AFC Championship Game

Nick 1733

Who do you think will win?  

80 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never thought a team on a 15 game winning streak that DIDN'T allow an offensive TD could look so vulnerable, but I'd have to pick New England.

This is just an observation and a guess. I have no horse in this race as mine threw four picks in a one and done.

New England plain old figures out ways to win and until the champs are dethroned they aught to be favored.

Keep in mind Pittsburgh tends to treat home field advantage like Philly does in title games.

With that said. Can the Steelers win? Absolutely. Should be a great game. But Big Ben did everything he could to lose Saturday and I'd look for more of the same next weekend as NE tries to make him win it by himself this time.

As for the Colts. Good riddance. If they insist on playing that style of ball, they've got to be more committed to securing home field and not being content with 12 or so wins and 3 seeds. I know its petty, but I'll take some offseason solace in other teams dreams being shattered for a while.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

The Patriots are not just a 'lucky' team. They're a team with the best coaching staff in the NFL, and a ton of talent.

Tank, they were lucky to play the Colts in snow the past 2 years? Maybe this year, but let's not forget that they went into Indianapolis and beat the Colts last season in the climate controlled dome and won 34-31.

And it's not "The Tuck Play".. It's "The Tuck Rule", because it was a rule in the rulebook. But yes, the Patriots got lucky because they won fairly. Makes sense, I guess.

It's not the Patriots fault when coaches have crappy gameplans. Or is it that Belichek's gameplans are that much better?

I voted New England to win because, well, I can't see Pittsburgh having a chance.

Think about it, New England just held one of the most prolific offenses in NFL History to 3 points. I wouldn't be suprised to see Pittsburgh fail to score an offensive TD. Especially with a rookie QB, who looked very human last week.

IUe6Hvh.png

As I see it, Pittsburgh Offense has everything the Colts O didn't. Size and Strength at a position the Colts needed it most, Wide Receivers. Pats won't be able to stop Ward and Plax all day. And I still don't get where the Pat's D Line is going to stop Duce and the Bus?

They failed miserably in the first game, and as long as Ben reverts to his normal self, the D plays like they usually do then Dillon will be a non-factor.

I'm going Steelers 24-17. The Steelers have everything in a team the Pats don't want to play.

The Steelers could have easily lost that game, if Brien and the Jets didn't beat themselves. Roethlisberger looked human out there, and started to make some rookie mistakes. He is still a great quarterback behind an even better offensive line. But the Patriots are a much better team than the Jets, and they will beat the Steelers and make a repeat visit to the Super Bowl.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

So snow in New England in January is luck is it? Oh wait no, thats home field advantage actually. thats called being a good team.

Ah but whats this? beating the 'fastest track team in football' in a superbowl played indoors? This team doesn't just rely on copnditions. Belichick put in place a fantastic game plan to win that game. not all Martz's fault.

Oh look 20-3 thats gotta be a scoreline that relied on luck? or maybe just one of the great defenses in football history.

I am sure the Pats have had there fair share of luck this year, but name me a superbowl champion team that hasn't had a slice of luck somewhewre.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

The same thing goes the other way also, the Steelers could have easily won the game. If it wasn't for those 2 mistakes, which I admit were huge, the game would have been a run-away and the national media wouldn't be so down on the Steelers. The mistakes were costly and almost gave the game away. But other then that the Jets were punished in almost every single category. The Steelers ran the ball on what is probably one of the best D's in the NFL continually, they held TOP by a large margin, and the D... well we don't have to go there. As long as the mistakes are contained this Sunday I expect a Steelers win. But as per the Patriots D, I just don't see where they are better or even marginally the same as the Jets D is.

And to add to that, Roethlisberger looked far above human in 2 drives in the 3rd and 4th quarter and in OT. He looked like the same Big Ben I've been watching all year, and hopefully that continues against the Pats.

Can someone also explain why the Patriots have to play the Broncos in Denver AGAIN? Why do the Patriots always have to go to Denver?

I dont know! Why do the Bengals always play the Bills every year?!

Signature intentionally left blank

As I see it, Pittsburgh Offense has everything the Colts O didn't.  Size and Strength at a position the Colts needed it most, Wide Receivers.  Pats won't be able to stop Ward and Plax all day.  And I still don't get where the Pat's D Line is going to stop Duce and the Bus?

