Nationals' Stadium Issues - A Merged Thread

Survival79

And then there's that whole JetsOwner.com campaign, Syphi...

But as for the Expos/Nationals/Intransients, I think it'll be hilarious if they wind up back in Montreal...

"Hello! We're back! You can buy tickets again because you all came out to wish us goodbye...where'd everyone go? Is the hockey season back?"

Super Wario Comix!

Iron Crossover IX Contender (Tied for 6th)

Iron Crossover Halloween Contender (Tied for Bronze)

vanhalengo.png

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But as for the Expos/Nationals/Intransients, I think it'll be hilarious if they wind up back in Montreal...

"Hello! We're back! You can buy tickets again because you all came out to wish us goodbye...where'd everyone go? Is the hockey season back?"

That would mean the Creamer would have plan another Expos farewell trip next year. :D

I saw, I came, I left.

All these points are excellent. In some cities the revitalization efforts work, in some they dont. Thats the nature of policy making, you have to take risks. sometimes building a ballpark works, sometimes it doesnt. Baltimore and Cleveland will tell you it works, some other cities like Pittsburgh may say it doesnt. And all these other points are also right, a ballpark alone cant do it. But it can be a large part in bringing economic devolpment.

Again, my disagreement with Linda Cropp is not about her policy dissagreement, its about her flipflopping for what seems like nothing but noteriety and ambition to be mayor herself in a couple years. She was there when the deal was made, but broke the deal. That is the rub, not that she doesnt want a ballpark. Like Wilbon, says, she should have said no before the deal was made, not after.

Furthermore, no one cares if private money is used. The disagreement here is that Linda Cropp wants the deal to go ahead with private money that isnt in the bag yet. If she had a list of 500 potential investors ready to go this wouldnt be an issue. She wants this to go through with her just hoping to get private money. This all would be solved with a simple ammendment that said the city will pay for the money Ms. Cropp cant get if she indeed fails to secure these funds.

My guess is that that amendment is added before the 31st. If not, Virginia Baseball Club allready has investors ready to go and the Loudoun County board of supervisors ready to approve it.

Azzuri.gif

That would mean the Creamer would have plan another Expos farewell trip next year. :D

The Creamer?

I'm not looking forward to another farewell journey :)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

The Creamer?

C'mon pleaseeeee!!! So I'll give you some money and you'll buy one road Expos' jersey for me!!!

THANKS, YOU'RE A GREAT FRIEND! :lol:

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

The Creamer?

Damn! Did I really put "the Creamer"? :lol: I didn't even notice that. Sounds cool doesn't it? Well, maybe to his girlfriend.....

I was supposed to say "that" instead of "the." See what happens when you're in rush to go somewhere? ^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

Let's not bring the idiocy that is jetsowner.com into play in anything over here, please. If the NHL returns to Winnipeg, it'll be due to the local moneymakers ponying up the cash, not some jackass with a homepage "Getting the ball rolling."

Sorry for the thread fart, but the more I hear about jetsowner and the people behind it, the more I want to club a baby seal. Or Joel.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I think Baseball needs Washington more than Washington needs baseball. MLB running the team in MOntreal for two years was an embarrasment. Now they go to Washington and Whoosh! They get the plug pulled out from under them. Pitcher and cathers report in like two montsh and this team has no city! If they can't somehow make DC work, MLB will have tons of egg on its face.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

If this team ends up in Vegas, I think they will be like the Arizona Cardinals. Half the fans there will be there for the visiting team every time. For example, I am a Twins fan who has never been to Vegas, but I want to some day. If the Twins play there, I'd probably revolve my trip around that. I think lots of visiting fans would do the same.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

My guess is that  my boy Bill Collins will step up to the plate and the new stadium will be built near Dulles Airport, thus saving the team for this area.

And as far as DC not deserving a team....here are the top 5 media markets in the USA

1. New York City/ Long Island/ Northern NJ

2. Los Angeles/ Anaheim

3. Chicago

4. Washington/ Baltimore

5. San Fransisco/ Oakland

Numbers 1, 2, 3, and 5 have  two MLB franchises. There is no reason DC doesnt deserve a team. The city has grown exponentially since the second team left, and the first team left not because of a lack of support but because of an admittedly racist owner.  Two of the 10 fastest growing counties in the united states are in the DC area Loudoun (VA) and Howard (MD). Fairfax County has over one million people, one of the largest suburban counties in America. DC is only behind new york in the number of major corporate HQs on the east coast, not to mention it is the seat of the nations larest employer, the federal governement. The DC area deserves this team more than any other by a longshot. Vegas is 2nd in my estimation, but oh well, they will get the next one down the line.

Lets hope the Loudoun County government can do what DC couldnt. Follow Through.

It is difficult for me to understand how the Loudoun County site was ever under serious consideration for this team. While Loudoun is experiencing rapid growth, I can't remember the last time a Major League team built a stadium so far away from downtown. If the team does end up out near Dulles, maybe they should take this retro-1970s concept of moving way out into the suburbs a bit further, and build a huge, concrete multi-purpose stadium, complete with AstroTurf :D

But seriously, as much as folks who live in the immediate vicinity of the Dulles site would enjoy the convenience of having a ballpark in their back yard, who else would go to the games? With public transportation to the Dulles area at least a decade away (if it ever arrives), it would be very difficult for anyone working in the District or living in the Maryland or close-in Virginia suburbs to get to a weeknight game on time. I used to commute to and from Loudoun County, and back then it could easily take 90 minutes to get home in the evening. Traffic can't possibly have improved since then, and if you add tens of thousands of additional cars to these roads, nobody will be going anywhere at 6pm on a Monday night.

Even as a last resort to keeping the team in the area, I fear that it would be a bad idea.

Well the investors that proposed the Dulles idea didnt do it with the idea of it being a "Washington" team, they wanted a "Virginia" team. The original site was in Arlington County but their county council voted it down. The only place they could find room was near Dulles Airport in Loudoun County. (While its technically the Loudoun, the place is like a mile from the Fairfax border). As a Sterling resident i think its great, but i can see how potential DC baseball fans in Maryland or the District or the Springfield Area might find it difficult. But i think, that if people can drive that far to the airport, they can go to the ballpark. I mean it's not any farther from DC than Giants stadium is from New york if i'm not mistaken. (it'd be one exit before the airport off the dulles toll road). Again, its not perfect, i'd prefer a downtown stadium so everyone can enjoy it, but i'll take it over Las Vegas. Heck, Fairfax county alone has enough people to support a major league franchise. (And lets not forget, Metro will be out to the Airport by 2015)

by the way, where in DC are ya from machpost?

anyway....enough of my esoteric DC conversation

Back on the topic. I think even if the DC deal falls thru, Las Vegas is extremly unlikely. MLB is shying away from it because it would either take a last minute division re-alignment (which could be controversial), or an extremly expensive travel schedule. Not to mention a complete reshuffling of the allready figured out schedule in just a couple months. Not to mention Vegas has nothing in the way of anything that could be used as a temporary home. Cashman field is too small and Sam Boyd Field cant be converted fast enough. Someone on ESPN postulated that the team would play in Monterry until a new ballpark was built.

The other big rumor is that the team will go to New Jersey. Anyone that has a problem with the DC area having too many teams should flip their lid at the concept of the New York area getting yet another team.

Wow, Ms. Cropp made everything so complicated.

Azzuri.gif

I mean it's not any farther from DC than Giants stadium is from New york if i'm not mistaken.

Giants Stadium is 6.9 miles away from Times Square in NYC. Dulles Airport is 26.15 miles form washington. There is a difference there.

There will not be a team in NJ the Yankees, Mets, and Phillies will not allow it.

Agreed, jkrdevil. The Phillies would have NO PART of it whatsoever, even if it was closer to NYC than Philly.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

I mean it's not any farther from DC than Giants stadium is from New york if i'm not mistaken.

Giants Stadium is 6.9 miles away from Times Square in NYC. Dulles Airport is 26.15 miles form washington. There is a difference there.

There will not be a team in NJ the Yankees, Mets, and Phillies will not allow it.

I was refering to time wise, not distance. but point taken. Also the majority of the baseball-going population would probably be in the suburbs not the exact center of the city.

Azzuri.gif

Back on the topic. I think even if the DC deal falls thru, Las Vegas is extremly unlikely. MLB is shying away from it because it would either take a last minute division re-alignment (which could be controversial), or an extremly expensive travel schedule. Not to mention a complete reshuffling of the allready figured out schedule in just a couple months. Not to mention Vegas has nothing in the way of anything that could be used as a temporary home. Cashman field is too small and Sam Boyd Field cant be converted fast enough. Someone on ESPN postulated that the team would play in Monterry until a new ballpark was built.

here a city that nobody bothered to mentioned that makes a lot of geographical sense if the deal goes through the cracks,and that city is Buffalo,because of the fact that Dunn tire park seating can be converted MLB, and again most importainly they're a perfect geographical fit

Archived