Java Help

Nick 1733

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this. I still haven't figured out how to use the Java function in GoLive.

What I want to do is make a large 'image box' then have small images all around it. I want it when I put the cursor over the small image, the larger version appears in the large box.

Can anyone help me please?

I wasn't sure where this would go, so I put it where it would get the most traffic

Nick, I have come up w/ a simplified technique which I just verified that it really does work. I'll send the new instructions to you tomorrow. The new instructions will most certainly not be so unweildy as what I send you earlier.

Nick, I have come up w/ a simplified technique which I just verified that it really does work. I'll send the new instructions to you tomorrow. The new instructions will most certainly not be so unweildy as what I send you earlier.

okay, sounds good to me, thanks again.

All right. Simpler is almost always better. Unlike the last one, in this tutorial I will assume you know almost nothing about GoLive. I created an example file which you may want to look at:

http://webpages.charter.net/jcrawmer/misc/Example/main.htm

If you give me your email address, I?ll send you the source files for that page. It may be very helpful to get that file from me so you can see how I structured everything.

Now for the Steps:

In GoLive open the page that you want this effect to happen in (I?m going to call it the main page from now on.) I am going to assume you already have everything setup w/ the thumbnails... along with the cell where the full size pics will eventually display... in place. If you don?t, go ahead and get it set up that way and save it. Just leave this file open.

You will need to create a separate html file for each of the full size pics. Basically just create a new html doc w/ a single cell table that is the same size as the blank cell on the main page that the full size pic will ultimately display in. Actually to be safe, I would make this table a little smaller than the cell it will display in. Now, just drop your graphic into that cell and save it. Repeat for each graphic. Then go back to the main page.

Put an inline frame* into the blank cell that the full size pics will display in. You now need to format the iframe. Go to the ?Inspector? where you will 1st need to update the source. Put the URL for the full size pic you want to display by default (before any mousing-over takes place) in the source field. 2nd, you need to name the iframe so the javascript effect will work. Under the ?source? field you will see a drop down menu that says ?none?. Click on it and select ?name?, then add a name in the Name/ID field to the left... for simplicity just call it ?topframe?. I would also change the ?align? field to ?absmiddle?, change ?scrolling? to ?no?, and finally uncheck ?frame border?.

Almost done. Now press ctrl+shft+7 to bring up the rollover & actions menu. Select one of the thumbnails and go to the rollover & actions menu. Click the ?actions? tab, then in the events column select ?mouse enter?, in the actions column click ?create new item? (next to the trash can icon), then click the ?action? button underneath the events column. Go down to link, then select ?Goto Link?. Go down to the ?link? field underneath the ?action? button, and point it to the full size pic html file that corresponds to the thumbnail you?re working on. In the ?target? field, type ?topframe?. Now do the same thing for each thumbnail.

You?re done. I would recommend doing 1 more thing though. Go to the ?page properties? menu, click ?html?, select ?write code into page? under ?javascript functions?. Save the file.

-Jeff

*first icon in the frames set of the objects palette

Archived