Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

amare32

If that would increase their broadcast revenue like "LA Angels" will, then he would.

LA doesn't have much of a case here.  There are plenty of teams that play in the suburbs yet still bear the name of the city.

I think the big difference is that the cities WANT to be associated with the team in the suburb. In this case, L.A. doesn't want to be associated and is willing to go on the record stating that.

I, for one, am glad that L.A. has stepped up to oppose this. I think MLB should be opposing it as well.

Doesn't mean two craps that L.A. opposes this, there is no copyright over city names, I could start a team in Halifax and call them Vancouver, and Vancouver wouldn't be able to do anything about it.

MLB certainly can do something about it, but why should they? It's another team that can take advantage of a huge marketplace, MLB is drooling over this, and MLB knows that Anaheim has no case.

The team can legally still be the LA Angels of Anaheim, Anaheim's claim that it's hurting their economy and a silly name won't hold up in court.

However, I think the team will eventually be renamed the Anaheim Angels, simply because of the public outcry.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe Los Angeles needs to change its name to California City, so it can be like New York and offer a more ambiguous interpretation of what its sports teams actually represent.

For example, do the New York Islanders represent New York City or New York State? And does it reallly matter? No.

They seem to have things figured out over there!

if arte moreno really wanted to create a marketing monster, he would cash in on "The O.C." from Fox, which has made it cool to be from Orange County......

The O.C. Angels.

on a historical note, Walter O'Malley sagely bought the name "Los Angeles Angels" from the minor-league team that was there when the Dodgers arrived from Brooklyn in 1958.

Gene Autry later paid O'Malley$300,000 for the rights to the name.

So, you know what, the franchise paid for the name once, let 'em have it again. It really is no worse than the New Jersey Giants and Jets.

Maybe Los Angeles needs to change its name to California City, so it can be like New York and offer a more ambiguous interpretation of what its sports teams actually represent.

For example, do the New York Islanders represent New York City or New York State? And does it reallly matter? No.

They seem to have things figured out over there!

In my mind, the New York Islanders wil lalways represent Long Island, and more specifically, the counties of Nassau and Suffolk. 'm totally fine with an amibgous interpretation. Each fan has their own idea of what it means. But I'll always associate the Islanders with the Nassau and Suffolk counties of Long Island, and the Rangers with Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, Staten Island and the Bronx(I could have just said New York City, I know). They aren't that many teams in the area that would sound good with their city name. Obviously, the Rangers, Knicks, Mets and Yankees would all keep "New York", seeing as they actually play in the city. The same would go for the two teams in Buffalo. But who wants to hear about the Uniondale Islanders? And, I think most of us agree that East Rutherford Jets or East Rutherford Giants sound horrible.

Cali has many more recognizable cities that New York(which really has three: NYC, Albany and Buffalo, and the first dwarves the other two). So, I can understand the idea of using San Fran, San Diego, Anaheim, Oakland and Los Angeles, because I think all of them are fairly well known.

HornetsTwistSig.gif

New York Jets |3-3| First, AFC East

New York Mets |74-88| Fourth, NL East

New York Islanders|34-37-11| Fifth, Atlantic Division

New Orleans Hornets |21-45| Third, Southwest Division

This is turning into a fiasco they shoudl just stay the Anaheim Angels for crying out loud.

Don't take Joel's name in vein.

The Los Angelos Angels of Aniehem...the team nobody wanted.

Why don't they call them the Expos?

Swish!

RimShot.gif

:lol: I should use that someday......

I saw, I came, I left.

I agree - the Islanders represent Long Island. They get coverage in the local NYC papers, but they will never displace the Rangers in the hearts of Gotham hockey fans.

As for the Angels, I believe that it is inevitable that they will become the Los Angeles Angels once again. I don't think there will be enough public outcry to force them back into the bad financial position "Anaheim Angels" leaves them in.

The city realized they made a bad deal, but it was too late. They tried to amend the contract to require Disney to name the team "Anaheim Angels" but Disney shot it down. That means that both parties to the contract knew what was required and what was not, and that means that the City of Anaheim's position is now even weaker.

And the court agrees with me:

Angels name change upheld

Not much info yet, just a very tiny story on the OC Register's site:

-------------------------------------

Friday, January 21, 2005

Angels name change upheld

Judge rules team complied with terms of stadium lease by naming itself the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

By SARAH TULLY

The Orange County Register

The city of Anaheim today lost its legal bid to block the Angels' name change, allowing the team to enter the new baseball season as the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

[snip]

-------------------------------------

I looked back to see if this was mentioned--but LA doesn't want them using LA--when they're in Anaheim...

LA

I've already mentioned it....

:D Oaky it took an extra day to get to Canada... :D

:flagcanada:

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

and now the pull down menu for the individual teams on MLB.com lists the teams alphabetically by NICKNAME rather then city/state/location. All because the Angels cant figure out who they represent <_<

Angels screw everything up.

Fun fact: First I said "Yankees" instead of "Angels" and had to go back and correct it

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yahoo sports now lists the Angels as the Los Angeles Angels:

Los Angeles Angels- Yahoo! Sports

Interesting, they axed off the "of Anaheim"... whereas I was more sympathetic to the city :)Sportslogos.Net - Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Well, foxsports and espn (the networks that cover baseball nationally and will have the biggest influence on whether it LA or ANA) still list them as the Anaheim Angels. However they will probably change after the march hearing. If they stick with calling them Anaheim and list them as such and use ANA as there initials then this thing will fail.

Archived