Weird Question About Cities and Logos

footballfiji

In New York, the Mets, Knicks and Islanders are all blue and orange, and the Mets and Knicks also have black.

The official colors of NYC are orange and blue, which explains the Knicks. Then again, the islanders don't play in the city, so maybe there is just some coincedence. The Mets took their colors from the old NL teams in NYC - blue from the Dodgers, orange from the Giants.

The islanders got there colors because blue and orange are the colors of Nassau County. The Nets did this as well.

nygiantsSig.gif

newyorkislanders.gif

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The islanders got there colors because blue and orange are the colors of Nassau County. The Nets did this as well.

The Nets have always been some variation of Blue and Red. Not Orange.

here's an old topic discussed many moons ago...

rumor was that the Bills were going to switch colors from royal blue and red

to black, red and silver, same as the Sabres. Then Sept 11 happened and owner Ralph Wilson

nixed it and they revised it to be navy and the hodpodge we have today. The only

nuance I can offee to suport this is on the Bills white unis, the shoulder color block

extends down the back to the nameplate area much the same way the Sabres white unis does also. I know it's a subtle detail, but one I noticed first time I saw the new Bills unis. It could

be a leftover trait from the redesign to make them look similliar to the Sabres.

Food for thought, wash it down with a loganberry

here's an old topic discussed many moons ago...

rumor was that the Bills were going to switch colors from royal blue and red

to black, red and silver, same as the Sabres. Then Sept 11 happened and owner Ralph Wilson

nixed it and they revised it to be navy and the hodpodge we have today. The only

nuance I can offee to suport this is on the Bills white unis, the shoulder color block

extends down the back to the nameplate area much the same way the Sabres white unis does also. I know it's a subtle detail, but one I noticed first time I saw the new Bills unis. It could

be a leftover trait from the redesign to make them look similliar to the Sabres.

Food for thought, wash it down with a loganberry

This is just MY opinion so I am not going to say that what you bring up is completely wrong, BUT

The Bills own this town as far as sports. The Sabres barely get a mention until the Bills season ends. I highly doubt the Bills would ever do something with the intent to be "more like the Sabres" I think the Bills plans all along were to get what they considered to be a "tougher" color of Blue than the old Royal. I had read that they were looking for ways to incorporate a Gray (Nickel actually, Buffalo Nickel get it?) but did not want to lose the whole Red, White and Blue thing they had going.

I don't know how many people know this little tidbit (I know someone who works in the Sabres Home offices), but originally the Sabres color changes were going to be to Black, Blue and Silver (with the Blue being darker than the awful blue they used before, and still the main color of the away jerseys), But at the time they were owned by the Evil Rigas family and they decided they wanted the new color scheme to match the Red of the logo of the cable company they owned. so they went with Red instead of blue, but made Black the major color instead of the Red.

Bears were named so because of George Halas' fondness of the cubs.

Took team colors from his alma mater Illinois.

Bulls took on Blackhawk team colors of Red, Black and White because Wirtz was partial owner of Bulls franchise originally and both played at old Chicago Stadium.

donm.gif

Gordon-Tech-Rams.png

I had never heard the black, blue and silver rumor, hmmmm. The Rigas' did not own the Sabres at the time of the uni and color change in 1996, the Knox family sold to the Rigas' in 1998. So it's just conicidence thay have the same corporate colors. Color schemes aside the way the colorblocking is on the two white jersey for both teams is a fairly subtle way of "relating" the teams regardless of colors. Was it intentional somewhere along the design process? who knows, we need to ask the person who did the Bills unis to get that answered. My belief is yes it was intentional, I think it's too obvious..

• 1 month later...
I don't know many other North American cities where the pro teams share colors or team "themes". Many WNBA teams were given similar colors and shapes to their NBA counterparts, but I think it was intentional for the purpose of the cross-promotion of both teams during the other's season.

In Boston/New England, the Red Sox, Patriots and Revolution are all red, white and blue (the Patriots and Revolution share an owner and a stadium).

In New York, the Mets, Knicks and Islanders are all blue and orange, and the Mets and Knicks also have black.

There are many cities where at least two of the pro teams share the same color scheme, but I don't know many that share the same theme.

Some arena football teams have a similar name to their NFL counterpart. Like the Colorado Crush.

that's how the desperados are. Their logo also has a cowboy theme to it. In fact, they're named the desperados because a desperado is the equvialent of a cowboy. Some arena teams are named for the NFL counterpart.

stars.jpg

dallasmavericks.gif

style1,JBPerry.png

<embed src="http://www.clocklink.com/clocks/5005-Blue.swf?TimeZone=CST&TimeFormat=hhmmssTT" width="180" height="60" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

joshuabperry@sbcglobal.net

My Webpage

Archived