Which 2012 Olympic candidate

OMMF

Which one of these do you like best?  

120 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. London (for some reason I just LOVE that ribbon)

2. NY (great classic looking logo)

3. Paris (the hidden love heart is great... suits the city a lot better than the London logo suits London)

4. Madrid (blech... wtf is that? looks like someone designed that in 5 seconds)

5. Moscow (just ewwww)

I think NYC's the best of the bunch. I hope they get the games, and they can have Olympic soccer matches at The Linc in '12.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

the london ribbon is also the london underground- saintsfan will tell you...

You can't trust Saintsfan, he's a bleeding liberal! :D

Here's the official release from the candidate city committee.

London's logo unveiled

Nov 17: The logo which will be at the heart of London's bid to stage the 2012 Olympic Games and Paralympic Games was unveiled today.

A team of abseilers descended down the face of the Tate Modern, revealing a giant banner featuring the logo as they went.

Devised by Kino Design, winners of a contest which attracted 1,100 entries, the logo features a multi-coloured ribbon following the course of the River Thames and weaving through the words "London 2012".

London 2012 Chairman Barbara Cassani said: "The Olympic Games embody competition, harmony and human endeavour.

"To me, the ribbon in the logo brings to mind the medals Olympians and Paralympians from around the world will come to London to compete for in 2012, or it could be the finishing line of a world class race.

"The colours of the ribbon represent the five continents of the world, from where London has drawn its dynamic people."

Andy Stanfield, of Kino Design, added: "We are delighted that our design has been chosen to represent London's bid for the 2012 Olympic Games.

"We chose the River Thames because it flows through the centre of London and is the point at which many of the city's waterways and communities meet.

"It is also symbolic of the people from all over the world that flow in and out of London, defining its style, personality and vibrancy.

"Our aim was to create a flexible logo that was integrated into the words 'London 2012' but would be strong enough to stand alone.

"The ribbon delivers that and can be used in many creative ways in the campaign to win the 2012 Olympic Games for London."

The Kino design was chosen by a panel of design experts, Olympians, future athletes and Londoners, all seeking to choose the design that captured the spirit of London and reflected all that a London Olympic Games will represent.

The Thames already forms an essential part of the London experience for visitors as it is the home of many of London's famous icons such as the London Eye, the Houses of Parliament, the Tower of London and, of course, Tate Modern.

The plans for the Olympic Games will spread the reach of natural beauty and vibrancy of the Thames to its tributary, the River Lea, in east London, where the Games will be centred.

CGP.gif

ok, but the underground maps still look like that. but i get the thames

Sorry everyones favourite bleeding hearyt liberal has been busy for a few days!! Yeah the ribbon is fairly obviously the Thames (if you have ever seen an episode of the Soap 'Eastenders' that would kind of be obvious!) And it doesn't look very much like the Underground at all!!!

Obviously I voted for the London Logo. Paris' looks too kitsch. NYC just looks too corporate for me, and the other too are just m'eh.

NYC doesn't stand much chance of getting a vote IMO. Too much interntional hatred of the US around at the moment (really you guys are hated at the moment sorry!!) Paris and London are the likliest winners. I think that London is building some momentum right now, and hopefully that will go through to July when the decision isd made.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

That NYC logo reminds me of something else... I thought it might have been the Australian Open logo but it might be something else.

aoLogo3.gif

liverpool-1.png

Sorry everyones favourite bleeding hearyt liberal has been busy for a few days!! Yeah the ribbon is fairly obviously the Thames (if you have ever seen an episode of the Soap 'Eastenders' that would kind of be obvious!) And it doesn't look very much like the Underground at all!!!

just in the colors

"We have nothing to fear except fear itself."

just in the colors

Fair enbough, although they are the colors from the olympic rings! Ha ha!!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Im for the NYC and the Paris logo. Its too close to call. But NYC deserves the games

I agree that NYC's logo is best. Very creative...

However, how does NYC deserve the games? The credentials are based on feasability of pulling off the games, game venues, transportation issues, sponsor moneys, and recent games in the country, among others. Considering how Atlanta had the 1996 Summer Games and SLC had the Winter Games in 2002, it's too soon for another American Olympics. Both Paris and London are far more deserving based solely on the fact they haven't hosted since everyone in my province got electricity.

But it all comes down to who gives the best presentation or lines the IOC's pockets the most...(I'm talking to you, Salt Lake City. <_< )

Well, remember these games are for 2012, that would mean there would be 10 years between US games.

I don't think New York will get because the plan is a mess. There will be no olympic stadium, that will get shut down in a lawsuit. The traffic already bad will be worse by stupid tourist who don't know where they are going. Then again I could be wrong about the traffic, because when the President was here in auust everyone left the city. I was able to go 65 on the FDR during rush hour.

As for security I think New York would be the safest. Our guard would be up, unlike 9/11. I personally think it would easier for a terrorist to get into and attack Paris than it would for them to get into New York.

Of course this is all 8 years in the furure so we won't know.

As for the logos, they all suck. But then again so do the olympics.

NYC doesn't stand much chance of getting a vote IMO. Too much interntional hatred of the US around at the moment

Uhh... are you aware that China is hosting the 2008 Olympic Games? I think international hatred has little to do with it.

Actually diplomaticxally people don't mind China too much at the moment, they are much less communist than they uased to be (I know someone who was in China recently and described it as the most capitalist place he has be too, even more so than the USA) Its all about getting new markets.

However there is no reason to give NYC the games on economic reasons. And the USA is horribly unpopular in places with a big say on the host of the 2012 games (the middle east and Europe are both well represented on the IOC committee).

Britain's participation in the Iraq war is a reason for Paris being big favourites at the moment.

And if you don't think these things count, well, they do.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived