SD Powder Blues possilby making return....

NYCdog

This is funny people always say that the powder blues are better, but they never say how. I always hear people say the current ones are bland, how are they bland? What makes them bland?

What makes the powder blues great? The colors?

I don't think so. The Light Blue white and Yellow are all light shaded colors thus the blend together. The current ones have something that uniforms need and that the Chargers lack, contrast. The yellow and white show up great on the navy blue yet on the powder blue they don't. Plus, navy is easier on the eyes than powder blue.

Numbers on the Helmet?

Well the look dated and it seems most people here hate them so I am guessing it's not the numbers on helmets that are making them popular.

What is it? The current ones are far better than the powder blue. The colors contrast and don't blend together. There are no numbers on the helmet. Do the Chargers need a change yes, but a small one. I think their unis would be perfect if they just swapped the white and yellow on the unis and helmet and ass a yellow facemask.

Also, Icecap the Rams use navy and Gold. There is a big difference between the gold the Rams use and yellow. BTW, I think the Rams unis look great the way we are.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It all boils down to personal preference, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Trying to make arguments to convince someone that Item A is beautiful when that person thinks Item B is beautiful is pointless. I think its gonna end up being either what appeals most to the owners, or ideally they will go with what a majority of Charger fans want.

metslogo_215.gif

This is funny people always say that the powder blues are better, but they never say how. I always hear people say the current ones are bland, how are they bland? What makes them bland?

What makes the powder blues great? The colors?

I don't think so. The Light Blue white and Yellow are all light shaded colors thus the blend together. The current ones have something that uniforms need and that the Chargers lack, contrast. The yellow and white show up great on the navy blue yet on the powder blue they don't. Plus, navy is easier on the eyes than powder blue.

Numbers on the Helmet?

Well the look dated and it seems most people here hate them so I am guessing it's not the numbers on helmets that are making them popular.

What is it? The current ones are far better than the powder blue. The colors contrast and don't blend together. There are no numbers on the helmet. Do the Chargers need a change yes, but a small one. I think their unis would be perfect if they just swapped the white and yellow on the unis and helmet and ass a yellow facemask.

Also, Icecap the Rams use navy and Gold. There is a big difference between the gold the Rams use and yellow. BTW, I think the Rams unis look great the way we are.

what makes the powder blue unis so great? i cant speak for everyone that likes them, but to me i just like the colour powder blue, and i think yellow is a perfect compliment. as for the helmets, i like simple desighns, and i love the #'s on the side. however the helmet is the one part of the powder blue unis that i wouldnt mind them modifing (the #'s would have to stay though :P )

as for what makes the current set bland, its the domination of navy. u can hardly see the yellow. they would be somewhat better if the bolts on the home jerseys were incased in white (like they were in the other two versions of the chargers unis). still the navy is to dominant and the vibrant yellow gets lost. also, half teh leauge wears navy, including division rivals denver. the unis are far from unique. hope i answered ur question jkrdevil.

So what if half of the league is wearing navy? The Chargers were wearing navy before most of them anyways. If you can't see yellow with navy well, how can you expect to see them in powder blue? I couldn't. The problem with powder blue is the same as NBA teams wearing yellow on the road, there is not enough contrast to distinguish the teams. As for the lightning bolt. It should be white because that's the colour of a real lightning bolt. If there is anything I would like to change about the Chargers, it's the wordmark.

I saw, I came, I left.

I don't know...this isn't exactly an original idea (I realize that there have been MANY concepts on this board close to this one), but here's my tweak to the current look that at least incorporates a LITTLE of the Collegiate Blue:

SanDiegoChargers_Proposed.jpg

I also made the bolt Gold, but I'm not sure I like it...

The powder blue itself, I'm not a fan of. If it were more of a Carolina blue perhaps. This concept I put out a month ago (to no response :P ) was to combine both the navy and the fans who wanted powder blue.

Chargers.gif

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Now, as for numbers on the helmet...

I'm for them. I wouldn't be for most teams, but it works with San Diego for these reasons:

1. The arc of the bolt means there's a large blank space below it. The number fits perfectly there.

2. There is a long tradition of using numbers on helmets, large ones. The difference is that they're usually on the back, sometimes (Steelers) on the front. Well, back in the day, logos were sometimes on the front or back (Wisconsin and the Redskins, early 60s) So why not numbers on the side? I wouldn't like an NFL team to JUST wear numbers, Alabama style, but combined with a logo, it works.

3. San Diego tradition. It's one of the first logos I remember, in part because I would watch John Hadl wearing No. 21, a strange number for a quarterback, something that was reinforced by that helmet number.

4. Uniqueness. Just as Cleveland is unique for no logo, and Pittsburgh for a logo on one side, San Diego would stand out for its numbers.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

The powder blue itself, I'm not a fan of. If it were more of a Carolina blue perhaps. This concept I put out a month ago (to no response :P ) was to combine both the navy and the fans who wanted powder blue.

Chargers.gif

Neat template there--shows some good angles of the uni

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

The powder blue itself, I'm not a fan of.  If it were more of a Carolina blue perhaps.  This concept I put out a month ago (to no response  :P ) was to combine both the navy and the fans who wanted powder blue.

Chargers.gif

Neat template there--shows some good angles of the uni

Dangit! That's almost exactly what I had in mind.

Over Christmas break, I want to get that darn Chargers concept out of my head once and for all... it's similar in concept to Puck's here.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I have loved all of the Chargers schemes. Powder blues being my fave, Fouts era a nice change, Current ones are a strong look, but honestly are getttnig boring to me, I think they need another step forward like they have been doing. Maybe combine elements of all 3. Of course I like it when they break out the Powder Blues once or twice a year, but I di still like their current look.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Now, as for numbers on the helmet...

I'm for them. I wouldn't be for most teams, but it works with San Diego for these reasons:

1. The arc of the bolt means there's a large blank space below it. The number fits perfectly there.

2. There is a long tradition of using numbers on helmets, large ones. The difference is that they're usually on the back, sometimes (Steelers) on the front. Well, back in the day, logos were sometimes on the front or back (Wisconsin and the Redskins, early 60s) So why not numbers on the side? I wouldn't like an NFL team to JUST wear numbers, Alabama style, but combined with a logo, it works.

3. San Diego tradition. It's one of the first logos I remember, in part because I would watch John Hadl wearing No. 21, a strange number for a quarterback, something that was reinforced by that helmet number.

4. Uniqueness. Just as Cleveland is unique for no logo, and Pittsburgh for a logo on one side, San Diego would stand out for its numbers.

Hmm....

I'm not buying the "tradition" part. Yes, they were an original part of the Charger's look, but they only wore them 14 years. The numbers have been gone now for 30 years (since '74), which is by far now the stronger tradition.

And you're right about the white helmets: the royal blue and navy blue helmets look fine without anything but the logo. The white helmet does appear to have a blank spot and need some "help". And our helmets are already unique...who else has a lightning bolt?

When you mentioned Alabama, it made me think, and I may now know why I don't like the idea of the full-time powder/collegiate blues. That color makes me think "college" (UCLA, North Carolina, etc.) and the numbers do, too. But the Chargers are a pro team, and should distinguish themselves as such.

Puckguy, I like your concept. I just think don't think the world is ready for them...yet. But our grandkids will love them!!! B)

I don't know...this isn't exactly an original idea (I realize that there have been MANY concepts on this board close to this one), but here's my tweak to the current look that at least incorporates a LITTLE of the Collegiate Blue:

SanDiegoChargers_Proposed.jpg

I also made the bolt Gold, but I'm not sure I like it...

i could live with this as the primary unis. if they are going to keep the navy, then this is the way to go.

It is a matter of personal preference. I, like most, think the powder blues are among the coolest jerseys of all time. The current dark nay blue and bright white do absolutely nothing for me. They are just blase. I cannot give a reason that I can explain, but just 'looking at them' I find them to be among the worst uniforms in pro football (they are better than the Bengals, though)

Get your concepts ready, it appears the Chargers Powder Blues might make a full time return.

Caught this off of Streeter and Smith's Sports Business Daily You may need a password to get in......

Attention Voters: Chargers Will No Longer Train In L.A.

The Chargers in ?05 will hold training camp at Chargers Park in Murphy Canyon, California. The team most recently held camp at The Home Depot Center in Carson, California (Chargers). In San Diego, Jim Trotter notes the move is a result of the team?s ?desire to create a positive environment before a proposed vote on a new stadium in 2006.? Workouts will be open to the public, and Trotter wonders, ?Could the wildly popular powder-blue throwback uniforms be next to return?? Chargers Exec VP & COO Jim Steeg: ?I refuse to comment on the grounds that it might incriminate me. <_< (SAN DIEGO UNION-TRIBUNE, 12/17).

:cursing: DO NOT LIKE AT ALL

(THE CHRIST W/ DEVIL)

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

(we) DO NOT LIKE (you) AT ALL

I think they are going to go the Giants route with this.

I think you'll see a nice mesh of modernization with the throwback powder (collegiate) blue, that will please most everyone on both sides of the fence. I really hope they do this....

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Archived