Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

amare32

If you really want a headache, consider this:

To be really correct in naming the Angels, you could go all Spanish. "Los Angeles" means "The Angels", so you could name the team "Los Angeles del Anaheim", which strictly translated word for word means "The Angels of Anaheim", or in other words "The Anaheim Angels". Yeah, it seems ridiculous, but the more I think about it the better it seems. You get both city names involved without redundancy. Yes, it would be in Spanish, but so is much of California. Heck, so is a lot of MLB!

LT

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So which is correct?

City_____________Nickname

Anaheim_________Los Angeles Angles

Los Angeles______Angels of Anaheim

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

How about:

Golden State Warriors of Oakland (or San Francisco)

Florida Panthers of Sunrise (or Miami-Fort Lauderdale)

Carolina Panthers of Charlotte

Carolina Hurricanes of Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill-Fayetteville

Green Bay Packers of Milwaukee*

Washington Redskins of Maryland

*--I use the Packers for an example because 1) they used to play some of their home games in Milwaukee from the mid-30s to the mid-90s, and 2) their radio flagship station, WTMJ, is based in Milwaukee.

If they really wanted to expand their target market, they could have gone with...

"The Pacific Time Zone Angels"

OK, that wasn't as funny typed out as it was in my head.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Why can't they just do what Scranton and Wilkes-Barre always do and combine the names (i.e.: S/W-B Red Barons or the W-B/S Penguins). How about the LA-Anaheim Angels.

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Why the name change? It's not like nobody knows where Anaheim is, especially those living in Los Angeles. This is just plain dumb. :cursing: What the hell are the TV announcers supposed to call them? What the hell do the people at FOX put anyways?

I saw, I came, I left.

Are they TRYING to sound like the minor league team about an hour away?

After all, Seattle's high-A team is the Inland Empire 66ers of San Bernardino.

That I could understand, though. I mean, who other than West Coasters and those who have family in California really know what the "Inland Empire" is? Of course, they should just call them the San Bernardino 66ers and be done with it.

Are they TRYING to sound like the minor league team about an hour away?

After all, Seattle's high-A team is the Inland Empire 66ers of San Bernardino.

That I could understand, though. I mean, who other than West Coasters and those who have family in California really know what the "Inland Empire" is? Of course, they should just call them the San Bernardino 66ers and be done with it.

They're doing the same thing the Angels are trying to do, attract fans from Ontario, Rancho Cuckamonga, and Alta Loma I guess. <_<

metslogo_215.gif

Lest we forget...

The Colorado Rockies of Denver

The Florida Marlins of Miami

The Tampa Bay Devil Rays of St. Petersburg

The Indiana Pacers of Indianapolis

The Utah Jazz of Salt Lake City

Really, it's marketing genius. I would have never known otherwise that Anaheim was near Los Angeles! And I'm sure that Los Angeles residents, who never before knew that the Angels existed, will now flock to the team that bears their city's name. Okay, I understand contractual obligations and all, but is the name "Anaheim Angels" really that detrimental to the team's marketing potential? And if they really, really had to go that route, why not the "California Angels of Anaheim?" Honestly, I think this has a 50/50 shot of being changed before April rolls around, and might be just a leverage pull by Moreno to try and get a release from the city's obligation. But perhaps that's just unfounded optimism on my part.

--Sodboy13, proud supporter of the Chicago Wolves of Rosemont.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

In accordance of this ground breaking idea I would no longer liked to be known as GMac... but Regina GMac of my mom's Womb... and i wish to be reffered to as such... thank you and dont use my real name...

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

O.C. is messed up. Seriously. See this pattern?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim

Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

Angel Stadium of Anaheim

City of Anaheim

What the hell is wrong with these people?!? Yeesh! :mad:

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

You're forgetting my least favorite professional sports team:

The Greater New York Area Islanders of Uniondale (which is on Long Island) ((Which is an extended suburb of New York City))

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Archived