2004 sports identity awards

kc51design

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If there is a return of the SLOTY, will the VCL be far behind... haha, just kidding, I dont think those ever finished.

The first VCL tournament finished, I forget who won tho -- I know I didn't, and JQK didnt... and that's about it :)

I forgot the first one did finish.. and in the internet way-back machine, I actually found it...

Spectres.gif

The San Francisco Spectres by Joe DeAngelis

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Sabres, those would be categories only for 2004, Toledo Storm should get a lifetime achivement worst logo, but let's just focus on 2004, mimic Oscar, Emys, MTV music awards.

So apparently there is interest in doing it, and being just a memeber here I would ask leaders to take charge, so that this becomes legit. Let's see who can do what. Can we decide who gets to vote, and who picks the judges, can judges vote be a 75% of a grade, and everyone else on the board can contribute for other 25%? If this gets going who would approach Paul Lucas, or do we wont him in judges pannel? Can someone make a web page with all nominees when we announce them? So there's some work to do, and I already suggested some categories (page1), maybe for the start everyone can suggest categories thay would like to vote on. Let's not go wild and have them too many.

"Sounds cool.  I just wish there were a worst logo catagory so the Toledo Storm would get something."

I agree. Call it the Trashcan Award.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

Catagories:

Sports Logo of the Year

Uniform of the Year

Logo Package of the Year

Throwback Uniform of the Year

New Logo of the Year

New Uniform of the Year

Sporting Event Logo of the Year

Playing Surface Design of the Year

I would prefer not to have a vote, but have a committee of the top, most respected, oldest members of the board (the respect things knocks me out of contention), and have a presentation, much like the oscars or something.... I'll even make a vector representation of the award.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I'd like to participate.

Once we determine the categories, we should probably have a nominating round, followed by selection of winners by the judging committee.

that's a good idea.

sB9ijEj.png

I do like the 2 tiered system of votes in a way, so that all members have a say, but the result is not a result of memebers who are mostly lurkers then stuffing the ballot box, so to speak...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

What if you have say, 5 senior posters as judges. Then a vote amongst other members to be a "sixth judge" if you will. Obviously the numbers could change, but I think having a People's choice judge would be cool.

I like this idea...I'd also like a poster's award. Everyone that wants to summits one concept they've done, any sport real or fake and then a logo they've done, any sport real or fake.

Best Poster Logo

Best Poster Uniform Concept.

I also think if we do a worst logo, just throw everything from the lower minor leagues out the window. Just keep it basically to teams that appear to have spent some kind of money. So no ABA, NIFL, etc. Just my opinion. We could call it the ABA award though :)

So if there were a number of appointed judges, I tink it would be very important to appoint judges with differing logo tastes--

So NOT a panel of judges that all love retro, or all hate retro, but some of each, and maybe one or two that don't care if a design is retro or not, but thta will judge it on it's own merit...

That way all the logos will have a fighting chance...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Let's see, categories:

Best logo for a new team

Best logo family (primary, secondary, wordmark)

Best redesigned logo

Best new unifom set

Best alternate uniform

Best event logo

A couple of suggestions:

1. No award for best alternate uniform. The purpose of a uniform is uniformity. The recent trend toward alternate uniforms has made uniforms significantly less, um, uniform. The 2004 Minnesota Twins, for example, had 8 different uniforms they could wear thanks to alternate shirts and caps. Somewhere around the point of a different set of clothes for every day of the week a wardrobe ceases to be a uniform. The single category of best uniforms would allow for rewarding teams that got it right the first time and don't need alternates to look good as well as teams that have good overall packages including attractive alternates. The weight given to the presence or absence of alternates will be up to the voters, which seems to me to be as it should be.

2. Instead of awards for best new logo and best redesigned logo, which dilutes the significance of the award, I would say just have an award for best new logo design. Could be a logo for a new team or it could be a new logo for an old team. If you're going to make subcategories of new logos, rather than doing it on the basis of new team/old team, I'd do it by sport. Best New Logo (Baseball), BNL (Hockey), BNL (Football), etc.

20082614447.png

Let's see, categories:

Best logo for a new team

Best logo family (primary, secondary, wordmark)

Best redesigned logo

Best new unifom set

Best alternate uniform

Best event logo

A couple of suggestions:

1. No award for best alternate uniform. The purpose of a uniform is uniformity. The recent trend toward alternate uniforms has made uniforms significantly less, um, uniform. The 2004 Minnesota Twins, for example, had 8 different uniforms they could wear thanks to alternate shirts and caps. Somewhere around the point of a different set of clothes for every day of the week a wardrobe ceases to be a uniform. The single category of best uniforms would allow for rewarding teams that got it right the first time and don't need alternates to look good as well as teams that have good overall packages including attractive alternates. The weight given to the presence or absence of alternates will be up to the voters, which seems to me to be as it should be.

2. Instead of awards for best new logo and best redesigned logo, which dilutes the significance of the award, I would say just have an award for best new logo design. Could be a logo for a new team or it could be a new logo for an old team. If you're going to make subcategories of new logos, rather than doing it on the basis of new team/old team, I'd do it by sport. Best New Logo (Baseball), BNL (Hockey), BNL (Football), etc.

I happen to like mt catagories. There are only a few, and they concern most topics discussed, and concepts drawn up by, the members of this board

sB9ijEj.png

Archived