Detroit redwings may ask nhl permission to move!!!

RobRoberts

As reported in the Denver Post today:

- There is speculation the Detroit Red Wings might - gasp - ask out of the Western Conference if the Buffalo Sabres fold or move.

(It's not as bad as you all thought now is it?  Pretty radical, but still, I bet some people's hearts jumped when they read the title, just like mine did. )

Toronto moved to the Eastern Conference a few years ago as part of a league realignment, and Detroit is right next to them. If the Wings move, that would leave only one Original Six team - Chicago - in the Western Conference.

(Even though they aren't abandoning "Hockeytown" as I had hoped, this still would be a pretty wild move.  Discuss.)

Rob

Detroit is the eastern-most city in the NHL that plays in the Western Conference.

:angry:  :angry:  :P  :angry:

That would mak eme a bit mad. Maybe it would make the East stronger, but to me it sounds like a move to gurantee success in the future. The West is consistently better than the East and this would be a free ride for Detroit. Not to mention, it would be destroying a rivalry that has become strong the past few years. That would be the Blues and Wings, but I guess also the Avs and Wings. They weren't even the original six, but merely the oldest six teams left. Tradition is all well and good, but a new one has since been formed.

Ok, I'm from Texas, so bare with me, but why would the Sabres be folding or moving? Any news on where they would move to?

Previous owners went bankrupt, NHL owns the team, seeking government help (last I heard) and they're drawing horrendously.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I only like this idea because being an Eastern Time Zone team in the Western Conference sucks.  Both Columbus and Detroit should be Eastern Conference teams.  At the same time, I don't want to see the Sabres move, so I'll be happy when the Panthers go to Seattle or Portland and the Lightning go to Winnipeg, paving the way for the Wings and Jackets to move East.  This throws off all the divisional alignment but what does that matter, they're all in the same time zone

No this shoudl not be allowed Sabres could go west to say Portland or Utah, and it will mean a team would have to move East.

However, the team taht shoudl go East is Columbus, not Detroit, teh Wings shoudl stay where tehy are at to keep the rivalaries alive with Chicago and Colorado.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

The Wings won the Cup coming out of the West last year, it doesn't look like they have a problem with that conference.

Yes, they had a pretty good team last year and won. However, it was not without struggle. And they have struggled, are struggling, and will struggle this year in the West to be #1. If the one game played thus far is any indication, the Blues are a better team. Too many factors (or one cough-REFS-cough) prevented the Blues from getting their 2 points. I fear I am getting too far from logos though so I'm done.

Hey, i wish the NHL did have a Original Six division. i mean the NHL for years has had strange divsional combinations, hence the old "Western" Confrence back in the Expansion 6 era.

Anyway, Detroit and Chicago should be in the East as Colombus. the Blues and Avalanche are secondary ravalries. these teams always get up for  each other (original 6)

yankeesfansd4.png91140975269.png

Isles1.gifirelandnw9.png

neyyorkjetsdj1.gif

sig3_605.jpg

chevroletij6.png

I have trouble believing that. Chicago and St. Louis used to have a great rivalry, but they have to be good teams for it to be fun. Last playoffs this rivalry got rejuvenated. I think Detroit currently has bigger rivals who have been winning. IMO a good hockey rivalry is best in the playoffs. That's why Chicago's rivalries haven't been so great lately.

I can't stand it being called the original six either. Their was an original four in 1917-18. Two of those teams, Montreal and Toronto, still exist. It wasn't unil 1924-25 when Boston came in to be the third of the six. But even then other teams had gone in and out of the league. In 1926-27, Chicago, Detroit, and New York came in the league. The point is these teams came in scattered, and were not the only teams when they came in. Calling them original is stupid. The only teams who should be able to call themselves and original member are the Montreal Canadiens, and the Toronto Maple Leafs. No other existing team was an original team.

(Info from nhluniforms.com)

I've said it before, and I'll say it again and again.

Let's say Buffalo moves to Portland, for example:

Portland to the Northwest Division

Columbus to the Northeast Division

Minnesota to the Central Division

THE OLD NORRIS LIVES AGAIN.

:)

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again and again.

Let's say Buffalo moves to Portland, for example:

Portland to the Northwest Division

Columbus to the Northeast Division

Minnesota to the Central Division

THE OLD NORRIS LIVES AGAIN.

:)

You're reuniting the old norris without including Toronto?

Who, by the way, are the defending Norris Division Champions!

:(    :(    :(

It'd still be cool tho   :D

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

You're reuniting the old norris without including Toronto?

That's what's wrong with the picture.  The Wings don't need to move into the East, just bring the Leafs back to the West!  They had just as much of a right to bolt the conference as Detroit does, and apparently Detroit has no right so Toronto should just come back.

Archived