Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

amare32

Hooray, another set of teams we can use the popular (AL) and (NL) brackets for!

It'll be interesting to see how the Dodgers (LAD?  LA?  LAN?) get abbreviated now, similar to the Yankees (NYY) and Mets (NYM) or more like the Cubs (CHI/CHN) and White Sox (CWS/CHA)

Actually, I see CHC used a lot for the Cubs... certainly more than just CHI, and I can't remember ever seeing CHA for the Sox, cause that just seems like and abbreviation for Charlotte to me. Maybe in other stadiums...but I usually see CWS.

I think a lot of it is derived from AP's abbreviations, and since I was just looking at Ryne Sandberg's stats, I can tell you for sure that they use CHC for the Cubs (for box scores, stats, coding, searches, etc).

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First I heard there was an Anaheim, CA, I was 9 years old. And I always knew where Anaheim was since.

How dumb does Mr. Moreno think I am?!

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim my @$$!!!

BTW, my favourite CFL team is the Montreal Alouettes of Quebec.

People are getting way too emotional. The bottom line is that the team is now the Los Angeles Angels, with the "of Anaheim" tag just there as a legal technicality. Nobody's ever going to use that tag really, almost like how the New York Knicks aren't called the Knickerbockers anymore except for official documentation.

VmWIn6B.png

It'll be interesting to see how the Dodgers (LAD? LA? LAN?) get abbreviated now, similar to the Yankees (NYY) and Mets (NYM) or more like the Cubs (CHI/CHN) and White Sox (CWS/CHA)

CHN? CHA?

The Cubs are always CHC and the White Sox are either CHW or CWS depending on what you're watching. WGN, of course, just says SOX.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

There is nothing wrong witH LA Angels its catchy but the tag is stupid and I hope its dropped eventually.

I agree, but the tag is only a legal disclaimer that nobody's going to use. Besides, look at Anaheim... all they have is a couple stadiums, a convention center, and a couple theme parks. The rest of it is just like every other part of the LA Metropolitan area. Anaheim doesn't even have a downtown, while Long Beach and Irvine both have sprawling skyscrapers. Hell, the airport is in Santa Ana, where the county seat is located, not Anaheim. Seriously, even to me, who lives in Los Angeles County, the whole area is LA... bottom line.

VmWIn6B.png

I live 10 miles from Giants Stadium and NJ is part of the New York area and its a different stae so it not unusal at all and I understand the move completly in that sense.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

It'll be interesting to see how the Dodgers (LAD?  LA?  LAN?) get abbreviated now, similar to the Yankees (NYY) and Mets (NYM) or more like the Cubs (CHI/CHN) and White Sox (CWS/CHA)

CHN? CHA?

The Cubs are always CHC and the White Sox are either CHW or CWS depending on what you're watching. WGN, of course, just says SOX.

Well they can't be always that, otherwise I never would've seen it like that, right? :P

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

CHN? CHA?

The initials CHN and CHA sounded like those very old baseball games for PC AT 256... like Hardball 3! :lol:

That time was when MLBPA and MLB didn't give any authorization to the software manufactures to put real names of the players and clubs so you must to edit yourself each player and the clubs... and the leagues... and the initials!!!

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

There is nothing wrong witH LA Angels its catchy but the tag is stupid and I hope its dropped eventually.

I agree, but the tag is only a legal disclaimer that nobody's going to use. Besides, look at Anaheim... all they have is a couple stadiums, a convention center, and a couple theme parks. The rest of it is just like every other part of the LA Metropolitan area. Anaheim doesn't even have a downtown, while Long Beach and Irvine both have sprawling skyscrapers. Hell, the airport is in Santa Ana, where the county seat is located, not Anaheim. Seriously, even to me, who lives in Los Angeles County, the whole area is LA... bottom line.

I'd agree with that, whole heartedly.

metslogo_215.gif

CHN? CHA?

Well they can't be always that, otherwise I never would've seen it like that, right? :P

I don't have any examples to post, but I've seen some old baseball cards where the league abbreviation is appended to the city, like "CHA", "CHN", "NYA", "NYN", etc.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'd agree with that, whole heartedly.

I've actually been at several band competitions in Anaheim... not the parts near the theme parks. Nothing special about there. Looks just like every other part of the area, except for the old-world German "Welcome to Anaheim" signs. So, pretty much, they're now the Los Angeles Angels, and Anaheim needs to stop thinking so highly of itself.

VmWIn6B.png

What I find kinda ironic about this is that Anaheim is supposedly in the hunt for an NFL franchise, and they wanted Artie's help in drawing one there. Now suppose that they got one, do you honestly think the NFL is going to allow the franchise to be named the Anaheim "whatevers"? Of course not, they will be the LA somethings, is Anaheim gonna piss and moan about that? I'm sure they would be more than happy to let them be named LA. Seems pretty hypocritical to me.

metslogo_215.gif

The Los Angeles Angels part doesn't bother me. It's the addition of "of Anaheim" that's quite unusual.

wait until midseason... i'll bet we'll never see that tag again except for corporate matters.

VmWIn6B.png

CHN? CHA?

The initials CHN and CHA sounded like those very old baseball games for PC AT 256... like Hardball 3! :lol:

That time was when MLBPA and MLB didn't give any authorization to the software manufactures to put real names of the players and clubs so you must to edit yourself each player and the clubs... and the leagues... and the initials!!!

Yeah... now that I looked for it, I've seen CHN and CHA more... Yahoo uses it, and I think the old baseball video games is a very likely place to see it, now that I think about it more. CHC and CWS are the Fox abbreviations, but who knows what every stadium uses...

CHN? CHA?

Yeah... now that I looked for it, I've seen CHN and CHA more... Yahoo uses it, and I think the old baseball video games is a very likely place to see it, now that I think about it more. CHC and CWS are the Fox abbreviations, but who knows what every stadium uses...

Leave it to a Canadian to point out the alternate abbreviation of your hometown baseball teams :)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

There is very little consistency to team abbreviations on stadium scoreboards. At Fenway Park, for example, the Cubs and White Sox are CHI and CWS, while the Yankees are just NY while the Mets are NYM. I've also seen CHN and CHA, and NYA and NYN. Also, sometimes Pittsburgh is PIT and sometimes PGH. Montreal was MON in some places and MTL in others. And I once saw Philadelphia as PHL, although usually it is PHI.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

Archived