Thought I'd dig up my first design

ltravisjr

Hey, I am pretty new to this group and to logo design in general, but I thought you might be intersted to see my first ever concept. As I said, I am new to this, so these two concepts are fairly recent. I created them as an idea for Washington's identity before the "Nationals" nickname was chosen. It isn't great but hopefully my skills will improve as I continue to learn from you folks. Any suggestions on what I could have done better will certainly be appreciated!

LT

Federals.png

Hey, I am pretty new to this group and to logo design in general, but I thought you might be intersted to see my first ever concept. As I said, I am new to this, so these two concepts are fairly recent. I created them as an idea for Washington's identity before the "Nationals" nickname was chosen. It isn't great but hopefully my skills will improve as I continue to learn from you folks. Any suggestions on what I could have done better will certainly be appreciated!

thats the right attitude. i know im only 17 but thats the attitude i like to see haha. you will get better just because of your outlook on things. for a first concept, you have a pretty solid idea. i like the F/star thing going on. i think the colors could use some work, and a little better execution. overall, this is good and its always good to see new designers on this board.

thats the right attitude. i know im only 17 but thats the attitude i like to see haha. you will get better just because of your outlook on things. for a first concept, you have a pretty solid idea. i like the F/star thing going on. i think the colors could use some work, and a little better execution. overall, this is good and its always good to see new designers on this board.

Thanks for the kind words, AAO. I have seen your work and any compliments coming from your direction are well appreciated. 17 years old. Wow. That still amazes me. I am 37 myself and when I was 17 I would spend idle time doodling my favorite team logos with colored pencils and markers! Now it seems I have the software tools but not the time, lol. Anyway, I am working on another idea for a Puerto Rico team, and you will definitely see some vibrant color there!

LT

That's really not bad. It took me a while to make out the "F" within the star but that's not too uncommon for me. Heck, I can remember when I had no idea that the "mit" or "glove" within the old Brewers logo had initials in it.

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

That's really not bad. It took me a while to make out the "F" within the star but that's not too uncommon for me. Heck, I can remember when I had no idea that the "mit" or "glove" within the old Brewers logo had initials in it.

Yes, it took me a while before I saw all the components of that M-B logo as well. But once I did I was amazed. The thing had the initials, the obvious shape of the glove, and even a baseball for the void of the "b". I don't know of any logo that cleverly did so much in such a simple way. One other "hidden element" logo I didn't recognize at first was that the Atlanta Falcon logo is in the shape of an "F". I have a whole new appreciation for it now too.

Thanks,

LT

One other "hidden element" logo I didn't recognize at first was that the Atlanta Falcon logo is in the shape of an "F". I have a whole new appreciation for it now too.

Well that's news to me also, I had no idea!

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

it looks like an eagle. is it supposed to? i think if you used a more custom font, maybe a little cleaner and sleeker, and used ONLY the F shape as the logo, youd have something really nice. the diamonds and baseballs add a lot of clutter.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

it looks like an eagle. is it supposed to? i think if you used a more custom font, maybe a little cleaner and sleeker, and used ONLY the F shape as the logo, youd have something really nice. the diamonds and baseballs add a lot of clutter.

No, I am afraid I didn't intend to use any eagle shape - if you are seeing that I guess you could consider it a bonus :-)

As far as the font, on the left logo I started with "Currency" and cleaned it up a bit. I used it because I figured since it is the font on our money it would give it a "federal" feel. I kind of agree about the diamonds and baseball clutter. That was an addition after some early feedback I had that the logo did not look "basebally", but more like something Americorps would use. I am surprised nobody has commented that the logo with the swoosh looks like a "C". It is not supposed to, and so I think that that is a drawback to that version.

I appreciate your comments. When I revisit this thing again I will certainly take them into account!

LT

I like it... 2 edits I'd make: I think the top part of the F is just a millimeter big, and needs slightly more seperation from the star... I think the grey dropshadow needs to be lightened 2 shades as well. Also I'd try red or gold for the top part of the F?

Steve-O and Prologo -

Thanx so much for the compliments and constructive criticism! I will surely try to use the suggestions when I experiment more with this thing. If either of you (or anyone else for that matter) wants to try your hand at perfecting it, by all means feel free...

LT

Archived