Butch Davis Fired in Cleveland

JamesCraven

Butch Davis, after getting a vote of confidence and a 3-8 record, has been fired as Cleveland Browns head coach. The last straw was Sunday's (11/28) 58-48 loss at Cincinnati to the Bengals.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

They said that he resigned, but he didn't announce it, the team did, and they are honoring his contract still. Obviously, he was fired, but they agreed to call it a resignation.

Or The browns actually have a press office, and Butch doesn't!! (Although I guess he has agents and stuff!)

Also its a strange time to fire a coach. they can't do much time to change things tuill the end of the season.

Although according to the Browns website, Davis' 'resignation' repreasents the first step in the new owner building the football organization. So who knows???

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I believe that the Browns organization will make a concerted push to sign Scott Pioli (currently the Patriots' Vice President of Player Personnel) as their General Manager and Vice President of Football Operations.

Pioli is a master talent evaluator whose skill at finding players that fit the Patriots' system is often overshadowed by Bill Belichik's coaching accomplishments. He's regarded as a salary cap "guru" by his peers, who voted him the George Young NFL Executive of the Year Award. He began his NFL career as a personnel assistant in the Browns organization and would consider the team a great outfit to work for given the city's place as a traditional, "old guard" NFL community.

If the Brown's are successful in hiring Pioli away from New England, Pioli will do everything in his power to hire the Patriots' current Defensive Coordinator, Romeo Crennel, as Cleveland's new head coach.

Except Pioli's under contract with the Pats till 2006. Unless Cleveland shells out some kind of compensation, he's going nowhere.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Yes, but the standard NFL contract for front-office personnel allows an employee to leave for a job that is a promotion, with the current employer franchise gaining compensation. The Browns will argue that Vice President of Football Operations AND General Manager trumps Pioli's current title of Vice President of Player Personnel. What's more, if the Browns are serious about turning their organization around, they'll come up with the compensation package for the Pats.

Is it a guarantee that Pioli's going to the Browns? No. However, if the Browns SERIOUSLY want him, Pioli's current contract isn't going to be enough to keep him in New England.

I always like the expression resigned. How many of these coaches really resign on their own?

Most are encouraged to resign to avoid the embarassment of being fired but is it nott he same thing in the end?

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived