2005 World Logo Poker Tournament

Puckguy14

Forgive me if I'm being obtuse, but I still don't get what the advantage would be... even for a top designer... to bet all their chips if nobody has to match their bet. They still only get 50% of the total pot if they win right? In fact if I'm doing the math correctly, it's to their disadvantage to put more in than they have to.

For example, say I'm the last to bet and the pot sits at 1000 chips before I bet. Let's say I am totally deluded and think I'm going to win the contest outright. I have 2 choices 1) bet the $100 min or 2) go all in with... say... 1000 chips. Okay pretend amazingly I win. In scenario one I take 50% of 1100 chips giving me 550. Subtract the 100 I put in gives me a net gain of 450. In scenario 2 I get 50% of 2000 which is 1000, Subtract the 1000 chips I put in leaves me w/ a net gain of 0...aka zippo. All I did was finance the 2nd and 3rd place finishers.

Am I missing something?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Forgive me if I'm being obtuse, but I still don't get what the advantage would be... even for a top designer... to bet all their chips if nobody has to match their bet. They still only get 50% of the total pot if they win right? In fact if I'm doing the math correctly, it's to their disadvantage to put more in than they have to.

For example, say I'm the last to bet and the pot sits at 1000 chips before I bet. Let's say I am totally deluded and think I'm going to win the contest outright. I have 2 choices 1) bet the $100 min or 2) go all in with... say... 1000 chips. Okay pretend amazingly I win. In scenario one I take 50% of 1100 chips giving me 550. Subtract the 100 I put in gives me a net gain of 450. In scenario 2 I get 50% of 2000 which is 1000, Subtract the 1000 chips I put in leaves me w/ a net gain of 0...aka zippo. All I did was finance the 2nd and 3rd place finishers.

Am I missing something?

well you certainly arent acute.

I hate to bring up math again, but with your proposal jkrdevil you still don't win xtra chips by betting more than the minimum and if you don't win you would lose more than if you bet as few chips as poss. So there's still no advantage, just a lessened... but still existing... disadvantage to betting more chips.

I like the format and I think it could be fun, I just think you've got to require that everyone match the highest bet in order to participate in any given event. Sure, that will cause some people to get eliminated a little quicker, but I think that adds to the fun. I say use regular poker betting rules... and also set an ante for each event so there's no way for someone to place 2nd or 3rd by sitting every event out.

Actually, I'll start it tonight, since I'm at work until 6pm ET tomorrow. I'll have the thread up and the info in just a bit.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Archived