Why Does Everyone?

EagleFan344

First of all, I don?t think there is an overwhelming or unfair preponderance of Eagle-hating going on. That strikes me as a bit paranoid on your part. So far this year, I gauge a healthy level of respect for them nationally, a half a cup of fear (for having to play them) and a pinch of ambivalence due to them being in the generally weak NFC.

Second, and quite frankly, they haven?t done anything. I?d go so far as to say you are lucky they are not more of a joke nationally. They lost their only Superbowl appearance. They squandered one of the best defensive teams ever in the early nineties. The vaunted ?going to change the way the game is played forever? predecessor to Michael Vick (Randall Cunningham) did not lead them to the promised land. They got rid of HOFer Cris Carter. They are one of those clubs, like the late 80s and early 90s Chiefs, that is always a factor, but never the one. And combine that with the three straight title game chokes (2 at home no less) and you?ve got some epic Vikings/Bills-style choking on your hands. I?d say the Eagles are pretty highly regarded considering their history over the last 15 years.

I think it?s a testament to their ownership and Andy Reid that this team has stayed competitive, respected and is not a league-wide joke for their failures. Reid has never been heard to whine about those three straight losses and has always moved forward with an evenness and professionalism. He leads from the top down and never begs for respect or attention.

Now, granted, there is SOME hatred of the Eagles. There is going to be some hatred for any good team. Terrell Owens in, well, very hate-able. McNabb is?I won?t say overrated, but he?s only a marginal passer and that has hurt him when pure passing is necessary. And fairly or unfairly, when you play in big games and don?t perform people get tired of hearing how amazing you are.

All in all though, I think the owners, coaches and players of the Philly Eagles are a pretty solid, likeable bunch of guys. I?m a Packer fan and I don?t hate the Eagles because of 4th and 26. WE blew that play. There is nothing to hate. Green Bay rushed for over 200 yards against them twice last year and lost both times. That is on the Pack, not Philly. When they beat you, you?re beaten. Plain and simple. They don?t have any controversial cut-block techniques or questionable calls going their way. They?ve got a loud player, but not any dirty ones.

Frankly, I don?t remotely understand why you felt the need to start this thread. They?ve never won a Superbowl. You?re lucky the average opinion of them is so high. Maybe you are too close to the subject matter??.got some self-loathing going on. No non-NFC East people REALLY hate the Eagles. Now, talk to me after Sunday and we?ll see how I feel then. Go Pack!

PS ? and their unis are VERY cool.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TO is all that is good and right about NFL football. You can have your Faverah, your Pay-a-Ton, and all those ninnies. I'll take TO, he is awesome.

Now, now, now. Very great points up until ya had to go and drag Favre and Manning into this. ^_^

While I agree, T.O. is what is right with the game of football, it's also Brett Favre and Peyton Manning that have qualities that every football player should try and emulate.

Not one person works as hard as Peyton Manning. He gameplans with the O-Coordinator, he watches more film than anybody in the league, he is more prepared than anybody in the NFL, he calls plays on occassion, he makes the audibles, and he is the entire reason why that Colts offense is great.

And Brett Favre is always there for his teammates, no matter what. And with the exception of Steve McNair, maybe McNabb, Brett Favre is the last player I'd call a ninnie. He plays through what seems like a permanently broken throwing hand (atleast one figner is always broken), plays when he can barely walk, plays through tragic life events.

But once again, you're completely right about T.O. -- no trouble off the field, and he backs up his talk on the field.

IUe6Hvh.png

I love T.O.

He has been in exactly zero trouble off the field, he plays hard every game, he doesnt celebrate until he scores. He is a dominating WR. He is in phenominal shape because he is dedicated to his off-season regiment. When his team gets down, he is a team leader and motivates them. A few weeks ago on the sidelines, McNabb said, "well, this one is over" and TO told him, "no! Its not over." TO encouraging McNabb to keep working hard was shown on tv, with no audio, and it looked like him bitching, but it was him getting his teammate hyped back up for the game.

TO is all that is good and right about NFL football. You can have your Faverah, your Pay-a-Ton, and all those ninnies. I'll take TO, he is awesome.

Payno, I'm usually 100% in line with you , but not here.

I agree with the off vs on-field portion. He's a decent human being. But it's not ever about team with him. It's always about him.

In that crazy OT loss to Chicago in '01......Garcia threw a perfect pass to TO over the middle, to which he alligator-armed it cause he was going to get popped.......he tipped it up in the air and into Mike Brown's arms for the winning score.

