Copperhills Thunderbirds

barnesdesign

TBIRDFIRSTDRAFT.gif

Hey guys here is what I have so far for my Thunderbirds logo. I only have the main bird and secondary head designs so far, no wordmark as of yet. The "C" and "H" are subject to change or may be taken out entirely in deference to more subtle details of the wings. As far as the three heads go, my favorite is the top right, it has more of a lightning shape to it. The school's colors are copper and blue, but I thought adding a bit of red and some yellowish highlights help it a lot.

As far as the design of the main bird goes, I wanted to do an update of our actual school logo, and give reference to that look a little bit:

images.jpg

Anyways Let me know what you all think as far as making it better and so forth. I appreciate your opinions.

Thanks! :)

I love the full bird! Not too bad. Colors a little too dark for me, but I guess you can't change the schools colors. Nice job.

MonoMan gies it a 7.5

I suffer from a very sexy learning disability..... sexlexia.

I like Head logo 3 the best of the three only because 1 and 2 remind me too much of Southern Miss, on the basis of the "head swoop" alone.

Love the main logo, although the contrast could be adjusted, as has already been said.

It's where I sit.

Diggin' it. Maybe it's the preview, but is their red the same dark that you are showing? It's just that you lose some of the detail from more than 5 feet away. If it was a tad brighter, it'd be easier to see. Since you added the red, I'm sure you tried a different shade of blue in its place. Not baby blue, but a lighter shade. Did that make the color composition too "cool"? Not saying to change it. I like the red.

Love the feet.

I like head logo 2 just a smidge over head logo 1 because on 1 the neck looks too long. I do like the jagged edge at the bottom of it, though.

Head logo #3 is much more aggressive than the other two, I think it's the one that works best on its own. I don't think that angle and pose would work if it was still attached to the body, because it would look like the neck was broken.

Overall, it's a great start. The eye needs some work...it looks like the bird is bored or tired, especially with the mouth/beak/bolt line. It almost looks like the bird is mumbling something. You might not need that extra line across the beek perpendicular to its shape, right by the snout. It starts to get a little busy in there.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

very very nice, might need a different shade of red to help with contrast (to give it more)

I agree, this combination of colors is a little too dark for the logo.

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

(I never knew Utah State had a good design program.)

That's news to me too but I think I've heard it somewhere in the past.

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

Dude, I didn't even really notice the number of bolts in the bird until people starting bringing it up. I think its plenty subtle enough and one of my favorite concepts I've seen here. I'm leaning towards head #2. Just looks like the most natural flow.

Yeah do that.  Do exactly THAT

I like the design, and prefer head logo 2.

However, if I may ask you to refrain from using all caps when posting new topic subject titles, just as a matter of board clutter reduction and board maintenance.

People respond to good design... and it seems like you've got that end down pat, so you have no worries that your concepts will get lost in the shuffle.

It's not a big deal, but just a small matter of courtesy.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Sorry about that syphi, I hadn't really thought about it as trying to draw attention to my thread. Thanks for the input everyone. I suppose my monitor is showing the red and blue differently here, but I think I could change that up a bit.

And let it be known that Utah State does not only produce basketball teams that get snubbed from the NCAA tournament (and lose on the road to IPFW, for that matter), but it has a GREAT graphic design program, although I may be a bit biased ;)

Wordmark is coming along, btw

Thanks guys :)

I really like the light yellow highlighting on this one. I think the shade of red is fine. Head logo #1 is my favorite. Keep the "C" "H" in the bird.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I like Head logo 3 the best of the three only because 1 and 2 remind me too much of Southern Miss, on the basis of the "head swoop" alone.

Ditto. Go with No. 3

For reference/comparison:

eagle.jpg

I think the CH is a bit forced. The design and package is so original, I think it stands alone without a "hidden" or not so hidden C H in the wing to denote the place/school name.

Like Lucky, I think the number of bolts in the design is fine. Hey, this is a mythical creature after all, who's to say how many bolts you'd see?

Overall a truly well-thought, well-worked, original and creative design.

:D

It is what it is.

Ditto. Go with No. 3

For reference/comparison:

eagle.jpg

In all fairness, #3 reminded me a little of this Atlanta Hawks alternate logo.

It's tough to come up with a unique view of a bird-of-prey's head for use in a logo. So many have been done.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Archived