N.Y. Islanders concept...

P.I.L.L.

One thing about the shark fin...and about designing for sports teams in general.

The elements you decide to include MUST relate to the team, fans, area and such.

Including an obscure reference to some shark that was sighted umpteen years ago means nothing to hockey fans in the midwest, west coast, etc.

A logo needs to represent the essence of the team and it's fan base. One thing some designers forget is that they are actually designing for the fans, not necessarily the owners. The design must resonate with the fans in order to be considered a success.

Who buys the merchandise? Fans. I have purchased numerous hockey jerseys from the NHL and AHL based solely on their design integrity and by integrity I mean that when I look at that team's jersey I get the sense that I "know" what the team is about.

One thing to consider is that the fans identify with their team through their clothing, it is their way of belonging, of being "a part of" the club. You wear their "colors" both metaphorically and literally. If the fans feel a logo doesn't represent what they perceive their team to epitomize then the nicest, most clean and pretty design is a failure.

I think you alienate too many Islander fans by including a reference to a shark in the team's crest.

Otherwise it has improved since it's early drafts.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen all your updates and they look pretty good.

But what separates good from great IMO is the logo. There's too much of everything going on. Too much modernization, too many colours... I'd try to tone it down.

Keep it up though!

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

The only shark related things about Long Island I can remember and I grew up on the South Shore are the Shark Tournament in Freeport every year and hearing about sharks being caught and brought into Montauk. I'm also a lifelong Isles fan and while I never liked the fisherman style jersey i like the logo as it's more modern but not the dramatic shift the Fisherman was.

I truly appreciate the diehard Isles fans that have chimed in w/ CC... sometimes it takes a while for me to detach. anywayyyyy, the colors may still need some work... but the logo's done, as far as I can see. Hopefully their ownership is into it as much as the fans. B)

after looking at it several times, the N/Y is "back in black" ...as the contrast is most effective...

792_isles2.jpg

and still extermely too busy, the outlines are doing it in. make the leg of the y a continuous hockey stick, and make the ny smaller as well as the island.

Indeed, by far... brilliams!

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

i like how you took the old logo, changed it ever so slightly, and made it look Brilliams!

"ever so slightly"... welllll, let's just say Mr. Papadopoulous would definitely take issue w/ it.

gracias senors... :hockeysmiley: sadly, there's no hockey right now... but it's just a matter of time... hopefully the same can be said w/ this one, although I'm not 100% happy w/ it... CC is still appreciated.

Archived