I can deal with that, people make mistakes. But after the game he felt the need to blame Mooch. Saying he let up on his buddy Jauron in the 4th quarter. Besides being a ridiculous accusation, he glossed over the fact that it was HE, who essentially lost the game with his chicken-:censored: play. In his mind, he has NEVER done anything wrong or contributed in any way to his teams losing a game. Ever. In fact, the only thing he's ever apologized for is that stupid MNF intro. He's a terrific athlete, as you said, a truly dominant receiver, and not a bad guy really. But you've NEVER heard Favre or Manning deflect the blame for a loss. That is leadership, that is responsibility.

You should not worry about who hates them any way if you are hated it means you are good, remember nobody hates the Arizona Cardinals.

Correction.

I hate the Arizona Cardinals and have hated them ever since March, 1988 when they packed up my childhoold and adolescence and carted it off to Phoenix.

Bastards.

Personally, I find their uniforms hideous. It is a terrible shade of green and the number font is very presumptuous.

That and the obnoxious fans. I livedi n Philly for 7 years so I know. You risk serious bodily injury if you wear an opposing team's jersey in the stadium there.

the bad things about the eagles: 90% of their fans are arrogant self-centered :censored:s, who if you disagree with their opinions on who to cheer for, they'll threaten bodily harm... (raiders fans share this mindset).

overall, i don't hate the eagles... if they somehow found a way to trade their fanbase with a city like green bay, or any other team with sportsmanlike fans, ... but sadly, teams are largely judged by their fan base, and phili sports fans don't have the best image. (they boo santa claus, and they cheer when michael irvin breaks his neck?)

Packer fans are...im not even gonna go there.

Go there - I'm curious.

I've never been to a game at Philadelphia. My brother was there last year for the playoffs. Given the stories that I've heard, I have no respect at all for the vast majority of Eagles fans who attended that game.

I have nothing against the Eagles - they're just another team. I only like one team, but don't actively hate any. Heck, I rooted for the Bears in their Super Bowl appearance because I wanted Payton to win it.

It's where I sit.

Personally, I like the Eagles as a team, just not their fans. They're way too crazy.....and they need to try de-caf...

I really like Donovan F. McNabb. The dude's totally carrying my fantasy football team, so I gotta cheer for him. Right now, I think he's the 2nd-best QB behind Peyton Manning.

As for T.O., that guy makes me laugh. As long as he brings no personal harm to anyone, I think all you can do is laugh at his antics. You know, the NFL has been called the "No-Fun League" for a reason...

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

OK, I'll admit when I am wrong. I am wrong about Farve and Manning. They are both great players worthy of admiration. I re-read what I said, and it come out wrong. For that I appologize. WHat I meant to imply was that for all of the hype and attention those two guys get, always with a positive spin, i think TO should get more positive spin. Not that those two guys dont deserve it, I just think TO deserves a little more of it.

As far as the incident you speak of, Sterling, I remember that play, and thought he winced rather than reached to catch the ball. Understandable, but he should have laid out and caught it, and taken the hit. The conversation and blame after the game I was not aware of, and I'll admit, dont reflect too well on his personality.

If they are losing, and TO isnt getting 12-15 looks a game, then somehting IS wrong, and as a team leader he SHOULD stand up. Thats not a cancer, thats a player concerned for the winning of the team.

ANY team he plays for, unless he got traded to the Colts or Vikings, he is their best receiver, and most likely the team's biggest Offensive threat. If you pull a Gregg Knapp, or a Jeff Garcia, and you stop throwing him the ball, you deserve whatever he has to say to you.

The stories I have read, interviews with teammates tell a different story, that he is a motivator, the ultimate team guy. He hates to lose. That, I admire.

I'm not saying I'm in love with the guy, I just think he one of the 3, maybe 4 elite receivers in the game, with no slack plays, no slack off-seasons, no trouble with the law, but he gets a skewed eye turned his way a lot.

But, when it all comes down to it... when i ordered my Eagles Jersey, I ordered McNabb. Saw him play 3 times in two years with Syracuse, and follwed him as he became an Eagle. When a player you've admired, happens to join one of your favorite 3 or 4 teams... thats a sweet thing. Just like Vick did, coming to the Falcons.

Falcons v Eagles for the NFC Championship.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

I'd have a hard time picking a different NFC title matchup.......'cept maybe Pack v Falcons and I dont think we can win against them with our defense.

