BC Lions Complete Identity Set

Phil

A few responses, before I post the not-so-long awaited version 2.

• gojetsgo: Look below. :)
  • UW: That's what I thought for the longest time too.
  • Cole: Thanks.
  • Cuss: Some logos deserve to fail the test of time. The lions current hand-drawn effort is one of them IMHO.
  • lmupb: Agreed.
  • Stampman: I agree with you on the Lions lack of tradition, but I wanted to maintain a bit of a tradition (like the Jays didn't).
  • Fuzzlewigg: I respectfully disagree. IMHO, it's a characteristic that is more commonly known as a tiger characteristic only because tigers are more commonly known. Although perception beats reality, in this case I think the stripes have more to do with that perception than does the white muzzle. For instance, the Florida Panthers' cat has a white mouth and chin.
  • Chris: That's a different angle on what Fuzz is saying. I certainly think it holds a little water, but I think right now that's okay. It helps the face stand out a little more, and mixes things up. The jaws and eye are the focal points of the lion... I don't mind attention being drawn to them (as you may see in the latest version).
  • Darth: In the battle between perception and intention/reality, perception almost always wins. Case in point.

Without much further, here's V2:

BC%20Lions%20Logo.gif

The white stays... for now.

Comments?

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Lions have used a few different logos--including a previous version of this one where the lion is black.

Check out The CFL section of the Helmet project

or

the CFL section here

for reference.

I prefer the paw logo myself...

But good first draft Sy...

Or you could check the CFL page Here. :D

Now I know you post here--so I figured you could add it yourself...

ANd I do enjoy your site as well, I've used it, and the Helmet Project, fh2i, and the team sites, and others as reference when I created my CFL Madden teams.

Check MisterHabs' site--all3 of those sites have stuff the other 2 don't...

SyPhi--nice tweaks--but I'd still go with the lions' face being all one colour--as most real mountain lion faces are...

But it's looking cleaner...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

but I'd still go with the lions' face being all one colour--as most real mountain lion faces are...

Not to doubt the Albertan by saying "I saw it on the internet, so it must be true", but I Google Image searched "Mountain Lion" and none of the pictures it brought up showed any monochromatically-faced cats. All had white muzzles.

If you've got a problem with that, I put full blame on my sources.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

but I'd still go with the lions' face being all one colour--as most real mountain lion faces are...

Not to doubt the Albertan by saying "I saw it on the internet, so it must be true", but I Google Image searched "Mountain Lion" and none of the pictures it brought up showed any monochromatically-faced cats. All had white muzzles.

If you've got a problem with that, I put full blame on my sources.

You ever seen one in person?

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

You ever seen one in person?

Jerry Weinstein has.

The American Wildlands group has.

Jonathan Jackson has.

The Friends of Browns Canyon Wilderness Area Central Colorado USA have.

Don Getty has.

Me personally? No.

Now there may be a difference between what Americans and Canadians consider "mountain lions". However virtually all of my sources, many of which I'd consider reasonably reliable, portrayed mountain lions as having white muzzles.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Hey, not doubting you--just going by what I've seen--and of course the angle, lighting, and even the time of year could affect what any of us saw...

And in some cases it may just be a gradient (that's said with tongue slightly in my cheek)

In any case the update, as I said is an improvement (and may I add, better than what I would do)

Nicely done, SyPhi. You're right: the B.C. Lions definitely need an update. That said, your design is a bit to "angular" for my taste... yet, it's still an improvement over what the Lions are using now.

Back when it seemed as though the entire CCSLB design community was offering up logos to NEHL franchises, nitroseed came up with a concept for the Connecticut Cougars that would be absolutely perfect for the B.C. Lions. All it needed was to be recolored. I wish that I could find it, but I suspect nitro pulled it off of the boards to prevent it being stolen.

Does the white have to stay in the "BC" too?

I thought it worked better than the orange. Orange is great... in moderation. Alas, I didn't want a black-white-black outline (it adds business without actually adding anything)...

Does the silver outline (recently added) add anything? I don't know, but I think it helps provide a little context.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

darth you gotta read the topic titles before you comment man. its like the kids say the darndest things program

I like Bill Cosby. He funny...

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

You know a cougar logo that has white like you do but uses it in a way that isn't jarring is the logo of the Prince George Cougars--but then it is at a different angle--so that probably helps...

He kinda looks rabid with all that white around his mouth. Although I don't mind it for a start, I do agree with Chris, there's too much white.

Of course, I also fear change and like the current logo so maybe my opinion's not the best. ;)

TrevorLindensig.jpg

TrevorLindenJerseys.png

I don't mind the Lions current logo. Having said that, I do really like your second logo. For what it's worth, I don't recall any mention having been made of the silver being used when the Lions get new duds for the 2005 season.

Do you perchance have any jersey concepts to go along with these? I like where it's headed so far.

SyPhi... I'd be interested in seeing what it looked like if you were to drop the Silver outline and make the "BC" Silver.

Ignore this man. Word around the campfire is that BC is dropping the silver from the color scheme altogether for 2005...and the anniversary jerseys that BC used last year will become the regular home jerseys, with a black 3rd...I'm also hearing about white helmets returning.

While I'm on the subject, Hamilton is to get new unies next year...as well as a certain team close to Phil's and my hearts...

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Archived