Australian States Hockey Project

jr79

Inspired by ICS's American States project and with much borrowing from Roger Clemente's "design your own NHL jersey" designs I've bundled this lot together.

So far I've stuck to using more traditional state seal sorts of designs. I don't quite have the logo-making abilities to go completely original with these, but I might play with some alternates down the track to go a bit more original (including templates).

I hunted through the templates of lots of NHL teams to find patterns that I thought suited each state and their traditional colour schemes. Here in Australia our states often play each other in sport so their is less debate as to what state colours would be, unlike in the American version where some quite different concepts for each state came up.

Lots of C&C is welcome because I'm trying to improve my skills in the high powered MS Paint and Paint Shop Pro ^_^

First up is my "home" state of New South Wales.

nsw2.PNG

NSW has always used a two-tone blue scheme, with sky-blue/powder-blue as the main shade and a darker trim or accent and this doesn't stray too far. The Waratah crest is from a proposed new state flag as our existing state badge is rather complex and not suited to a hockey jersey. Our rugby team is called the Waratahs as well and use a similar logo. Got a great idea for an alternate down the track using the existing state badge but it'll stretch my talents to the fullest!

Queensland:

qld2.PNG

The Sunshine State has a designated official colour, maroon (Pantone 202 to be precise) but there is often debate as to whether or not it should be used with white or yellow/gold as an accent. Different sporting teams use both colours with maroon and I've used them together here. That logo is the Queensland government's "corporate" logo and its not brilliant, but those yellow sun rays sort of make out the shape of the state (honest). It's better than their coat of arms and state badge (a maltese cross and crown).

South Australia

sa2.PNG

Red, Blue and Yellow are traditional SA colours and all their sporting teams have used them, although their cricket team has introduced what appears to be black (or a very very dark navy blue) :mad:. I've avoided that and stuck with tradition. That badge features a piping shrike, their state bird, and that seal is taken from their state flag.

More states to follow when time permits.

liverpool-1.png

I really like the powder blue and diagonal stripes you have for NSW. It's the best out of all of them, in my opinion. What type of flower is on the logo? IT's looks nay bad as a general design and might looks good incorporated as a secondary (perhaps on the shoulder?).

Good job!

HibsSignature.gif

Thanks go to Eddie010 for the Signature and Avatar. Nice work, mate!

Wow, the QLD one is great!

NSW has potential but I really don't like that main shade of blue. I assume it's the same as the NSW Blues rugby/cricket teams, but I don't think it works here.

And I'm a Victorian so I won't comment on the other abomination. No offence. :P

Wow, the QLD one is great!

NSW has potential but I really don't like that main shade of blue. I assume it's the same as the NSW Blues rugby/cricket teams, but I don't think it works here.

And I'm a Victorian so I won't comment on the other abomination. No offence.  :P

Yeah that shade of blue is a little flourescent isn't it? I've found though that its hard to get a good light blue shade in RGB for some reason. I'll fiddle with it a little. (Updated above)

Victorians are excused from C&C on SA cos it'll only be biased anyway :D

liverpool-1.png

Victoria:

vic2.PNG

Well if I'd done anything else they'd have killed me :D

They love their big V so in line with tradition I used a more basic template for them. I'll have to break out a more original alternate down the track though.

liverpool-1.png

Man that Vic set is absolutely awesome. If the serifs on the top of the V were a little bigger, I think it'd look more balanced, but apart from that it's perfect.

Is there any places that do up custom jerseys? I'd love to have one of those made up for me to wear.

Tasmania:

tas2.PNG

This one caused me no end of problems. That logo is an extract from their government logo which I recoloured to their traditional state colours of red, green and yellow.

And Boonie is of course the greatest thing ever to come out of Tasmania :notworthy:

They are crying out for a decent alternate given all the vicious animals that live(d) there... devils, tigers etc.

The whole Minnesota Wild set would have worked almost unchanged for Tasmania but would have been unoriginal.

(Fixed the serifs on the big V as well)

liverpool-1.png

Some nice work--and oddly enough--it looks Australian to me--must be the logos.

It's weird--I've been surfing various Australian sites lately, and have seen these logos on my travels...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Western Australia:

wa2.PNG

Ok this is probably the weakest of the concepts but I found it really hard to work the black and gold colours of WA without looking like a Pittsburgh reject.

The black swan design is taken from the state flag/badge.

I'm probably going to take a break now before trying some more out there alternates for each state, and maybe doing NT and the ACT.

liverpool-1.png

Given I used the more modern Queensland logo on the original set here's a retro alternate for them. Unlike the original this is the closest RGB I could get to Pantone 202 the official state colour. It's a slight recolouring then of the Coyotes.

qld_alt2.PNG

I tried this just with a big Q on the front but it wasn't as good.

Allan Border is the best type of Queenslander, one born in New South Wales ;)

liverpool-1.png

Ok... this is a more "interesting" alternate which is probably better aimed at the scrapheap than this audience but after working on it for a few days I feel it deserves an airing. Some poor soul might actually like it :D

nsw_alt2s.PNG

Template is STLFanatic's hockey template from memory. That's the NSW state badge peering out of the bottom right that I've badly recreated. A bit of Atlanta Thrashers feel to the sleeves as well.

liverpool-1.png

Archived