BcS strikes again

Puckguy14

However, next year, when the BCS moves to Fox, there will be a fifth BCS bowl, that will pit the winner of the 1vs2 BCS bowl verses the winner of a 3vs4 BCS bowl. This is as close to a playoff Division I-A will ever get.

Is that what is happening? Cause that's awesome! I thought they were just having 10 BCS teams instead of 8.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm glad Texas got in over Cal. They deserved it.

I'm curious to know the reason behind that. Cal not only was driving down the field and take the lead in their game to USC late in the game, but also, only lost by 6 to the top ranked and defending co-champs. Texas lost to Oklahoma by 12 and it was by way of shutout. Mind you that Cal QB Aaron Rogers threw about 24 consecutive completions in that game against the Trojans. I know last year doesn't count into this year but again in at least the human polls they know in the back of their heads that USC's lone lost last year (and the reason they were out of the BCS championship hunt at the end) was a loss to Cal.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

"The old Rose Bowl Trophy was a golden football on a silver base, with two golden blade-like objects behind the football."

I believe those "golden blade-like objects" are more commonly known as, uh, let me see now...PENNANTS!

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

Texas plays in the Big XII South. That's a tough lil' place to play.

Cal plays in the Pac10. Other than SC.... who'd they play?

I think you guys are focusing too much on the fact that Cal almost beat SC. Almost doesn't count. Both Texas and Cal lost to teams that are playing for the National Championship. That's a wash. If you look at the two team's schedules, Texas had a tougher road. I would give my nod to Texas.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Here is how a college football playoff should work.

There are 11 Division I-A conferences. Take the 11 conference champions, and add 5 wild card teams (the non-champions with the best overall records -- that gives Notre Dame, Navy and any other independents a way in).

That's your 16 teams for the tournament. No polls, no selections, just win your way in.

Tournament starts the second week of December with eight first-round games. If the bowls want to be a part of the playoff, then use eight low-level bowls here. (Sun, Holiday, Outback, etc.)

The third week of December is the quarterfinals. These would be played at the Cotton Bowl, Gator Bowl, Peach Bowl and Liberty Bowl.

The semifinals would be the fourth week of December, with the finals on New Year's Day. There would also be a third-place game on New Year's Eve.

There is a reason for having a third-place game. It's so the four major bowls can rotate the semifinals and finals. For example:

YEAR 1: Semis - Rose, Sugar; 3rd - Orange; Final - Fiesta

YEAR 2: Semis - Orange, Fiesta; 3rd - Rose; Final - Sugar

YEAR 3: Semis - Sugar, Rose; 3rd - Fiesta; Final - Orange

YEAR 4: Semis - Fiesta, Orange; 3rd - Sugar; Final - Rose

Unfortunately, this plan is far too logical for anyone to accept it.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

Texas plays in the Big XII South. That's a tough lil' place to play.

Cal plays in the Pac10. Other than SC.... who'd they play?

I think you guys are focusing too much on the fact that Cal almost beat SC. Almost doesn't count. Both Texas and Cal lost to teams that are playing for the National Championship. That's a wash. If you look at the two team's schedules, Texas had a tougher road. I would give my nod to Texas.

I think what really ticks off Cal is that Pittsburgh with it's 8-3 record gets to play in the Fiesta Bowl, one of BCS bowl games while Cal gets to play in the Holiday Bowl. Texas is a better team and deserves to be in the Rose Bowl I believe, but there is a great injsutice to Cal somewhere.

I saw, I came, I left.

There are 11 Division I-A conferences. Take the 11 conference champions, and add 5 wild card teams (the non-champions with the best overall records -- that gives Notre Dame, Navy and any other independents a way in).

There's a flaw in that: The Sun Belt. Whoever came out of that conference would get blasted year after year after year. Now, I'm an avid believer in the saying "On any given Sunday {or in this case Saturday} any team can beat anybody" But the Sun Belt is just too dagum weak. With that being said, that's an excellent idea mjrbaseball.

There's a flaw in that: The Sun Belt. Whoever came out of that conference would get blasted year after year after year.

In the basketball tournament, what happens to the Big Sky and Ivy League champions? Usually they lose, but no one ever suggests leaving them out.

If the Sun Belt feels that it can't keep up, then drop down to I-AA.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

"Here is how a college football playoff should work.

"There are 11 Division I-A conferences. Take the 11 conference champions, and add 5 wild card teams (the non-champions with the best overall records -- that gives Notre Dame, Navy and any other independents a way in).

"That's your 16 teams for the tournament. No polls, no selections, just win your way in.

"Tournament starts the second week of December with eight first-round games. If the bowls want to be a part of the playoff, then use eight low-level bowls here. (Sun, Holiday, Outback, etc.)

"The third week of December is the quarterfinals. These would be played at the Cotton Bowl, Gator Bowl, Peach Bowl and Liberty Bowl.

