ESPNHL - The new league

paynomind

Yeah the Bay Area needs a team the Sharks are too good of uniform to be contracted and they have true fans and a large market.

Heres my idea

Get rid of

Flordia Panthers

Carolina Hurricanes

Phoenix Coyotes

Atlanta Thrasehers

Nashville Predators

and Mighty Duck of Anaheim

Weather its contraction or relocation whihc i prefer these 6 markets are the ones that should be eliminated.

If its relocation

I say put teams in these cities

Winnipeg

Portland

Seattle

Salt Lake

Hamilton

Halifax

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Here's my fantasy alignment:

Smythe Division:

Calgary

Colorado

Edmonton

Los Angeles

San Jose

Seattle

Vancouver

Norris Division:

Chicago

Dallas

Detroit

Minnesota

St. Louis

Toronto

Winnipeg

Adams Division:

Quebec

Ottawa

Buffalo

Halifax

Hartford

Boston

Montreal

Patrick Division:

New York Rangers

New York Islanders

New Jersey

Pittsburgh

Philadelphia

Tampa Bay

Washington

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

As long as no Canadian teams are lost--well put the others wherever you want to!

As for California--Anaheim should be the team to go from there--they already have the Kings in the south, and they have some history.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Maybe we can merge a BCS type playoff system with the New Realigned NHL.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

tsk-tsk.. you fudamentalist, misty-eyed, foolish traditionalists are at it again.

What part of "Atlanta is one of 5 profitable franchises in the league" do you guys not understand?

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

I don't understand why the players and owners of the leauges (I guess the owners are) look at the NFL example. The NFL was a mess as recent as 15 years ago. Now its become the most watched sport in the country. What did it take? Major restructuring including a Salary Cap. Now you have teams like the chargers going from a laughing stock to the playoffs in one season.

Every season fans honestly believe that this year could be the year for their team.

Btw, I saw a cool billboard in St. Louis today. It was advertising the Missour River Otters and all it said was "Got the Blues?" with their logo. Also a Hardees thickburger billboard right next to the Saavis Center that said "Big enough to hold you over til next season"

Stupid NHL. They are done. ESPN should move forward on this.

I don't understand why the players and owners of the leauges (I guess the owners are) look at the NFL example. The NFL was a mess as recent as 15 years ago. Now its become the most watched sport in the country. What did it take? Major restructuring including a Salary Cap. Now you have teams like the chargers going from a laughing stock to the playoffs in one season.

Football only lacked parity back then. Financially they were a mess and players were taken advantage of. They were still extremely popular with the viewing public and sellouts every sunday, save a few cities.

The NHL has never been popular with the American viewing public and this is only killing them. This lockout only lets a sport that was struggling for a fan base, outside of Canada, to only slip farther down the sports entertainment food chain.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

Hockey wasn't minor league for a little while though. The latest couple rounds of expansion are because of hockey gaining popularity in the United States. Back in teh mid-nineties hockey was on ABC for regular season games. Now you'd be lucky to find it on the duce.

Looking back now, I think hockey filled baseball's void after their strike. And once baseball returned to its glory, hockey was gone.

Hockey is always going to be seen as a "niche" sport around the country. It could be on network TV 24-7, but that won't mean the ratings go up. Look around at the minor hockey leagues around the country. This is where the fan attraction should be built from. I don't think people are going to channel surf and stumble across a hockey game for the first time and watch the whole thing. The people watching hockey now are basically bred into it. Generations of family members enjoy hockey and get more family members into it.

Check the attendance of these minor league teams in the areas where the nearby NHL team's interest isn't strong. Do these teams sell out every game, or are they filling 40-50% capacity? Look around Nashville, Raleigh, Miami, Anaheim. If these teams are struggling with fan interest and attendance, are the minor league teams filling the void?

I don't think it's necessarily about price. For going to the games it is, but the games are on TV often enough. Yes, the minor league teams are generally cheaper than NHL teams. But it's the diehard fans who are continually going to the games. I don't think the rate of new hockey fans is growing that much...new fans going to games for the first time (at any level) seems to be the exception rather than the norm.

Since most non-hockey fans view it as a niche sport, the only places where hockey is going to the ratings and revenue the league and networks are hoping for is in the areas that really don't need the marketing...Northern & Northeastern U.S., Canada, and sporadic metro areas around the U.S.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

tsk-tsk.. you fudamentalist, misty-eyed, foolish traditionalists are at it again.

What part of "Atlanta is one of 5 profitable franchises in the league" do you guys not understand?

If all the teams had a low payroll they'd be profitable too, I think they're basing the relocation of Atlanta on the following.

Atlanta's NHL attendence rank (based on Pct of Capacity)

2000/01: 23rd

2001/02: 29th

2002/03: 29th

2003/04: 22nd

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Low payroll may be part of it (anyone have any numbers on that?)

But I think corporate sponsorships is a HUGE part fo the money. Selling the boxes, and the ads.

lus, Phillips arena wins awards every year for their fan experience.

When it comes right down to it, what to NHL owners want? A profitable franchise in a city that is 22nd in attendance percentage, or a money-bleeding franchise in the top 5 of attendance. I'm no business major, but I can guess the answer.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Low payroll may be part of it (anyone have any numbers on that?)

But I think corporate sponsorships is a HUGE part fo the money. Selling the boxes, and the ads.

lus, Phillips arena wins awards every year for their fan experience.

When it comes right down to it, what to NHL owners want? A profitable franchise in a city that is 22nd in attendance percentage, or a money-bleeding franchise in the top 5 of attendance. I'm no business major, but I can guess the answer.

They'd prefer anything profitable for sure (just look at the cities that lost teams in the past 10 years).

Does Philips Arena have a mandatory long-term commitment policy for boxes? I think SkyDome and A.C.C. had a 10 year minimum for box purchases.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Yeah the Bay Area needs a team the Sharks are too good of uniform to be contracted and they have true fans and a large market.

Here's my idea:

Get rid of:

Florida Panthers

Carolina Hurricanes

Phoenix Coyotes

Atlanta Thrashers

Nashville Predators

and Mighty Ducks of Anaheim

Whether it's contraction or relocation which I prefer these 6 markets are the ones that should be eliminated.

If it's relocation:

I say put teams in these cities:

Winnipeg

Portland

Seattle

Salt Lake

Hamilton

Halifax

Replace Atlanta with Pittsburgh and that's basically what I would have happen. I think 24 teams is about the maximum the league can support for now. My divisions:

Wales Conference

Patrick Division

NY Rangers

NY Islanders

Boston

New Jersey

Philadelphia

Washington

Adams Division

Atlanta

Tampa Bay

Toronto