Is Murali a chucker?

Alphabet Man

Is Sri Lankan cricket team spinner, Muttiah Muriladaren a chucker?  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

insult, your supposed to have a straight arm when bowling but he bends it so therefore he is a chucker imo

So wait a minute -- I'm confused. So are we talking about bowling or cricket? Or is 'Bowling' the term used for, like, 'pitching' in baseball, or something else?

IUe6Hvh.png

This is a pretty tough question, but I voted no. I think its possible to answer the question in both ways, but I voted 'no' essentially because I think his arm is built in an almost unique way which allows it to do things which normal people can't. There was a bit he did on tv in England over the summer which showed how some of the extra spin comes from essentially 'dislocating' his arm from the shoulder whilst delivering. So the arm esentially remains straight, but gets rotation from a longer pivot, so he is able to impart more spin onto the ball. Anyways in my view Warne is the better bowler as he has performed excellently well on pitches that shouldn't suit a spin bowler.

BTW sorry for you Americans who have no idea what that means!!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Bowling is like the pitching of baseball, except, instead of throwing the ball, it must be delivered with a straight arm.

The Law actually states the arm must not straighten during the delivery of the ball.

To make up for it, he can take a run up before letting go of it.

In cricket, the ball usually hits the ground as this can make the ball deviate, adding another variation to the delivery of the ball.

Murali is a spin bowler, meaning he takes a short run up, but gets the ball to deviate a lot once it hits the ground, before the batter gets to hit it.

If he straightens his bowling arm, his delivery is illegal, as he is throwing (chucking) the ball.

He argues that given his arms is bent through deformity from birth, he cannot make it completely straight.

However, that doesn't mean it doesn't straighten somewhat, from bent to nearly straight.

Further details here

Cricket Terms

Chucking - Illegally throwing a ball. To chuck something is to throw it.

Pitch - The ground on which the game is played.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

Archived