"The semifinals would be the fourth week of December, with the finals on New Year's Day. There would also be a third-place game on New Year's Eve.

"There is a reason for having a third-place game. It's so the four major bowls can rotate the semifinals and finals. For example:

"YEAR 1: Semis - Rose, Sugar; 3rd - Orange; Final - Fiesta

"YEAR 2: Semis - Orange, Fiesta; 3rd - Rose; Final - Sugar

"YEAR 3: Semis - Sugar, Rose; 3rd - Fiesta; Final - Orange

"YEAR 4: Semis - Fiesta, Orange; 3rd - Sugar; Final - Rose

"Unfortunately, this plan is far too logical for anyone to accept it."

Damn, that's exactly the same concept I keep bringing up, except I have no third-place bowl, and the rotation puts one of the "Big Four" bowls in the quarter-finals.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

That's your 16 teams for the tournament. No polls, no selections, just win your way in.

Tournament starts the second week of December with eight first-round games. If the bowls want to be a part of the playoff, then use eight low-level bowls here. (Sun, Holiday, Outback, etc.)

The third week of December is the quarterfinals. These would be played at the Cotton Bowl, Gator Bowl, Peach Bowl and Liberty Bowl.

The semifinals would be the fourth week of December, with the finals on New Year's Day. There would also be a third-place game on New Year's Eve.

There is a reason for having a third-place game. It's so the four major bowls can rotate the semifinals and finals. For example:

I love this. I posted a similar one in another thread, though with no details on what bowls play what role in the tourney (I hate bowls and wish they'd die).

But our similarities is the 11 Conference automatics and the five at large. That is perfect. Every Boise State, Utah and whoever gets a chance to prove themselves and all the best teams get in. Teams like Michigan, Cal and Texas get in. It would be great. Just like in Hoops, this makes conferenece championship races important and FUN (better here because of conference hoops tourneys).

And there is no way that this would make the games not mean a lot. One loss is still HUGE to most teams. If Cal does not win that game yesterday, the end up out (or on the bubble). The games would still be huge. In fact, more of them would be huge.

However, I agree with JQK. It is not accurate to say that there will not be a tourney any time soon. Because there will never be a tourney. Never.

As for this year, do we need any more eveidence of the importance of pre-season polls and being a media darling. Personally, I think Auburn is the best team. They played the toughest schedule. I think Oklahoma and USC are close, but I'd give it to Okalahoma because USC beat only 2 ranked teams, both at home. USC was left out of the"whose #3 discussion" because they were #1 in August and because they are the sports media darlings. Last year everyone wept for them. This year, nobody cares about Auburn. This system is terrible. It is the only thing keeping college football from being the great sport in America.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Here's MY solution on how to fix the BCS mess...

There is an 8 team playoff. The eight teams are determined by the top 8 teams in a BCS like computer system, but with more emphasis on human polls, so say 3/4 to 4/5 of the rankings based on human polls, with the reamaining percent based on the so called formulas. The eight teams face off, final two have the TRUE national championship, TRUE winner determined. I really think this is the type of thing NCAA should do.

nygiantsSig.gif

newyorkislanders.gif

No school that schedules The Citadel, La. Tech, and Louisiana-Monroe (as Auburn did) should even claim they had the nation's toughest schedule.

Those three reasons right there, kids, are why Auburn isn't playing for the national championship.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Auburn won the hard damn conference in College football and get's left out. Meanwhile, OU and USC have nearly lost half of the games (for USC, mostly way weaker teams; i.e. 3 point win over Stanford) and get in the Orange. :rolleyes: I think it should be USC v AU and OU v VT

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

No school that schedules The Citadel, La. Tech, and Louisiana-Monroe (as Auburn did) should even claim they had the nation's toughest schedule.

Those three reasons right there, kids, are why Auburn isn't playing for the national championship.

Aw come on, they played Georgia and beat them like they stole something, they went to Neyland Stadium in Tennessee, one of the most intimidating enviroments in college football and beat THEM like they stole something, beat LSU, and Alabama, who currently has one of the top five defenses in the nation. OU almost lost to OSU and Texas, and USC plays in the Pac-10, which is enough said. I guess I've just come to the realization that Auburn getting shut out of the NC is a travshamockery.

"The old Rose Bowl Trophy was a golden football on a silver base, with two golden blade-like objects behind the football."

I believe those "golden blade-like objects" are more commonly known as, uh, let me see now...PENNANTS!

Don't be a jackass.

VmWIn6B.png

I understand your argument, but is there a way to tell the strength of schedule? Like I said before, why would you guarantee big conferences bids? I mean I know we all want to see powerhouses but when you get #21 Pitt in there with an 8-3 record in only because they won the Big East, and Cal is 10-1. You either get rid of the automatic bids (and "deal" with the mid majors crashing the corporate college bowl party) or screw the BCS altogether because it's not eliminating the bickering over a true National Championship.

BTW, how does Boise State feel? Undefeated AND out of the BCS.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Archived