Pacers/Pistons

vicfurth

"Made me think we were watching a game in Philly."

You're on EVERYBODY'S $#!+ list in Philly as of now.

Now that I've gotten that off my chest, IMHO, the three men involved (Artest, S. Jackson and J. O'Neal) should be thrown out of the league. These are serious charges that face these men face (assualt and battery). Remember, Latrell Spreewell got tossed for a year after his choking of P. J. Carlissimo's neck. No charges were filed then, and when the Auburn Hills Police Department uses ESPN's truck to find out who was the culprit, they might as well charge all three of them and to quote Tony Kornheiser of The Washington Post and PTI "prosicute them TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW!".

In addition to that, I think the Pistons and Pacers will pay a rather huge fine (around a million dollars each) for this, for what amounts to a "lack of control" situation.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is one of the most sickening displays I ever seen and proves again some people are complete A__HOLES COWARDS & SCUMBAGS!

First of all...Anybody in the stands involved in the fights or throwing item on the players and of on the floor needs to be stripped of any tickets they've purchased, NEVER allowed to buy ticket to another game again and must be arrested and prosicuted to the fullest excend of the law!

Any players involved in the fight must be suspended for at least half of the season & nailed with unpresidented fines to all involved.

AND...Ben Wallace who started the incident & Ron Artest for provoking the incident to continue, they "at absolute minimum" need to be suspendend for the remander of the season.

I also feel David Stern should look into the suspending both Wallace & Artest...PERMINATELY. I know it will never happen but if I'm the commish this is what my rulling. :cursing::cursing::cursing:

Holy smokes... that was embarassing...

I understand that Artest is a player you love to hate, especially the display laying down on the scoreboard making fun of the altercation... and when you got bad riled up fans like you sometimes get in Detroit, Philly, etc. it just doesn't mix.

But security takes care of fans like that. The Indiana players make the mistake of going after the guy in the stands, and I hope Artest, Jackson & O'Neal get huge fines and suspensions, but I hope the Detroit Police get involved in possible assault charges. I have no sympathy though for the fans who walked onto the court and got hit.

When you look at the whole picture... is it really the alcohol that creates these kind of situations? In a way, yes. Chris is probably a better judge at this then the rest of us cause he actually sees that way the drunk fans get on a day-to-day basis. And just think, he's in Toronto, where the fans are on the most part calm.

But banning alcohol would be a mistake though. As good as security can get in these facilities, people will find a way to bring it in. They always have, and they always will. Tightening security would be an effective solution, but it probably would hinder the experience of the average fan.

How about stadiums making alcohol/non-alcohol sections? Just a thought.

The NBA's in a bad situation right now. It's gotta act strongly and quickly on this or you will see attendance drops in every NBA city, especially in vulnerable places like Toronto.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

"How about stadiums making alcohol/non-alcohol sections? Just a thought."

They already do. I believe they call them "FAMILY SECTIONS!"

It needs more than 7-10 games suspension. I say each team has to forfit their next 15 home games with suspensions to certin players, big ones. Unless they play eachother, in that case they either play in an empty stadium like europe or play in some mid western city that doesn't have a team. Away from both cities. Wallace over reacted a whole lot. Artest had to know his cocky rest would have made some fans mad. Also there is no way Artest saw the fan that threw that bottle at him, I think he just charged after the scrawniest looking guy. This was a discrace, there were kids scared for their life, old women getting stomped on. It will be sad if they will have to put plexiglass like hockey around the arena. I know they won't but they need to do something. I know the Pistons won't get same punishment has the Pacers but they need to they should take punishment because of the fans. The Fans need a punishment too. So a good way is no fans in a pistons home game for 5 games.

Hate to say this to ya, stimpson, but I don't think that'll happen at all. It may work in Europe, but if you were to do that in the USA, the Pistons (who own the building, BTW) would lose a lot of money from parking, concessions, ticket sales, and so forth. In a situation like that, IMHO, everyone loses.

For the record, there was an old phrase used back in the day calling basketball players "cagers" because they put a twenty-foot cage around the court so the ball would not fly into the bleachers. The practice was discontinued a long time ago. Personally, I don't want to see a 100-foot long by 60-foot wide by 30-foot high steel cage around the court when people pay up to $2K at a place like Madison Square Garden.

Two points.