Plus, I know what you are getting at with the praise of TO that seems like it aught to be more forthcoming. He's awesome. I think he probably doesn't get his due, but maybe because he doesn't give us a chance to praise him. He's a little too busy doing it himself with the "look at me" stuff. But to take your side, Randy Moss probably gets more accolades and is clearly a way bigger jerk and DOES take plays off and DOES fight with and belittle his QB. So, by comparison, TO is an angel.

For me it comes down to this (off topic a little) Wide Receivers in general all over-value themselves. Far more than any other position in sport, they demand the ball and whine when they don?t get it. Backs are often heard saying that they need 20 carries to get in the flow and really produce. And that is true, but true for a number of reasons. If you can get 20 carries, it means your team isn?t losing and the defense is wearing down. But you don?t hear backs whining that they didn?t get their 20 carries NEARLY as much as you hear WRs whining that they didn?t get their 10 catches. When the game goes pass-wacky, RBs just deal with it and pick up blitzes or catch screens. WRs often are said to get bored just run blocking and can?t ?keep their heads in the game?. Now, I played WR in high school. I played on a team that only threw to me (the #1 WR) twice per season. I know it?s hard to deal with, but tough right? Lineman don?t ever touch the ball and they don?t complain. WRs think they can only be a factor if they are touching the ball, which isn?t true at all. Jerry Rice, best ever, whines A LOT. My boy Sterling, was known to complain about touches. Owens, (who in many ways was MADE a pro-bowl caliber player BY Garcia?s trust and reliance on him) complained about touches AND the man throwing them to him. Even the ever-humble Marvin Harrison complained two weeks ago about touches. Wha!?!?! When you are steam rolling people scoring 30+ per game you are going to complain that too much success goes to Wayne and Stokley? WRs are nuts. Sure, you need capable ones. You need guys with savvy, coverage recognition, and good hands. You need guys who just DO the only thing they get paid to do. Just catch it. ?Pepto? guy demands the ball and promptly drops four passes in a key game? All WRs think they are more valuable than they are, and they crave the spotlight and get bored with the team program when it doesn?t feature them. I?m not sure there is any more overrated position as a whole than WR. Now, the Eagles are key example of how I might be wrong in this. Owens presence has meant everything to them this year. So clearly you can?t line up with scrubs at WR and be successful. But I?ll never understand why in the ultimate team game, a WR thinks he is any more valuable than a guard or safety. Never.

Now, what conclusion have we come to regarding why people hate the Eagles? That 1) they don?t really? And that if people DO indeed hate the Eagles its because 2) almost everyone thinks Eagles fans are awful and that they do little to dispell the stereotype? Seems dead-on to me.

I love T.O.

He had been in exactly zero trouble off the field, he plays hard every game, he doesnt celebrate until he scores. He is a dominating WR. He is in phenominal shape because he is dedicated to his off-season regiment. When his team gets down, he is a team leader and motivates them. A few weeks ago on the sidelines, McNabb said, "well, this one is over" and TO told him, "no! Its not over." TO encouraging McNabb to keep working hard was shown on tv, with no audio, and it looked like him bitching, but it was him getting his teammate hyped back up for the game.

You can have TO. I sure as plop don't want him.

Everything is honky-dory now that he's winning, what happens if they real off 4 losses in a row? Suddenly McNabb's not getting him the ball, or the other receivers on the team aren't playing good enough team to take off double teams. He's a cancer when things are going bad. Shut up and play football!

Everyone would want TO on their team. Hes the best at his position. He starts controversy on the field, but the media hypes it up so much it gets blown way out of proportion. And the Eagles will never lose 4 in a row with TO on the team. Maybe 2 at max, but 4? Also, his celebrations are hilarious. They might not seem hilarious against your team, but hey, if you dont want him to do it, dont let him score.

you know- not all eagles fans are morons. yeah, i have my black mcnabb uni, but i dont behave stupidly.

T-O! T-O T-O T-OOOO T-OOOOOOOOO!

read the books by glen macnow....

"We have nothing to fear except fear itself."

i hate the eagles, and im not even a fan of a rival team. i hate all of the NFC east in fact, but dont really have a reason why. :therock:

their fans are nuts and most of them ive met just rub me the wrong way. my hatred for Philly in general their past meetinga against "my" teams:

Jays vs. Phillies in '93: yes, we won, but i've never liked the Phillies since.

Raptors vs. Sixers in '01: raptors took them to game 7 in the east semi's, and lost on a missed buzzer beater by VC.

