My First Submission

RedEye

master splinter?! :shocked:

just kidding. that looks pretty sweet... my only complaint is that the jersey the rat is wearing sorta looks like a hurricanes jersey more than a devils jersey.

great debut. welcome to the board.

I was looking for the turtles too--

But yes nice job on that--gets the elements in to the image...

Looks good...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Thanks for all of the compliments folks! Nice to hear I debuted well!!

Here are the revisions, thanks to many suggestions here.

I also had issues with the placement of Albany.

The 'A' in the tertiary logo has also been changed to the same version of the font that River Rats is in. The old version used a different version of the same font...but this is more cohesive.

How is this version? I would like to submit it to Albany so if there are any further changes you all think I should make I am open to them.

RiverRatsNew.jpg

That's awesome RedEye.

Just one question, why add blue? I know it kind of relates to the river, but it seems to throw off the color scheme a bit, especially considering the influence of the Devils to the current jerseys and colors. I don't know if you could replace the blue with the darker silver and still get the effect in the patches, but I think the silver would work better with the striping on the jerseys than the blue would.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

JP, I hear ya on the blue and you are right, I am wanting to emphasize the river in the logo and color scheme. I know that they are tied to the Devils but as I look at other affiliated teams many add colors or in some instances they deviate completely from the "parent" team and find their own color scheme entirely.

I feel the old logo, by not using blue or imagery of water, focuses on the "Rat" part of the name and ignores the "River" part. I wanted the new logo to reflect more of the name and also the fact that the Hudson River is a big part of Albany.

I wanted to add the blue into the body of the home and away jerseys to help tie them to the new logos. The third jersey is a direct nod to the Devils organization...so the tie is still there but the home and aways give Albany it's own unique identity with a hint of Devils influence...I hope.

Below is the blue in a medium gray...any thoughts on which you all prefer?

RiverRatsNew2.jpg

oooh both are sexy... i do like the blue i do find the royal, red, and black is a very under-utilized combo... but the silver is also very nice and does convey a great look as well... hmmmm i dont know if I could choose between the 2

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

man, whats up with the newbies showin me up lately. first ben now red eye. (well ben has a degree in this so yeah its expected). red eye do you also have a background in this? this is some very excellent work.

WTG, what a debut!!!

I live in the Albany area, and let me tell you this...

We fans LOVE the nickname, but most of us are tiring of Rowdie the River Rat.  It's about time the ownership change logos...and more important, ditch the Devils unis.  Fifty miles north of Albany is the UHL's Adirondack Frostbite, who have a MUCH better logo....

What happened to Barry Melrose's Adirondack Red Wings?

The Red Wings moved out of Glens Falls years ago, when the Rats moved in. Detroit was disallusioned with the city, it was too small of a market. They were going to have the team in a Toledo suburb, but that arena never materialized.

Years later, the Winston-Salem IceHawks relocated to the foothills...and after last year, the aforementioned Mr Melrose, a resident of the area now, gathered a group of people, including his Hockey Tonight associate Steve Levy, and purchased the Hawks..they held a rename the team contest...and voila, Frostbite emeraged. They are holding the UHL All-Star game Monday, preceeded by a charity game, which pits A-Wing alums - including on defense Barry - against a commissioner's team - which has Mr Levy AND ESPN/ANC John Saunders. Look to ESPN to have highlights of that...

R

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Joshua,

I do have a degree in graphic design and have been focusing on sports related identity and marketing for the last 5-6 years. I am looking to really focus my freelance business on sports marketing as 80%-90% of my work and other design work the rest of the time. As you all know that is easier said than done but I have been fortunate thus far to have hooked up with some great guys in the sports world and I hope it continues to grow!

That is why I am here. You all have fanned the fire in my soul for this. Your designs make me want to kick it up a notch and that is what I hope my submissions will do for all of you too. There are some tremendously talented people here!

RE: the 2 versions I still think the addition of the blue helps to give the 'Rats their own identity and doesn't lean so much on the Devils.

Joshua,

I do have a degree in graphic design and have been focusing on sports related identity and marketing for the last 5-6 years. I am looking to really focus my freelance business on sports marketing as 80%-90% of my work and other design work the rest of the time. As you all kow that is easier said than done but I have been fortunate thus far to have hooked up with some great guys in the sports world and I hope it continues to grow!

That is why I am here. You all have fanned the fire in my soul for this. Your designs make me want to kick it up a notch and that is what I hope my submissions will do for all of you too. There are some tremendously talented people here!

RE: the 2 versions I still think the addition of the blue helps to give the 'Rats their own identity and doesn't lean so much on the Devils.

yeah i was just wondering man. the concepts behind my designs are good, but usually the execution isnt. you definitely have both man. great work.

Archived