Mlb ditches different uniforms for allstar game

tajmccall

In what will be another PR nightmare, MLB looks like it will be showcasing new allstar uniforms ditching the however year-long tradition of wearing their own cities uniform.

I dont like it, i think something like them may be featured in MVP baseball with American and National in the White Sox away script, with american in the pinstripe faux sleeveless, and the national in the black.

According to this Ken Daley's article the players dont like it either.

MLB goes with Allstar 'Uniforms'

Inside pitch: All-Star uniforms could be real duds

06/11/2003

The game hasn't been declared a tie again yet, but it looks as though MLB's marketing geniuses are determined to sap some more simple charm and tradition from baseball's All-Star Game.

When players take the field July 15 at Chicago's U.S. Cellular Field, they won't be wearing their own distinctive team uniforms.

MLB, sensing it has found another merchandising gold mine, has instead decided players will be outfitted in the American or National league jerseys previously used in workouts and home run contests.

The only distinguishing feature for players will be their various team caps. But this plan already is being greeted with disdain.

"I don't like it," Rangers shortstop Alex Rodriguez said. "It's a terrible idea. I think we should be promoting the cities we're from and the uniforms we wear. That's been a tradition of the game.

"I wouldn't mess with it if I was in charge, but I'm not."

New York Yankees first baseman Jason Giambi agreed, telling the Chicago Tribune, "It's another stupid idea. ... We're not a softball team, so I don't think we should all be dressed in the same uniform."

Messages to MLB headquarters, seeking the person behind the decision for possible explanation, were not returned.

MLB is making a big deal about how this year's winning league in the All-Star Game will be awarded home-field advantage in the World Series. "This time it counts," the dramatic ads proclaim.

And on May 1, when the players union finally agreed to that caveat (on a two-year experimental basis), other changes to the All-Star format were announced. The rosters are being expanded from 30 players to 32, including at least 11 pitchers per league. A separate ballot for managers, coaches and players will be distributed later this month to help select backups and pitchers behind the starters elected by fans. And after the first 31 players have been selected to each team, another marketing gimmick invites fans with Internet access to vote on-line to choose that all-important 32nd player on each roster.

But nowhere have fans ? or players ? been asked to vote on eliminating team uniforms.

"I don't understand why they would want to change that," Anaheim Angels third baseman Troy Glaus told the Los Angeles Times. "It's not really relevant to the game. We're proud of the teams we play for, and we're proud of the uniforms we wear."

Angels teammate Garret Anderson agreed, saying, "It goes back to when you were a kid and you wanted to represent your team. If it just comes down to money, that's weak. We pride ourselves in being a traditional game. It's cool to see all the different uniforms."

Sadly, baseball's decision makers are proving once more they couldn't identify something cool if they opened a freezer.

This is pure, unadulterated, stupidity and is a very sad yet accurate reflection of the degree of disconnect there is between MLB administration and the fans that are the lifeblood of this sport.    Next thing you know, since they're playing in Chicago this year, they'll decide to go with 16 inch softballs instead of regulation baseballs.

I think it's time for MLB to create a Board of Fan Advocates.  Each team would select one fan representative to serve on a panel that would have input on certain policy decisions that MLB makes.  "Meetings" could be held online or through teleconferences.  Eligibility to serve as a fan advocate would require applicants to have been season ticket holders for at least 5 of the past 10 years (there has to be a way to narrow the field and also ensure that the advocate is a frequent, paying customer) and also perhaps submit a 500 word essay on how they would improve baseball.  Oh, and applicants would have to be individual and not corporate season ticket holders.  Hopefully this board would be able to provide the boobs presently running the game with a reality check.

This is pure, unadulterated, stupidity and is a very sad yet accurate reflection of the degree of disconnect there is between MLB administration and the fans that are the lifeblood of this sport. Next thing you know, since they're playing in Chicago this year, they'll decide to go with 16 inch softballs instead of regulation baseballs.

I think it's time for MLB to create a Board of Fan Advocates. Each team would select one fan representative to serve on a panel that would have input on certain policy decisions that MLB makes. "Meetings" could be held online or through teleconferences. Eligibility to serve as a fan advocate would require applicants to have been season ticket holders for at least 5 of the past 10 years (there has to be a way to narrow the field and also ensure that the advocate is a frequent, paying customer) and also perhaps submit a 500 word essay on how they would improve baseball. Oh, and applicants would have to be individual and not corporate season ticket holders. Hopefully this board would be able to provide the boobs presently running the game with a reality check.

everything you say Yhollander i agree with.

I am a relatively young man (23 on sunday) but i agree that barely anyone i know would be considered a true fan of baseball. I think of my friends, im the only one that will sit down and watch the pirates and reds play on wednesday night, even though i am in the twins media market (and a devoted fan to them.)

A columnist from the St. Paul Pioneer Press named Tom Powers recently wrote a great column echoing your sentiments.

TOM POWERS: Baseball for fans, not twitchy kids

Baseball needs to quit trying to appeal to the current generation of twitchy kids.

The sport isn't nearly violent enough for youngsters who have been brought up on hand-held video games, staccato lyrics and five-second video clips. They don't have the attention span for it.

Unless a sympathetic physician will issue some sort of a prescription, kids will spend their time at the ballpark fidgeting and looking for the ice cream vendor.

"Can I have another licorice whip? When is somebody going to hit a home run? I'm sending a text message on my cell phone. Who's playing? When do I get a bobblehead?"

It's time to take the game back.