Leafs vs. Flyers (seemingly every year): I dislike pretty much every player on their team except Gagne. Especially Roenick and LeClair.

So the Eagles fall right into that path. Ive enjoyed every minute of them losing 3 straight NFC title games, and i predicted at the beginning of the year that they'd lose their 4th straight. This year it will be to either the Packers, Falcons, or (get this) the Panthers. Delhomme has that team playing out of their minds right now, and do be surprised to see them back into the playoffs, even without Smith and Davis. If the Eagles were in the AFC, they'd probably be more like 7-4.

oh, and those black alts are among the ugliest uniform sets in the league.

i hate the eagles, and im not even a fan of a rival team. i hate all of the NFC east in fact, but dont really have a reason why. :therock:

their fans are nuts and most of them ive met just rub me the wrong way. my hatred for Philly in general their past meetinga against "my" teams:

Jays vs. Phillies in '93: yes, we won, but i've never liked the Phillies since.

Raptors vs. Sixers in '01: raptors took them to game 7 in the east semi's, and lost on a missed buzzer beater by VC.

Leafs vs. Flyers (seemingly every year): I dislike pretty much every player on their team except Gagne. Especially Roenick and LeClair.

So the Eagles fall right into that path. Ive enjoyed every minute of them losing 3 straight NFC title games, and i predicted at the beginning of the year that they'd lose their 4th straight. This year it will be to either the Packers, Falcons, or (get this) the Panthers. Delhomme has that team playing out of their minds right now, and do be surprised to see them back into the playoffs, even without Smith and Davis. If the Eagles were in the AFC, they'd probably be more like 7-4.

oh, and those black alts are among the ugliest uniform sets in the league.

Panthers? lol.

Everyone would want TO on their team. Hes the best at his position. He starts controversy on the field, but the media hypes it up so much it gets blown way out of proportion. And the Eagles will never lose 4 in a row with TO on the team. Maybe 2 at max, but 4? Also, his celebrations are hilarious. They might not seem hilarious against your team, but hey, if you dont want him to do it, dont let him score.

He's definitley not the best. Randy Moss is the best.

Note: I am quite possibly the most ridiculous homer on the boards when it comes to football. So if you sense any homer-isms in this next passage, just go along with it

Well, my disdain from the Eagles doesn't come from their players {T.O. is my favorite player from another team "You Go Playa"}, but it comes from the fans figuring that just because T.O. is here in Philly, the Super Bowl is theirs to lose. First off, the Patriots are the rightful owners of that trophy and I don't see them losing it this year {yes, predicting a repeat}, and secondly, I don't think that they understand that the Falcons' recipe of Vick-Dunn-Duckett-Crumpler on offense, and their oppurtunistic D could edge them in a close one if they could meet. Another issue is that from what I've seen, none of the Eagle fans know much about football. I went on the Eagles message board recently, and they were, of course, talking trash about beating the Falcons. They said that they could EASILY contain Vick by using a DE as a spy. For those who don't know football that well, YOU DON'T USE A DADGUMMED DEFENSIVE END AS A SPY ON VICK!!! If they used Kearse as a spy on Vick, Vick would do his Barry Sanders interpetation for a few seconds to get the DE to come, and then dump it off to Crumpler for a chunk yardage. Instead, I'd send a Linebacker on one side and use another LB to spy him in order to have some sort of chance of containing Red Seven. I would've registered on that board just to say that, but I figured it would be a waste because those fans wouldn't hear it. So my disdain for them is because of their fans' somewhat smugness way of thinking they are better than the entire NFL, and their fans' {from what I've seen} lack of football knowledge.

Oh and unlike Raider fans we dont stab people.

Thats actually funny. I know a guy who is a bears fan. He tries to go to all the local bears games he can. He said once he went to Philly to watch them and a guy with a fake knife said to him "DIE BEARS FAN DIE".

Anyway, I've always hated the eagles. One I'm from Baltimore so I really hate T.O. Also I'm a Packers fan, and am still mad about the 4th and 26 (I know it was our fault but it still makes me angry).

Panthers? lol

i wouldn't really be laughing. in the pathetic NFC, a 7-9 team could very well make the playoffs, and, despite all their injuries, we all know that anything can happen in January in the NFL.

Panthers? lol

i wouldn't really be laughing. in the pathetic NFC, a 7-9 team could very well make the playoffs, and, despite all their injuries, we all know that anything can happen in January in the NFL.

Panthers have no chance of returning to the SB. Ill bet my life on it.

Archived