Biggest Sports Story of 2004

JamesCraven

What was the biggest sports story of 2004?  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well, 2004 is soon to be history, so this question is rather simple: What was the biggest story in sports this year?

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

I suppose this is American Sports stories... Anyways, I picked the Basketbrawl because I found it ridiculously funny {I might be in the minority :P }, and its ramifacations have effected the entire season for the Pacers, and the entire experience for a NBA basketball game in those areas. Never will it be the same. The BoSox victory comes a close second, because who knows if we'll ever see them win another one {in our lifetime, at least}

It hurts to say it as a NY fan, but the biggest was the BoSox winning the World Series, hands down.

HornetsTwistSig.gif

New York Jets |3-3| First, AFC East

New York Mets |74-88| Fourth, NL East

New York Islanders|34-37-11| Fifth, Atlantic Division

New Orleans Hornets |21-45| Third, Southwest Division

The Todd Bertuzzi attack on Steve Moore, his suspension, and subsequent legal problems has been the most high-profile and longest running story I've seen this year.

Overall though, I'd say that the Red Sox winning the World Series is the most memorable sporting event of 2004.

What about the England cricket team winning 8 tests in a row and 11 of 12 in the year??

Ah ok for US sports its gotta be the end of the curse. I think particularly the comeback from 3-0 down against the Yankees in the Championship series will be talked about, not just in Boston but across the country, for many many years top come.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Bengals on Sunday night and Monday Night football and actually win both games. of course then we really didnt know that Miami was going to be the BEST DOLPHINS TEAM EVER! Note that I am being sarcastic there.

Signature intentionally left blank

I think the biggest is the three in hockey.

Five e-dollars to who can guess them.

NOT INCLUDING LOCKOUT, everyone know it was going to happen <_<

My guesses?

1) The Bertuzzi hit on Moore.

2) The Tampa Bay Lightning winning the Stanley Cup.

3) Those are the two that jump out, but the third... hmmm... I'll the 6 seeded Flames making it to the Finals?? That's prolly wrong.

HornetsTwistSig.gif

New York Jets |3-3| First, AFC East

New York Mets |74-88| Fourth, NL East

New York Islanders|34-37-11| Fifth, Atlantic Division

New Orleans Hornets |21-45| Third, Southwest Division

im soccer, rugby, lacrosse illiterate so i didn't even know about any of the soccer stories.

the biggest story is the Sox winning the world series. when the last time they won the world series, none of my grand dad's brothers and sisters including himself weren't even born yet.

Magus.png

General Magus Zeal

Leader of the Mystics of Medina.

The forums most hated member ever.

Did anybody catch this from the arbitrator's ruling in the basketbrawl case? He wrote in his ruling that "...the riot that ensued was one of the worst, if not the worst, in the history of sports."

Count the arbitrator as another one who doesn't follow soccer.

In response to the actual question, seeing as how I live in Indy and much of my time at work over the past five weeks has involved covering the brawl mess, I'd have to give it to the Red Sox. Not only breaking an 86 year curse, but the way they did it (coming back against the Yankees) will go down in history and cause pleasant / horrifying memories.

I think the brawl will fade away until John Feinstein writes a book about it 25 years from now (ala Kermit Washington & Rudy T).

What about the England cricket team winning 8 tests in a row and 11 of 12 in the year??

It's funny... I saw that win on TV, and afterwards all the commentators and players were saying how much of a great effort it is and all that... but then I thought, England are going so overboard after winning 8 in a row, but Australia won 16 not that long ago.

Shows just how much dominance Australia have had over the years... in 120+ years of cricket, England have only managed to win 8 in a row in one stretch.

Although having said that, the Ashes next year are going to be quite a series.

But still, that was barely a blip on the world sports news radar... the Sox winning the baseball and the basketbrawl were probably the two biggest sports stories of the year.

It's pretty safe to say that no one outside of England (or wherever else they follow cricket) cares about that winning streak. That being said, I'm sure it's a big accomplishment, but it doesn't mean plop on the world stage. Sawks, hands down, the biggest story of the year.

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

It's funny... I saw that win on TV, and afterwards all the commentators and players were saying how much of a great effort it is and all that... but then I thought, England are going so overboard after winning 8 in a row, but Australia won 16 not that long ago.

Shows just how much dominance Australia have had over the years... in 120+ years of cricket, England have only managed to win 8 in a row in one stretch.

Although having said that, the Ashes next year are going to be quite a series.

But still, that was barely a blip on the world sports news radar... the Sox winning the baseball and the basketbrawl were probably the two biggest sports stories of the year.

possibly will be one of the closest Ashes series for a while, the last one was pretty one-sided and the last Test in Sydney was a dead-match so it meant nothing, funny how Sydney always get the dead-match....

i heard that they are the only Test playing nation to have won every match this year. But that's saying they have only played 8 tests this year? i mean Australia would win every match if they cared about all the dead-matches. We always finish matches within 5 days and the last match means nothin

wait, just saw the saintsfans post, 11/12 this year, Australia plays a lot mopre cricket in a year, we've played more than 12 Tests since June or whenever, that includes the cancelled Zimbabwe tour. Bring in Kenya i say- how much will the Aussies or Poms beat Bangladesh by? if we palyed them

It's pretty safe to say that no one outside of England (or wherever else they follow cricket) cares about that winning streak

maybe, saintsfan, what's the talk aroudn in England about the cricket side winning? there isn't really anything about it in Australia. Just a few news pieces here and there.... a bit more recently since they have got the 8 game record (don't celebrate till you win 17 in a row!) and now it is Cricket season over here....

and yeah, where is Greece's Euro 2004 win? that has got to be the best or Boston rEd Socks win

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

I think the biggest is the three in hockey.

Five e-dollars to who can guess them.

NOT INCLUDING LOCKOUT, everyone know it was going to happen  <_<

My guesses?

1) The Bertuzzi hit on Moore.

2) The Tampa Bay Lightning winning the Stanley Cup.

3) Those are the two that jump out, but the third... hmmm... I'll the 6 seeded Flames making it to the Finals?? That's prolly wrong.

1. Bertuzzi

2. Danton

3. Heatley

1. Bertuzzi

2. Danton

3. Heatley

I may be the only one, but i only concider the Bertuzzi hit to be a "Hockey Story" the rest were Entertainment TOnight stories of what hockey players were doing off the ice.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Archived