2004 sports identity awards

kc51design

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think what we need is basically someone to spearhead this. We can go around and around what to do, who to nominate, and we could be arguing until january. So, someone just needs to do it and make choices based on the opinions offered thus far here instead of their own intensions. (not that anyone would of course!) Its nearly december, I think a first week in january would be a good time to release the results. So far the most interest in doing this has been displayed by Paynomind, JQK, and KCdesign51. I think any one of you would do an excellent job getting it all together.

Paynomind, I like your ideas for the "Lifetime achievement" if you will. Good thoughts. I still think having a all board poll as an additional judge vote would be excellent. I don't think there is a question that this board is the leading board when it comes to sports logos/uniforms.

KCDesign, I think it'd be great if this could extend outside the relm of this board. But I think we need to start somewhere. If we displayed something here amongst ourselves, and contacted Lucas to display the results, that would be amazing in itself. We start small, aim high. But If you, or we, can get contacts and such outside and get commitments, that'd be awesome.

Guys I really think we can make this work, but we have to start small -- can't aim for the big leagues already.

I think a "Best Overall Logo" perhaps for each league/sport would be great, but not every year -- maybe every 2 or 4 years like the olympics.

If I were to run it my way, I would choose a group of members to pick their top 5 or so in each category and from those results we would narrow it down to 3-5 candidates the members can vote on.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

There might be a way to get more people involved, but it could just be an extraneous step...

We could have a nominating committee as well as a voting committee, if we are picking 11 or so to be the judges. The nominating committee might not be necessary, if every logo/uniform/identity that's introduced is eligible.

Someone else made a good point about the "year". What would be the limits for the year? Would it be anything that is made public between January 1 and December 31?Or would the entry be tagged with the beginning of its team's regular season?

Example, say the Red Sox introduce new uniforms at a press conference today, November 29. Would they be eligible for a 2004 award, or does it carry over to the beginning of the regular season, thus making it a 2005 entry?

I support all those names who have been mentioned thusfar as possible judges. I feel that all those people do great jobs of expressing their opinions, and not just one word responses or taglines (bbssetc). I also think that it shouldn't be limited to contributing artists, as there are quite a few non-posting members who have discernable eyes for good design as well.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

well, getting a guest judge would be great, and we've got plenty of contacts right here. Joe Bosack and Mr. Flynn(I'm sorry,I'm unsure of your first name) are right here as members. Plus notable others I am sure I am forgetting.

Ok, here is how is how i see it. Since this is the first year we are making a real effort at this, we should have a special catagory for the best current logo, which will be open to all sports logos. So, thusly, the Catagory list would look like so:

Award for Timeless Design Excellence

Sports Logo of the Year 2004

Uniform of the Year 2004

Identity Package of the Year 2004

Throwback Uniform of the Year 2004

Sporting Event Logo of the Year 2004

Playing Surface Design of the Year 2004

Concept of the Year 2004 (CCSLC Members)

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

OK, I like the categotries, all but the last, I think our board memebers should get more then one award for different concepts, but that should go into different competition, + we already have competitions like crossover, and I think outside public wouldn't care for our concepts, or maybe they would.

Bring Mr. Flynn and Joe Bosac as judges.

So everyone let's accept (or decline) King's categories so we can move on with nominees, and who's steping forward to choose judges, I see King and Creamer leading things here.

And for the name I like SLOTY better then SLUNI, just my opininon.

The award should be based on calendar year, no matter what season. Or maybe we could limit it from December 1st to December 1st so we have a onth to vote, and anaunce it right after New Years.

One thing I want to mentin, I want to see this as a award on world basis, not just northamerican, so we must include into nominees teams like Hamburg SeaDevils, Juventus with new logo, all those new soccer kits, as well as Aussie rules, rugby, and maybe even in olympic year have an award for best dressed olympians???

I think a "Best Overall Logo" perhaps for each league/sport would be great, but not every year -- maybe every 2 or 4 years like the olympics.

If I were to run it my way, I would choose a group of members to pick their top 5 or so in each category and from those results we would narrow it down to 3-5 candidates the members can vote on.

Chris:

I think the Best NFL Logo, Best NBA Logo, Best NHL Logo, etc categories would be a great addition every two-four years. Lets start this first awards WITH them!

As far as the 'group' picking nominees, then the public picking winners... that isn?t exactly what I would do, I think the public voting should be worth one judge's vote. Like, have 8 judges, and the public vote. Kinda like other award shows do. But I am fine with your idea, if that?s what you wanna rock. The 'group' can narrow down the nominees to a group of truly deserving designs, so then the winner will be a good design no matter what. I think the question of "How many nominees" should be determined by the 'group' on each category, each year, based on supply of good designs.

King:

Allow me to take a look at your award categories...

Award for Timeless Design Excellence - I love this concept. It will be fun to award.

Sports Logo of the Year 2004 - Anyone think we could divide this up a little? For instance, "Major League LOTY, Minor League LOTY, College LOTY" and we can open up or shut down categories depending on supply? Like, if during a year, we don?t get any new college logos that are award worthy, we simply don?t award one?

Uniform of the Year 2004 - Excellent

Identity Package of the Year 2004 - So, is this a 'duplicate' award? Like, seems to me that while not set in stone, CHANCES ARE that a winner of best logo or best uni would win this award too.

Throwback Uniform of the Year 2004 - I nominate that we change this to Alt. Throwbacks, in theory will never be new. They will simply be an old uni they just re-wore, thereby making this award stale. This award would not reward creativity, just an old design we liked, which is what the Timeless Excellence is for, right? The Alts are actually 'designed' and thereby more worthy of an award in my mind.

Sporting Event Logo of the Year 2004 - I agree with somehow getting League logos in the awards. Is splitting this award between the two categories an appropriate way to do it?

Playing Surface Design of the Year 2004 - I am simply ignorant of this, so help me out with a little knowledge: Are they any breaking 'designs' in field surfaces?

Concept of the Year 2004 (CCSLC Members) - Could we call this "Armature Concept" and not limit it to CCSLB, and accept submissions on our website? I wouldn't hesitate to imagine that the winner would BE a CCSLB design, but for the sake of seeming impartial, should we open it up?

NEW- should we add trophy design? I guess the trophies stay the same pretty much. Never mind.

NEW- How about a Sour Grapes Award? Like, the new release we thought could have gone better. Then, we could also have the "Stale Cheese Award" for the logo we most think is ready, or overdue for redesign. I know someone stated they didn?t want to get to into the negatives, but I think incorporating our own Razzys allow us to make full commentary on the industry, rather than just the positive side. We don?t need to stress them, and can word them carefully to not out-and-out be rude.

I like what we've got so far.

I say, Chris... make your picks for folks, and lets get them involved with working on the project. I'd say PM them, and get them all talking (Assuming I am one of them, I'll help put together a mailing list and so forth.)

Oh, also... SLOTY is better.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Award for Timeless Design Excellence

Sounds a little too much like the "Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence" to me.

Chris, I'm around if you need me for anything. I'm a pain in the ass, but I can organize like a mother.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

paynomind, good point. I'll take your suggestion and add to it. So Sports logo of the year would be a category that would have subcategories: Proffesional SLOTY, College SLOTY, College SLOTY, and maybe some other subcategories, and the winners of all subcategories would go voting for the top prize. So winners of the subcategories could get a silver leaf (acctual trophy), while the winner of them all could get a gold leaf (or whatever we make that trophy).

Also, I don't like those alt or throwback awards, they only exist in US pro sports and as someone mentioned, they are part of the whole identity.

The whole identity shold consist of primary logo, all other logos and uniforms.

Playing surface design is also so narrow to football and basketball, who else is doing that.

Event logo and League logo could also go into subcategories under Alternative logos and if in that year some league breaks out with new logo we can vote on it to give them award or not, if they did a poor job, and here the winners of the subcategories would get silver something while the winner of winners would get gold, or noone would get anything since we didn't think that year producet any award winning designs.

As for negative awards, as I was the one that disagreed, now I can say I like the idea of sour grape and stale chees awards.

So is it SLOTY? The whole idea is here to give award to the best logo of the year, and everything else goes as support.

And to echo paynomind, let's pick 8 judges and everyone else on the board would count for 9th judge.

What if your panel picked 4 or 8 nominees for each category and then a bracket style voting system would get us a winner and runner up? For categories with 8 nominees, sticky a poll for each round (1 day per round) and you'd have a winner/runner up in 3 days. For categories with 4 nominees, just start the poll on the second day (they'd all run concurrently). It would take only 3 days (once the nominees are presented) for the whole thing to be over. Also, this way, one logo / team can't win without really getting the most votes. Also, on the header of each poll, one of the nominating panel would write up some things to notice about each logo / uniform being voted on. Not necessarily their opinion, but things that we should all be thinking about when we vote. Just a thought.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Here's what I think:

Eight judges, CC is the main judge. He picks three people to act as the permanent judging committee. Four different people per year act as alternate judges, ever-changing, people can repeat as judges, but not in consecutive years.

Those judges pick what they feel are five strong logos, which everyone can vote on, in a secret poll. The logo with the most votes gets a "People's Choice Award".

Welcome to DrunjFlix

So, Lami.. what youa re saying is that we have awards, picked by the judging committee, and then have another award called the people's choice, that is decided by open voting? I like that, too.

I think we have this pretty close to being hammered down at this point, and the next step would be to have Chris get his team together. Then, the team can finalize the few loose ends, and begin to rock and roll.

Make sence?

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Archived