New York High School Football Helmet Project

MC Buffalo

I have been working on a High School Football Helmet site for the State of New York like the ones that I have seen for Ohio, South Carolina and Georgia. I have roughly 61% of the helmets for the State, so I am releasing the site to the public.

I am not happy with the loss of quality on some of the darker helmets when saved as a jpg, but saving them as bmp would have taken some pages way to long to load, and increased that chance that the site would get bogged down because of too much transfer bandwidth easier. It seems taht Red Helmets were most affected by the loss in quality being converted to jpg, sooner or later I will probably just go back through and redo them in another format and replace the really shabby looking ones.

If you are a member of this board, or just an anonymous browser of this board and are from NY and can help me out with quality pictures of helmets I am missing please feel free to send them along to nyhelmetproject@yahoo.com I will be be sure to post a thank you to anyone who helps me out with some details which leads to adding another helmet to the site.

New York High School Football Helmet Project

Thanks,

Mark

Looks like there is an issue with the bandwidth. I spent the last 1/2 hour checking all the county links, so when a few of the members hit the site it must have surpassed the bandwidth max on geocities. If anyone knows of another free site with better bandwidth allowances I'm all ears.

I think it takes about 20 minutes to 1/2 hour for the site to reset itself.

Not exactly the rollout I wanted, that's what I get for not paying to have the site hosted. If it attracts any real interest I will look into a hosting service.

Site is backup (at least until the bandwidth is surpassed again)....

Does anyone know of a free hosting site without the bandwidth limitations?

You could probably do angelfire, I think there is one called freewebs or something, but angelfire I guess. Someone here probably knows a better place, but if you want to just do a temp. one, angelfire is the way to go.

Oh, and I have Hills West helmets. Forgot to say that.

bosox,

Thanks for the info, someone else had mentioned freewebs, I will have to look into that and see if they have a larger bandwidth limit.

Avenger,

I was under the impression that gif files were even lower quality than jpg. thanks for the tip maybe i will try that instead of bmp. So I don't make bandwidth issue even worse.

Thanks Guys

bosox,

Thanks for the info, someone else had mentioned freewebs, I will have to look into that and see if they have a larger bandwidth limit.

Avenger,

I was under the impression that gif files were even lower quality than jpg. thanks for the tip maybe i will try that instead of bmp. So I don't make bandwidth issue even worse.

Thanks Guys

GIF will be higher quality for images with reduced color pallettes. With GIF files, it doesn't compress image quality like JPEGs, but it will reduce the pallette to a max of 256 colors.

GIF will be higher quality for images with reduced color pallettes. With GIF files, it doesn't compress image quality like JPEGs, but it will reduce the pallette to a max of 256 colors.

That makes sense, an original gif may not be as good as a jpg because of the limitations, but compressing an original that has less colors will "lose" less quality.

I guess if I had sat back and looked at it properly I could have saved myself a lot of time now that I have to redo so many to bring the quality up.

Thanks Again,

This project is absolutely oustanding. Gdffl, I'm PM'ed you info about the Starpoint helmet, to the best of my knowledge, and I have a scan of the logo which I will e-mail to you. Also, if they haven't changed, Medina used the SMU mustang when I played. I believe the mustang was red with a blue outline, but I can't be sure on that detail.

starpoint.pngclippers.pngbullsnew.gif

This project is absolutely oustanding. Gdffl, I'm PM'ed you info about the Starpoint helmet, to the best of my knowledge, and I have a scan of the logo which I will e-mail to you. Also, if they haven't changed, Medina used the SMU mustang when I played. I believe the mustang was red with a blue outline, but I can't be sure on that detail.

Thanks for the positive press gba, I responded to your PM.

There are quite a few helmets that I have a general idea from memory or quick glimpses on local sports, I remember Medina's having the SMU (Calgary Stampeders since this is a Canadian dominated messageboard) helmet. But couldn't remember striping or if there was an outline on the mustang.

There are lots more where I think I know, but would rather wait until I get some proof.

I knew posting my project on this site would pay divdidends. Already thanks to gbasalmon I was able to add the Starpoint Spartans to the Niagara County page.

I also broke down and converted the account to a pay account, this should eliminate all bandwidth issues. Not to mention the pain in the butt geocities ads which were on the free site.

Bosox,

Thanks for the picture, the Sayville Golden Flashes have been added....Of course you better not be reading this... YOUR GROUNDED!

Looking forward to help from any other New Yorkers out there with pics or detailed info on other High School Teams.....

Hey,

Love the site...a few quick things, all in Monroe County. Sutherland and Mendon are both Pittsford schools, and they combine to create the Pittsford Panthers football program. Second, I have links to various games featuring the Fairport Red Raiders, with fairly clear looks at the other schools on it.

Pittsford vs. Fairport This is Pittsford...very similar to what Michigan, Delaware, Princeton, etc... have.

Rush Henrietta vs. Fairport Sorry for the crappy quality on this one, but this is the best I have. It's gold, and has the letters 'RH' with a comet and star cutting through them.

Penfield vs. Fariport Penfield decided to become Ohio State this season, and even though I hate them, I can say that I applaud them on going with such a classy look.

Edison Tech vs. Fairport This is a very simple and classy look for Edison.

McQuaid vs. Fairport I noticed one of the teams that you didn't have is the McQuaid Knights, who also play in Monroe County. Another classic design.

Hope that these pictures can help. It's great to see someone capturing the pride of high school football in an underrated state. Keep up the great work! :D

ducks-large.jpg

Nugent,

Thanks for the info. I used your info on Pittsford to add them to the Monroe County Page, also added Penfield and Edison Tech. The Rush Henrietta pic wasn't quite clear enough to recreate.

The reason you don't see McQuaid on the Monroe County page is that this site is for Public High Schools only. If I'm correct McQuaid is a Catholic School.

Thanks again for the help, if you stumble across any other missing teams let me know.

Archived