Baby boomers, many of whom love the game, should be the target audience. Don't worry about creating new fans. That approach isn't working, anyway. Besides, these things go in cycles. Sooner or later the surgeon general will decree that sensory overload and instant gratification are turning America's youth into Jell-O Pudding Pops.

The TV networks will pick up on it and produce countless specials depicting mutant-looking young people drooling all over their Game Boys. Then we'll all drift back to a simpler, but more well-rounded, lifestyle in which heroes replace anti-heroes. And there will be renewed interest in baseball.

In the meantime, tilt the game toward those who love it. Play for those fans who fondly remember Harmon Killebrew, Roberto Clemente and Al Kaline. Give the game back to the traditionalists.

Bud Selig once said: "We have the greatest traditions in the world, but tradition shouldn't be an albatross." Much like the commissioner himself is an albatross.

Selig broke each league into three divisions, added an extra round of playoffs and gave us interleague play. If he stays in office much longer, we will have half-naked cheerleaders dancing on the pitching rubber between innings.

Some things can't be reversed. Others can. We can start by getting rid of the designated hitter. There is enough "action" without a DH.

Watching the Twins play in National League parks last week, it was striking how much better the game flows without a designated hitter. Those endless American League rallies, a conga line of runners on the base paths, rarely materialize without a DH.

In the NL, when a pitcher gets a base hit, he accomplishes something special. But usually he bunts or strikes out ? quickly. It keeps the game moving and big innings to a minimum.

Then baseball should change its marketing approach. Commercials for ballgames feature 500-foot home runs, outfielders bouncing off of fences and infielders crashing into each other. In truth, there are two or three spectacular plays per contest. A baseball game is the result of hundreds of little plays.

It's false advertising. It makes kids think they are going to see "Death Race 2000" at the ballpark. Then, in a low-scoring game, the little darlings are pinging off the concourse walls by the third inning.

Dump interleague play, schedule more day games on Saturdays and Sundays and play more "baseball music" at the parks.

Stop hitters from crowding the plate by making them take off those ridiculous, two-foot elbow protectors. Limit the manager and/or pitching coach to one extra trip to the mound per game. Any other time he comes out, he has to remove the pitcher.

Keep it simple and keep it moving. That makes for clean, crisp contests.

It isn't rocket science, but baseball should require a little bit of thinking on the part of the spectators. This does not play well with kids who have been conditioned merely to react to some sort of rapid, visual stimulus.

They have become far too twitchy for baseball. Give it back to its rightful owners.

I almost thought that was a Sid Hartman whine.  But, wrong paper.

Anyway, I agree with some of what he said.  I still don't get why interleague play is evil, mind you, but the DH certainly is.

As for the All-Star Game jersey debacle... why, oh why?!

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I do think powers is a whiner, but isnt every columnist?

I dont see why they just rid me of both pitchers batting and dhs. 8 hitters is fine, plus puts more emphasis on your lead off man, for he'd be the final out in a perfect game.

I do think powers is a whiner, but isnt every columnist?

I dont see why they just rid me of both pitchers batting and dhs. 8 hitters is fine, plus puts more emphasis on your lead off man, for he'd be the final out in a perfect game.

Because having the pitcher bat makes the game that much more interesting.

If you have a potential rally starting and your pitcher still has a lot left, is it worth it to remove him for the chance at some runs?

Does he have the ability to get a hit?

Do you bunt for a sacrifice so the pitcher will do some good?

With a batting you pitcher you really need a smart and crafty manager. Makes the game better.

Plus the leadoff man would be the 25th out in a perfect game, not the 27th.

Yah i guess thats right about the perfect game.  I could have thought about that before i posted, but whatever.

I just dont see the need having a pitcher looking like a fool up there, its pathetic except for a few.

but its also the worst looking jersey this year!  what next?  will they put them in the shorts to match the era the jerseys are from? :)

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Doesn't matter. This is a great tradition, one of many baseball has, and they are about to screw it up, like they have most of their traditions.

You're right.  Next thing you know, in an effort to speed up the game, they are going to eliminate second base and are going to permit pitchers to tackle baserunners attempting to go from first to what is presently known as third base.  In an effort to appease the players union, rather than eliminating the second baseman position, a fourth outfielder will be permitted and he gets to carry a net with a 2 1/2 foot diameter at the opening which is mounted on a 12 foot pole.

schedule more day games Saturdays and Sundays and play more "baseball music" at the parks.

plus they ougtta have earlier start the LCS and the World Series starting @ or around 4 or 5pm est on a weekday (8 pm est on fri and sat,7pm on sun) so that way the kids wont have to stay up 'til 12 midnight to catch the end of the game on a school night

here is one rule that should be implemented:

each manager is allowed only one blatent intentional walk per game.

as far as the uniforms go, it sucks. One of the things I enjoy the most about the MLB all star game is watching all the different team uniforms on one field.

If they must wear the same "national" and "american" league jerseys, then at least do what the NFL does in the pro bowl and allow each player to wear the cap of his respected team......oops never mind, they are gonna do that I just read it. Still sucks though.

personally, i like the mlb tradition of the player wearing his team's jersey like the rest of you...and i'd like to see it return to the NBA(hoping this year was a one year thing) and arrive in the NHL and NFL too.  i've liked most of the allstar bp jerseys but only as bp jerseys, not as game jerseys.  did they consult anyone with a brain before deciding this was a good idea? probably not ???

btw a known fact, the NL tried an all star uniform reading 'national all stars' in the second allstar game.  they didn't return for the next game :)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived