boggs and sandberg

goalieboy82

Just think of Ryno's defense if he would have...

DOVE FOR THE DAMN BALL!!!

Mr. Clean's in the hall of fame.

Even as a Cardinals fan, I know how much Sandberg ment to the Cubs team and the fans through the late seventies and eighties. He deserves it.

Will Boggs go as a D-Ray?

sure hope he does, the first Ray ever

I don't think so. He will go with the Red Sox cap.

Generally the HOF chose the cap to wear over the new inductee to avoid some conflicts.

Can you imagine the future plaque of Roger Clemens with a Red Sox cap?

To be honored at Fenway Park he surely will feel the same cold in Yankee Stadium felt by Dave Winfield after his induction as a Padre when everyone believed that he would choose the Yankee cap.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

It would be a traversty if Wade Boggs went in as anything other than a Red Sox player. Just as an aside what could the D-rays do if he did have a contract to go in as a D-ray? I guess they could sue for breach of contract but what kind of compensation would they get? how does him not going in as a D-ray affect them?

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Just as an aside what could the D-rays do if he did have a contract to go in as a D-ray? I guess they could sue for breach of contract but what kind of compensation would they get? how does him not going in as a D-ray affect them?

I think we'd need to see the contract in order to figure out what if any legal ramifications there are to either party. There's a lot of "if's" which make this an impossible question to answer without more info as to exactly what it was that he agreed to and what if anything he received in advance.

Just as an aside what could the D-rays do if he did have a contract to go in as a D-ray? I guess they could sue for breach of contract but what kind of compensation would they get? how does him not going in as a D-ray affect them?

I think we'd need to see the contract in order to figure out what if any legal ramifications there are to either party. There's a lot of "if's" which make this an impossible question to answer without more info as to exactly what it was that he agreed to and what if anything he received in advance.

I think my point was more could a legal department actually write that stipulation to give it any legal meaning? And would the D Rays pay any money before he was inducted? they would have been very badly advised to do so if they did I would have thought.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

The way I'm understanding it, the HOF has the ultimate say in what, if any, logo goes on the cap on the plaque (Catfish Hunter has no logo because he was too torn to choose between the A's and Yankees and asked for a blank cap). The HOF apparently does seek input from inductees, however there is apparently nothing which would bind the HOF to the player's preference. Therefore, if the HOF believed that Boggs was choosing Tampa Bay at least partially because he has received or would receive compensation for doing so, they would likely not honor that request. Now, if the HOF believes that a compelling case could be made for Boggs' induction as a Ray, that's another story, but it's doubtful that his single historical feat as a Ray (3000th hit) would be viewed as an equal or superior feat to the multiple batting titles that he won with the Sox or the WS he won with the Yanks, so I would have to believe that the HOF would not permit Boggs to be inducted as a Ray.

There's really no easy answer to your question. So long as the HOF holds all the cards as to what goes on the plaque, it would be hard to craft a contract between a team and a player because neither truly affects the ultimate outcome. However, if the deal was simply that Boggs ask to be inducted as a Ray, then that could certainly be drafted as a binding provision. It would be dumb because there's no guarantee that he'll be inducted as one, but they could certainly pay him to ask.

To be honored at Fenway Park he surely will feel the same cold in Yankee Stadium felt by Dave Winfield after his induction as a Padre when everyone believed that he would choose the Yankee cap.

Well, I think with the new Red Sox front office that came in 2-3 years ago Clemens wouldn't object to go in as a Red Sox. If Duquete (SP?) was still there there would be no way he goes in as a Sox. I think that the HOF looks at how the player left the team when giving options to what is on his cap.

I belive Dave Winfield was the first player under George to be given his own day at the Stadium and not have his number retired. Maybe even the first Yankees Player to be given his own day and not had his number retired. But can you blame Winfield? Would you go in as a certain team if that owner called you Mr. May and hired a gambler to dig up dirt about you?

You can't contract something like that. The Hall has the final say, they just get player input. Ultimately it is up to the Museum, and they are not bound by player contracts.

thats prety stupid, it should be up to the player and not the HOF......if Wade wants to go in as a Ray since he got his 300th hit there, so be it

You can't contract something like that.  The Hall has the final say, they just get player input.  Ultimately it is up to the Museum, and they are not bound by player contracts.

thats prety stupid, it should be up to the player and not the HOF......if Wade wants to go in as a Ray since he got his 300th hit there, so be it

I wholeheartedly disagree.

Yes it should be up to the player, but its rediculous to have a Devil Ray in the hall of fame. Their lame attempt to give themselves history with Wade Boggs is sickening to me. They retired his number, labeled the seat where he had his 3000th hit. Is anyone else kinda feel weird that a hall of famer announced their retirement at Tropicana Field???

I mean, has boston retired his number?

Anyway, looking at Boggs, bring back the 80's! Everyone looked like a lumberjack! Mattingly, Boggs, Buckner,...shaggy hair, staches, stirups with white socks pulled up halfway to the calf, what a look!

Well, I think with the new Red Sox front office that came in 2-3 years ago Clemens wouldn't object to go in as a Red Sox. If Duquete (SP?) was still there there would be no way he goes in as a Sox. I think that the HOF looks at how the player left the team when giving options to what is on his cap.

I belive Dave Winfield was the first player under George to be given his own day at the Stadium and not have his number retired. Maybe even the first Yankees Player to be given his own day and not had his number retired. But can you blame Winfield? Would you go in as a certain team if that owner called you Mr. May and hired a gambler to dig up dirt about you?

About the Clemens' stuff, you are right. But there are some BoSox fans still resented with Roger. But with some timely good words from Clemens about his Boston's era around his future HOF's induction will create a good climate among the Boston fans and him. Well, if Clemens will retire this year, there are still 5 years from now for make an armistice between him and Boston fandom.

About Dave Winfield, you are right too. the Boss worked to dirty the name of Winfield but everyone knew that Steinbrenner hoped that Winfield would choose the NY cap that assured Winfield more and more dollars signing baseball cards of himself with a NY cap... So the Yankee franchise would have one more HOFer in its rich history.

But Winfield chose being worthy himself. Went to HOF with a Padre cap giving a virtual middle finger to the Boss and all the dollars that he could earn with all the Yankee Memorabilia marketing.

pennants.png

That one is from an article from Yahoo Sports:

``I was so happy for the people of New England,'' Boggs said. ``Finally, they can sit there and walk down the streets with their heads held high and chests poked out.''

That represents a clue of the Boggs' cap.

pennants.png

You can't contract something like that.  The Hall has the final say, they just get player input.  Ultimately it is up to the Museum, and they are not bound by player contracts.

I wholeheartedly disagree.

Yes it should be up to the player, but its rediculous to have a Devil Ray in the hall of fame. Their lame attempt to give themselves history with Wade Boggs is sickening to me. They retired his number, labeled the seat where he had his 3000th hit. Is anyone else kinda feel weird that a hall of famer announced their retirement at Tropicana Field???

I mean, has boston retired his number?

Anyway, looking at Boggs, bring back the 80's! Everyone looked like a lumberjack! Mattingly, Boggs, Buckner,...shaggy hair, staches, stirups with white socks pulled up halfway to the calf, what a look!

Boston hasn't retired Boggs' number yet, as one of the team's requirements is that you must be in the HOF before receiving consideration.

The other is that a player must spend at least 10 seasons with the Sox.

And, BTW, there is nothing wrong with the HOF having final say on what a player has on his cap for the plaque. It prevents players going into the HOF as a member with a team with either little history (i.e. Boggs/Tampa) or for one they aren't usually identified. It's a good rule, and one that should have been in place from the beginning.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

That one is from an article from Yahoo Sports:

``I was so happy for the people of New England,'' Boggs said. ``Finally, they can sit there and walk down the streets with their heads held high and chests poked out.''

That represents a clue of the Boggs' cap.

Which, if you read between the lines, there should be scheduled a Wade Boggs Night at Fenway where his #26 will be the sixth retired by the team (see previous post).

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Yeah man... for the Red Sox that will be a nice year: rise of the WS Pennant and a new number to retire in the ballpark.

It should sell very well the tickets for the games in those days.

And, despite being myself a Red Sox fan, I think that another guy deserves a pass to the HOF: Don Mattingly of the Yankees.

pennants.png

Well under new rules its who the players is most recongized as and I think they use games palyed with a team and in taht case Boggs is going in with B on his hat. Although there was talk a few years ago he had a bonus from the Rays coming if he chose a TB, of course tahst one of the reason behind this rule now.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

A Devil Rays cap would look pretty stupid on a HOF plaque at this point.

Glad to see Boggs and Sanberg in, but I still can't understand why Goose Gossage isn't in. He had 300+ saves back when they meant something, and was the most feared reliever of his era. And Jack Morris gets no respect. The winningest pitcher of the '80s, one of the greatest WS performances ever, and he's 200+ votes short? You can really only compare a guy against his time, and he was the best starting pitcher of his time.

Boggs and Sandberg both deserved in.

So did Sutter IMO. They guy was the first real relief pitcher. If he makes it in next year, he'll be the first pitcher in the Hall without a start.

Also, I'd have loved to see Willie McGee make it, but he won't. He had a great career, but he only managed the minimum 5% to stay on the ballot next year. Not that I think that's really wrong or anything, I'd just LIKE to see him in. He probably doesn't quite deserve it though, and he certainly won't get it.

What I do dislike is the fact that the Cards ownership has this policy (not anything official, but a guideline) that a player has to go into the HOF to have his number retired. First off, though it is before their time, Ken Boyer is not in the Hall (though he should be IMO), and his number is retired. Also, there is no way anyone will wear 51 again anyway. At least not as long as people remember Willie. Bud Smith was given 51 a few years ago, but he became 52 within no time due to fans expressing their feelings that is Willie's number.

Generally the HOF chose the cap to wear over the new inductee to avoid some conflicts.

That would delete any chance of Clemens being in Legend Park ^_^

Boggs should go in as a Sox. My theory on Hall-of-Famers is that they should go in with the team they achieved their fame with.

That would delete any chance of Clemens being in Legend Park ^_^

Boggs should go in as a Sox. My theory on Hall-of-Famers is that they should go in with the team they achieved their fame with.

Clemens will get to pick his own Cap. He's a special case. No other player has played for so many dominant teams, and been such a dominant player on each. His greatness has been spread pretty evenly.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

Archived