N.Y. Islanders concept...

P.I.L.L.

somehow, I get the feeling you're from the bpc board...

the island is fine...I've only had 3 people out of nearly a thousand , (many of whom were Isles fans) who've seen it say the island was "unidentifiable" in any way. but good comic relief w/ the REAL Islander, funny stuff. :D

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Prologo, I'm not gonna pile on with commments about your work. I think this Islanders concept is pretty good. I just thought I'd give you a bad example of gradients used in a hockey logo. I know you changed the concept, but this is good for everyone too see.

"When gradients Attack!"

exhibit1.jpg

exhibit2.jpg

As you can see, it looks bad when embroidered. From a distance the orange in this logo make the Tarantula head look like it has some sort of paynomind type clown wig on. Or maybe Art Garfunkel with a beard.....anyways be careful when using the gradient technique.

somehow, I get the feeling you're from the bpc board...

What is the bpc board? :wacko:

With the thick outlines, the island is not easily identifiable, especially with the "NY" obscuring much of it. Perhaps changing it to a topographic map, the blob would become readily recognizable as an island. Maybe you could add a large dot to identify NYC, and a pair of smaller dots for Lefittown and Hempstead. The addition of lines to denote major highways would also go a long way toward perfecting this design.

In general, you should steer clear of using geographical boundaries as design elements; they weren't drawn to look pretty in the first place, and God certainly did not lift Long Island out of the ocean because he found its shape to be visually appealing.

3rd update after CC... the shoulder striping is off, I know. Still undecided there.

and I will use a template for this and others sometime soon.

792_Isles06.jpg

I never thought I would EVER do this for one of your concepts, but :notworthy: those unis are awesum.

thanks TFoA... I feel good about this one overall.

as far as machpost's view of the island... well, what can I say, the original Isles logo uses a topographical version of the island, and I felt it could be improved upon... stylized~ afterall it IS an interesting shape, as Texas patch on the Stars uni. The jury is still out on the shark fin N/Y but, it works I think.

gradients are a "natural" transition from one color to the next, which works great for print, but rarely effective w/ embroidery... as stitches just aren't ink.

(there were gradients in this logo's sky / sea originally)

CC is constructive criticism... and it's greatly appreciated / usually useful

2nd update...

792_Isles06.jpg

That's frickin' awesome!

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

thanks... something's buggin me about it though (and not the island) :rolleyes: can't quite put my finger on it, but it's nothing major... it's probably that I really want to keep the original gradation of the sky~ just was a cool touch, and I'm stubborn to say it would be an easy / effective embroidery. anyway, CC is still appreciated.

I think the island part of the logo is fine as is, there's only so much one can do with the shape before it starts to look whacky. Though, those who haven't lived here their whole lives and who aren't as familiar with the shape of Long Island might not see it very easily, especially because the spot where the two forks split is obscured by the Y-stick.

As a general rule of thumb, just leave gradients out of your logos. I don't know why you insist that they make your designs better.

As far as I've known my whole life, Long Island has never really been famous for its sharks. I know you've mentioned in the past that apparently a huge mofo of a shark was caught here, but they rarely make it this far north, especially during the cold winter that mkes up a lot of hockey season. People around here don't have monster shark stories like they do down in the more exotic of the islands. That said, I don't know why the shark fin type thing is in there. I think it makes a weird serif at that spot, where no serifs exist elsewhere on the letters.

I don't like that the bottom right corner of the N is the only spot that comes to a sharp point, while the others all have flat ends. I'm also thrown off by the fact that the white outline around the text ends abruptly where the stick detail begins at the bottom of the Y.

Close the circle. Just looks unbalanced to me.

I like the uniform striping, but the silver tone looks a little peachy next to the orange on my monitor.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

thanks Shmee...

the circle will probably be closed, but not 100% sure yet... as for the shark fin~ it could be toned down to be more like a normal "fish" fin, cause after all, Long Island abstractly resembles a fish in general... not sure it would look better flattened out... but I'll adjust the pointed bottom right of the N for sure, and the outlining as well.

just noticed the stick was too long on the top right... forgot to resize when shrinking the circle + the NY was not quite centered ... wow, amazing what happens when you lose sight of the whole.

I think the island part of the logo is fine as is, there's only so much one can do with the shape before it starts to look whacky. Though, those who haven't lived here their whole lives and who aren't as familiar with the shape of Long Island might not see it very easily, especially because the spot where the two forks split is obscured by the Y-stick.

As a general rule of thumb, just leave gradients out of your logos. I don't know why you insist that they make your designs better.

As far as I've known my whole life, Long Island has never really been famous for its sharks. I know you've mentioned in the past that apparently a huge mofo of a shark was caught here, but they rarely make it this far north, especially during the cold winter that mkes up a lot of hockey season. People around here don't have monster shark stories like they do down in the more exotic of the islands. That said, I don't know why the shark fin type thing is in there. I think it makes a weird serif at that spot, where no serifs exist elsewhere on the letters.

I don't like that the bottom right corner of the N is the only spot that comes to a sharp point, while the others all have flat ends. I'm also thrown off by the fact that the white outline around the text ends abruptly where the stick detail begins at the bottom of the Y.

Close the circle. Just looks unbalanced to me.

I like the uniform striping, but the silver tone looks a little peachy next to the orange on my monitor.

*nod nod* I pointed out the lack of sharks thing before, it's been a good five years since we even had a shark sighting in my area. One thing Prologo was right about is that the two ends on the Island out in Suffolk HAVE been called fishtails many, many times - although, I think more people OUTSIDE of Long Island call them that than people ON Long Island. I've never considered Montauk Point a fish tail, but I guess I'm normal like that.

Anyways, prologo, I really like this Isles concept, and if they ever restart hockey, I'd basically have zero problem if they were sporting those unis. I know you liked the shark-Island... and the gradient... and the black, but as a lifelong Isles fan, I'm glad you listened to the C&C you got - that's one of the great things about this board, that nine times out of ten you are getting suggestions that'll help your idea if you implement them - unless the suggestion comes from me, in which case, you'd be making nothing but Mets concepts :P

HornetsTwistSig.gif

New York Jets |3-3| First, AFC East

New York Mets |74-88| Fourth, NL East

New York Islanders|34-37-11| Fifth, Atlantic Division

New Orleans Hornets |21-45| Third, Southwest Division

as a big-time isles fan, this design is fantastic, respects the old whilst bringing the isles into the 21st century. coupla things

1. you gotta have the four shoulder stripes represeting our four cups.

2. the spike where the 'n' and 'y' meet is too distracting.

3. i'd be curious to see the 'n' and the 'y' intersecting with the map of long island.

again, fantastic job. always tuff to choose between loyalty to the original and allowing forward design

Archived