You do understand that when you're comparing the Steelers offense to the Colts offense, you're comparing an offense that is somewhere in the middle of the league to one of the best offenses ever... right? Why won't the Steelers be able to stop Ward and Plaxico all day? They held a QB that just had one of the greatest seasons ever (Plus the greatest season by 3 WR's ever) to 3 points -- what's make you think they won't be able to hold a rookie in check? Troy Brown, a WR, was able to successfully blanket the, arguably, best slot WR in the NFL today.

Oh, and for the record, the Jets run defense was ranked #5 while the Patriots run D was #6. Not a huge difference. Plus the Patriots aren't fatigued like the Jets were.

The same thing goes the other way also, the Steelers could have easily won the game. If it wasn't for those 2 mistakes, which I admit were huge, the game would have been a run-away and the national media wouldn't be so down on the Steelers. The mistakes were costly and almost gave the game away. But other then that the Jets were punished in almost every single category. The Steelers ran the ball on what is probably one of the best D's in the NFL continually, they held TOP by a large margin, and the D... well we don't have to go there. As long as the mistakes are contained this Sunday I expect a Steelers win. But as per the Patriots D, I just don't see where they are better or even marginally the same as the Jets D is.

You really can't say "Those 2 mistakes", they're part of the game. It's like saying "Well, if the Colts didn't let the Patriots drive down the field 3 or 4 times, they might've won!" Special teams is part of the game, it's not a 'mistake' if something doesn't go right, or 'lucky' if something does go right. The coaches don't just throw players on special teams and hope for the best. It's not as though they don't practice and gameplan it. And the Jets -- one of the best D's continually? This year they were ranked what, 10th in the league? Last year they were ranked 20th. They've consistently had underachieving D-Lines and sub-par secondaries. This is a team that was also missing their best Defensive lineman na dhad played 10 quarters of football in the past 2 weeks. I wouldn't say the Steelers 'punished' the Jets either as to me, it looked like the Jets outplayed them for a large portion of the game.

And what point did Big Ben look all that good in the game? I don't remember watching at any point in time and saying 'wow, this kid's really feeling it, how ever will they stop him?'

IUe6Hvh.png

InTheEnd88,

I couldn't agree with you more.

Tafkak,

I don't know why you think the Patriots D isn't that good. They can't compare to the Jets D? Did you not see the Patriots defense completely shut down the Colts? If you want to say that talent wise (on paper), the Patriots D might be less than stellar, then fine. However, they have the league's best linebackers, a solid d-line, and the team's only "weakness" is using backups in the secondary. What makes the defense so good is the schemes and disguises, and the linebackers. Tedy Bruschi, Ted Johnson, Willie McGinest (quasi-linebacker), Roman Phifer, Mike Vrabel, and Don Davis(quasi-linebacker as well), and hell, you can throw Dan Klecko in there as well. The thing is, they are great against the run when they need to stuff the run, and they are great in pass rush and coverage when they need to stop the pass.

And Tafkak, with you in Pittsburgh, you must remember the AFC Championship game three years ago when the Patriots dismantled the over-hyped Steelers, and you probably remember when the Steelers got destroyed in the 1998 regular season in Pittsburgh by Bledsoe after he broke his finger just two weeks earlier. Why? Because no ground game. And you probably remember the Steelers barely beating the Patriots 7-6 in the 1998 divisional round, and you probably have already forgotten how the Patriots mauled the Steelers in the fog in the 1997 divisional round. Common thread in all of those games? The Steelers struggled mightily to do anything against the Patriots defense. Those games proved that the Patriots can controll the Steelers running game, and one back in particular, the Bus. You might say those games were six or seven years ago, but the linebackers were the same with Bruschi, Johnson, and McGinest. In fact, I can't remember when the Bus has had a great game against the Patriots, whether it be Parcells coaching, Carroll coaching, or with Belichick as either head coach or under Parcells.

So my advice to you is take those extremely rosy colored glasses off because if you think it will be a cake walk for Big Ben and the boys, you will be very disappointed.

