Oilers' chairman takes hardline stance on cap...

Brian in Boston

Cal Nichols, chairman of the Edmonton Oilers, was quoted in yesterday's National Post as saying that he would recommend the National Hockey League suspend his franchise or he would consider relocating the team to a larger market if a new labor deal for the NHL doesn't include a salary cap.

"This isn't sabre-rattling. It's the truth," Nichols told the newspaper.

Wow. Someone's "digging in".

The owners ain't gonna give in guys.

These guys are of the stance "We get our way, or we'll just fold up shop."

And while many thought they were just blowing alot of hot air, i knew this time would be different.

It is.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

The owners ain't gonna give in guys.

These guys are of the stance "We get our way, or we'll just fold up shop."

And while many thought they were just blowing alot of hot air, i knew this time would be different.

It is.

And it's a good idea.

It's not like I think the players are all to blame for this mess. The owners could have showed restraint in signing players before it got to this point.

It's just, in my oppinion, the owners have the best long term solution. I don't think it's worth a temporary compromise either.

The league may not come back stronger, but if it comes back with a cap, it will come back with the potential to be stronger.

And frankly, I don't think the Oilers owner is simply making a threat. I believe he'll make every effort to keep the team running, but he really may be forced to do this.

If there is a move, any idea where they would go? My first guess would be Portland, but if market size is that important, I'd say Houston would be more likely.

i don't see a move, i see a fold.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

The players need to cut their losses and just accpet the fact there will be cap, because if it goes longer and into next year they will lose far worse.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

If there is a move, any idea where they would go? My first guess would be Portland, but if market size is that important, I'd say Houston would be more likely.

The Houston Oilers????

realclearpolitics.com

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire."

- Robert A. Heinlein

If there is a move, any idea where they would go?  My first guess would be Portland, but if market size is that important, I'd say Houston would be more likely.

The Houston Oilers????

Yeah, I heard something about the Oilers thinking about moving to Houston a few Years ago... maybe they could use the derrick?

VmWIn6B.png

It's not like I think the players are all to blame for this mess. The owners could have showed restraint in signing players before it got to this point.

But then wouldn't that be considered collusion?

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Only if they decided as a group what "restraint" meant. If teams individually didn't spend more than they can afford, this wouldn't have happened.

"This isn't sabre-rattling. It's the truth," Nichols told the newspaper.

Hmm, I thought Sabre rattling was what went on in Buffalo...

or it was this-

SabresRattle.jpg

Sabre rattling

Seriously though--as a Flames fan the Oilers demise would hurt the Flames--and the NHL too...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Only if they decided as a group what "restraint" meant. If teams individually didn't spend more than they can afford, this wouldn't have happened.

Yeah but every time the players don't get what they expect they scream collusion, and get the union lawyers.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

Archived