed change for the east London squad. Good looking change from the old logo. Next up on the change list...Spurs. The badge is great, however it is time for an update.

First of all Chelsea is in West london.

Secondly to someone else's question a while back, yes Chelsea will have new kits for next year. No details as of yet, but this is the second year they have worn the currents and thats as long as a soccer kit lasts. No idea what they will be like though.

The 86- 05 logo is awful-it's too messy.

The old one is great & a classic look, and while I like the update foe it's clean lines, and smooth look--I prefer the original, but overall-it's a good move to change frrom the middle logo...

thats a cool crest..i see a couple of the Premiership clubs are looking into badge changes.

M'eh. I can't say I'm a big fan of this new crest. Not saying the previous incarnation is great, but I like the design and font they use. Seeing as how my mate Graeme from Edinburgh is a big Blues fan and really likes the older style logos, I think he'll enjoy this new one.

As for the Football, the "Volleyball" looking ones are still used in Europe today, in addition to the more recognized octagon pattern design. I beleive the Scottish Premier League is using the "Volleyball" style ball this season. They kinda go in and out of style, I suppose.

Chealsea FC: Still not as good as Man United, but great football nonetheless.

Chelsea will have new kits for next year.

Thank God adidas and Nike won't be doing these. At least they have a chance of getting a solid kit

good looking badge, but Chelsa still sucks!

Go Liverpool!

You will never walk alone....

As an Arsenal fan, I'm in complete agreement with Shark.

Great crest, lousy club. :P