GO PATS!!

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

But as per the Patriots D, I just don't see where they are better or even marginally the same as the Jets D is.

:shocked::shocked: You can't be serious... They held Peyton Manning, the greatest QB of our time, to NO touchdowns, and you have the nerve to say that the Patriots defense is worse than the JETS?! The Pats, in my brain, are going to win the SB.

Snow does mighty wonders for a team that doesn't like to play in it.

And for all you Pats fans, you mention 2001, 1998... is there a certain date this year I seem to recall? Halloween, 34-20 wasn't it?

The Steelers Offense is totally different from the one the Pats D just faced. The Pats D is basically the same D they tried to stop the run against us last time with. I don't see how they'll fare any better this round. Not only will the Pats have to stop the Bus, but they'll also have to stop a rejuvinated Staley who looked mighty good in the last game.

And one last thing, I don't expect for anyone's love or admiration for the Steelers, but this is a team that has won 16 straight, and from the way everything sounds, it's like your playing the 49ers. Not just Pats fans, but the National Media are making it out to be like that.

I know the Steelers came off a horrible game, believe me as a Steeler fan I just about died, there were people sent to hospitals with Cardiac problems around Pittsburgh. and I know the Pats came off an almost perfect game against a Prolific Offense. But there are so many differences between the Steelers and the Colts, and I don't think anybody looks at it. They look at the score and assume because we had a bad game and the Pats a good one, the cookie is in the bag.

It's not going to be like that, or at least I hope, and god forbid the Pats do come in and beat us than good luck in the Super Bowl. But the way everyone is talking, like I said, it's like your playing the 49ers or the Dolphins... but we won't mention anything about them.

Don't get your hotel room yet Pats fans, you still have a game to play.

The Steelers Offense is totally different from the one the Pats D just faced.  The Pats D is basically the same D they tried to stop the run against us last time with.  I don't see how they'll fare any better this round.  Not only will the Pats have to stop the Bus, but they'll also have to stop a rejuvinated Staley who looked mighty good in the last game.

Well heck. If it's a given the Pats will gameplan the same and play the same way as they did on Halloween, why even have the game? I'm not afraid to admit the Patriots got manhandled by the Steelers in Week 8. I guess the Steelers had to beat the Patriots sometime.

But I'm glad you pay no attention to how Belichick, Crennel, and Weis coach this team.

Show me one time in the last four seasons where the Patriots lost to the same opponent twice in the same season/postseason.

Added note: Since when have the Steelers won 16 straight games? Ended the season 15-1, but lost in week 2, which means they won 14 straight, then a playoff game, so 14+1=16. Yep.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Well, let's look at it this way:

Momentum:

Patriots-handly defeated the best offense in modern time

Steelers-barely beat a mediocre team in overtime, one that was playing in its third straight overtime game, because of two fluke field goal misses

Experience:

Patriots-2 Super Bowl titles in the past 3 years

Steelers-crushed by Dallas in Super Bowl XXX, quarterback in his first season, proved human against the Jets

Plus, let's not forget the Corey Dillon factor. Therefore, kinda obvious that the Pats have a huge advantage.

VmWIn6B.png

Tom Brady -- The best big game player in the NFL. Has played at his best in the two biggest games of his career. 2004 was the best season of his, so far, amazing career.

Big Ben -- Rookie QB who looked shook in his first ever playoff game, and the pressure is only larger in this next one.

There's no such thing as a 'big game' on halloween, in the NFL. Tom Brady will show up and play at his best, this weekend.

IUe6Hvh.png

Oh, I'm sorry, I meant 16 straight after this weekend.

Anyways, I dont' see Belichick or any of the other coaches putting on pads and going out there and making tackles. Sure he's a smart coach and all but he can only do so much from the side-lines.

The only reason I brought up the Halloween victory was because it was it truly the only one relevant to this year. 2001 was two years ago, and both of these teams have changed incredibly. The Halloween Victory was minus only one, I guess you could call him key but he won't matter much Sunday, player and that was Dillon. For the most part both teams have stayed the same and the Steelers will still run the ball down the Patsies throats with Staley and Bettis. Didn't see much stopping them then nor do I see much stopping them now.

Archived