First, LogoCollector, you missed something. Ron Artest started all of this when he fouled Ben Wallace. B. Wallace simply was reacting to what he tought was a flagrant foul by pushing him. Both of them in my view were going to be ejected. The game was - for the sake of sanity - over when it happened. B. Wallace will likely get a five-game suspension at most.

And second, Braden, they may be called the Detroit Pistons, but the team (and their WNBA sisters, the Shock) play in The Palace of Auburn Hills, which is thirty-five miles north of Motown. If the police in Detroit were to be involved, that would really be a waste of Detroit's tax dollars. It's the Auburn Hills Police (and county D. A offices) that will file charges in all likelihood.

Lemme put things in perspective, Craven. Philly fans have booed anything that moves, thrown things on the field many times, & (this one takes the cake for me, anyway) Eagles' fans cheered when Michael Irvin had his career ended by a neck injury. Now, I don't remember anytime whens fans charged the field/players, but the cheering an injury, especially a career ending (at best) and life-threatening (at worst) one, is worse than what happened yesterday.

If I'm on your ____ list for that, then so be it.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

It's a good thing that happened late in the game with the outcome bascially determined and most of the fans had already left. Imagine had this been a really close game with a sell-out crowd still in the arena. As bad as it is, it potentially could have been much worse.

EDIT: Perhaps the larger crowd would have prevented Artest from going that far into the crowd.

I saw, I came, I left.

It's not just my $#!+ list, vicfirth, but a lot of loyal fans.

The points are these:

• [1.] The first words any baby born in Philadelphia has always seemed to be "Dallas Sucks" according to Angelo Cataldi, a popular morning radio talk show host on WIP-AM 610 here in Philadelphia.
    [2.] The artificial concerte at the late, not-so-lamented Veterans' Stadium not only ended Michael Irvin's career, but it ended a Chicago Bears wide recievers' career when he landed on the field, injuring both his knees.
    [3.] In 1989, Cowboys kicker Luis Zendehas, a former Eagle, has what amounted to a "bounty" on him during the Thanksgiving Day game. Two weeks later, in a rematch against said Cowboys, hatred and some booze amounted to roudiness to the point where even the future mayor of Philadelphia and current Governor of the Comonwealth of Pennsylvania, Edward G. Rendell, threw some snowballs at Dallas.

And Philadelphia ain't the only place stuff like this happened. Remember a nationally telecast Giants-Chargers game at the Meadowlands back in the 1990's? Giants fans were outraged about the teams' poor finish and it had snowed the day before. As a result, angry Giants fans pelted snowballs on anything that moved, especially those in Chargers' colors. Since then, the NFL has instituted procedures on how snow should be removed from stadiums before kickoff to prevent such an event from happeneing again.

It's not just my $#!+ list, but a lot of loyal fans.

The points are these:

• [1.] The first words any baby born in Philadelphia has always seemed to be "Dallas Sucks" acording to Angelo Cataldi, a popular morning radio talk show host on WIP-AM 610 here in Philadelphia.

That still doesn't atone for cheering when someone broke his freakin neck. You just don't do that, not only is it wrong, I'd begin to think something is morally wrong with them bastards :cursing:

But here's my .02 on the Pistons/Pacers Hootenanny: I believe, as much as I hate to admit to it, that this is 85% Artest's fault, 15% Fans/Other Players fault, and 5% Ben Wallace's. Why??? Because Artest's the one with the reputation of flagrant fouls, and what was the event that sparked this brawl??? His flagrant foul on Ben Wallace. Now, if it had anybody else, Wallace would've probably given the dude a few choice words. But no, this was Ron "I gotta knock someone the fluff out every time he goes to the hoop" Artest. So, knowing he had a history of this, I'd bet Wallace decided to get it out of his system and knock him out, and that's where it goes to hell. So I say there should be fines, suspensions, whatever to all the players involved with it, and something big for Artest and Wallace.

The points are these:

• [1.] The first words any baby born in Philadelphia has always seemed to be "Dallas Sucks" acording to Angelo Cataldi, a popular morning radio talk show host on WIP-AM 610 here in Philadelphia.

