Bama Layeth the Smack Down

bhambruiser

98-49? are you kidding me? Was Winsome Fraizer that big of a loss? I mean, he is good , but come on....talk about not showing up

'Bama stymies Roberts, doubles up on Bulldogs

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (AP) -- Earnest Shelton scored a career-high 34 points and Alabama held Mississippi State without a field goal for nearly 15 minutes of the first half in a 98-49 victory Tuesday night, the Bulldogs' worst loss in 50 years.

The No. 22 Crimson Tide (14-3, 3-1 Southeastern Conference) allowed just three field goals in the first half for a 49-18 lead, shutting down the Bulldogs' backcourt and denying star Lawrence Roberts uncontested shots at the basket.

It didn't get any better after that for Mississippi State (No. 19 ESPN/USA Today; No. 17 AP), which matched its second-worst loss, a 113-64 defeat at Louisville on Dec. 8, 1954. The game was supposed to be a battle for early control of the SEC West, but it ended up looking more like a non-conference mismatch.

The Bulldogs (15-4, 3-2) trailed just 9-8 early but went 14:33 without a field goal before Roberts banked one in with 1:04 left in the first half. They shot 3-of-20 in the half. Mississippi State, which fell to 1-2 since second-leading scorer Winsome Frazier was lost to a broken foot, has lost two straight road games since winning 16 in a row.

Without him, the Bulldogs had no answer for Shelton, Kennedy Winston (24 points) or Ronald Steele (10 assists).

With 23 points, Shelton outscored the Bulldogs by himself in their lowest-scoring first half of the season. He scored 14 consecutive points during one stretch, including four of his five first-half 3-pointers. The half ended fittingly, with Winston draining a 26-footer at the buzzer after point guard Gary Ervin picked up his third foul on a charge.

Mississippi State couldn't even do what it normally does better than anybody in the league: rebound and defend against opposing shooters. Alabama hit 57 percent of its shots and dominated the boards 38-25.

Shelton made 13 of 22 shots, only four fewer than the Bulldogs. Winston made four of six 3-pointers while Chuck Davis had 14 points and helped contain Roberts inside. Steele had half of Alabama's 20 assists and the Tide hit 12 of 25 3-pointers.

The Bulldogs missed on all 11 3-point attempts and shot just 36 percent overall, with nobody hitting outside shots to open up any opportunities for Roberts inside.

Roberts had 19 points and seven rebounds but only two field goals in the first half. He had to settle for getting his points at the free throw line. Ervin had 10 points but four turnovers and only one assist.

The game didn't come close to living up to its recent history. The previous five meetings were decided by a collective 18 points.

The Bulldogs have lost all three games against ranked opponents. Shane Power was 0-of-6 shooting and didn't score.

i tune in and the damage had BEEN done by then, with MSU merely trying to stop Bama from notching a c-note. It's sorta like watching the last 15 minutes of a building burning down-you're thankful your house ain't the one burning.

that was brutal....i feel sorta morbid.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

i liked it  :D ...but yeah from a viewers perspective it stunk.

And from a Mississippi State's fan view... It was painful watching that :cry:

And as a Crimson Tide fan, I laugh at you.

How can someone from Georgia be a Bama Fan? You seem to be a pretty big Falcon Fan or are you just a bandwagon jumper?

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

Archived