That still doesn't atone for cheering when someone broke his freakin neck. You just don't do that, not only is it wrong, I'd begin to think something is morally wrong with them bastards :cursing:

But here's my .02 on the Pistons/Pacers Hootenanny: I believe, as much as I hate to admit to it, that this is 85% Artest's fault, 15% Fans/Other Players fault, and 5% Ben Wallace's. Why??? Because Artest's the one with the reputation of flagrant fouls, and what was the event that sparked this brawl??? His flagrant foul on Ben Wallace. Now, if it had anybody else, Wallace would've probably given the dude a few choice words. But no, this was Ron "I gotta knock someone the fluff out every time he goes to the hoop" Artest. So, knowing he had a history of this, I'd bet Wallace decided to get it out of his system and knock him out, and that's where it goes to hell. So I say there should be fines, suspensions, whatever to all the players involved with it, and something big for Artest and Wallace.

85 Artest, 15 Pistons fans, and 5 Big Ben = 105.

As percentages, this would then be ...

Artest 81%

Pistons fans 14.3%

Big Ben 4.7%

Philadelphia fans have a right to be defensive. Post #3 in a Pacers/Pistons thread drags the fans of Philadelphia into the discussion. Why? Do we really want to compare bad sportsmanship (Eagle fans assessing the situation of Dallas losing its top receiver, seeing that as a positive, not really thinking at the moment of the seriousness of the situation) with throwing thigns onto the court, or better yet, running onto the court and stepping to Artest?

Here's where I suppose someone is bound to bring up the penalty box incident at the (then) First Union Center between a Flyer fan and Tie Domi. The glass separating row 1 from the penalty box gave way, and all of a sudden, overweight Flyer fan was getting the business end of Domi's fist. The glass dislodging shouldn't have happened, and should have been a decent enough means of separation.

Overweight Pistons fan in Tigers hat runs onto the court to step to Artest. Are you kidding me? That's far from being guiltless.

The ultimate solution I think is to put a moat between the playing area and the fan area. Yeah, courtside seats have to be pushed back. Fans need to know where to draw the line, as do players. If they don't know where that line is, make it much clearer.

Any further comments in this thread really should pertain to Pistons/Pacers. Philadelphia had nothing to do with this. Nothing.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

The points are these:

85 Artest, 15 Pistons fans, and 5 Big Ben = 105.

As percentages, this would then be ...

Artest 81%

Pistons fans 14.3%

Big Ben 4.7%

Philadelphia fans have a right to be defensive. Post #3 in a Pacers/Pistons thread drags the fans of Philadelphia into the discussion. Why? Do we really want to compare bad sportsmanship (Eagle fans assessing the situation of Dallas losing its top receiver, seeing that as a positive, not really thinking at the moment of the seriousness of the situation) with throwing thigns onto the court, or better yet, running onto the court and stepping to Artest?

Here's where I suppose someone is bound to bring up the penalty box incident at the (then) First Union Center between a Flyer fan and Tie Domi. The glass separating row 1 from the penalty box gave way, and all of a sudden, overweight Flyer fan was getting the business end of Domi's fist. The glass dislodging shouldn't have happened, and should have been a decent enough means of separation.

Overweight Pistons fan in Tigers hat runs onto the court to step to Artest. Are you kidding me? That's far from being guiltless.

The ultimate solution I think is to put a moat between the playing area and the fan area. Yeah, courtside seats have to be pushed back. Fans need to know where to draw the line, as do players. If they don't know where that line is, make it much clearer.

Any further comments in this thread really should pertain to Pistons/Pacers. Philadelphia had nothing to do with this. Nothing.

Whoopsy daisy... Got caught up in the heat of the moment I guess :D

But I agree with the thing about how courtside seats should be pushed back. Or at least, the people courtside have some manners. But still, even though the fans were wild as hell, Artest & Friends were wilder, so they still get the blame IMO.

Artest, and the other people involved in going into the stands, and the fan who through the bottle should all be thrown in jail for the night. If you saw some guy on the street chuck a beer at another guy, and then him and his buddies went after him and beat him down, theyd all be arested. Those were criminal activities, and the players involved should be out for the season, and fined a ridiculous amount, and this should go to court.

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

I'm just going to say this about non-alchohol stadiums:

My local racetrack (Tri-State Speedway) banned alchohol..every drop. But people still got it in there...if it's hard to stop at a 1300 seat racetrack..you think it's possible at a NBA arena?

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

Archived