Expansion game! Expansion game!

appleclock

I'd say MLS could do with two new Canadian teams, one in Toronto (Toronto City FC, perhaps?) and the other in either Vancouver or Montreal.  Vancouver I could see for it's yuppy culture that seems to embrace all things avant-garde (soccer being one such concept in North America at times) and Montreal as a more traditional sports stomping ground.  The French are natural soccer players in Europe, so maybe it would be a bit of a thing for the Quebeckers as well? 

Montreal and Vancouver both seem to do quite well with their USL teams, (at least far better than Edmonton and Calgary fared last year, R.I.P.), although for MLS they'd both need new digs. I hear the Big O is looking for a tenant...

Toronto, with their new outdoor stadium in 2007 might make the best choice for Canada in the MLS.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paul Tagliabue (sp?) mentioned the other day that Toronto was a target for expansion in the next wave (after LA naturally -- or perhaps along with LA) -- expect it in your lifetime says the commish.

:D

Tagliabue also stated that a NFL Regular Season game would likely be played in Toronto by the end of the 2006 season.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Paul Tagliabue (sp?) mentioned the other day that Toronto was a target for expansion in the next wave (after LA naturally -- or perhaps along with LA)  -- expect it in your lifetime says the commish.

Tagliabue also stated that a NFL Regular Season game would likely be played in Toronto by the end of the 2006 season.

Nay!

Fellow canucks, remember that bumper sticker from referendum days that said "My Canada includes Quebec"?

Well I want one that says "My CFL includes Toronto"!

Paul Tagliabue (sp?) mentioned the other day that Toronto was a target for expansion in the next wave (after LA naturally -- or perhaps along with LA)  -- expect it in your lifetime says the commish.

Nay!

Fellow canucks, remember that bumper sticker from referendum days that said "My Canada includes Quebec"?

Why can't Toronto have both?

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Nay!

Because in one swift move, Toronto would become a major league city while Canada would become a minor league country. :P

"Think:  St. Louis.  While Louisville has tradition, St. Louis has money and someone (Kronke) who is still pursuing a team."

"Stan Kroneke already owns an NBA team.

It's called the Denver Nuggets."

Well, you knew what I meant.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

"One week...now there's a quick comeback." :P

I was in the hospital last week because of a mild heart attack. They placed shunts in me. Please take it easy, kids.

"One week...now there's a quick comeback." :P

I was in the hospital last week because of a mild heart attack. They placed shunts in me. Please take it easy, kids.

Jesus...well, there goes another bad move by yours truly.

Be well, sir, and please accept my humblest apologies.

Nay!

Because in one swift move, Toronto would become a major league city while Canada would become a minor league country. :P

:lol:

Seriously though, I really have a hard time imagining the NFL coming to Toronto. Granted, Rogers Centre can expand to the NFL minimum 60 000 seats, there is enormous interest in the NFL, and Rogers does have the money.

But Ralph Wilson would be livid that a team would step in to what is basically his market, the currency is still not at a point, I think, that a NFL team would be viable.

In order for a CFL and NFL team to work in Toronto, the NFL has to give the Toronto Argonauts and Hamilton Tiger-Cats some financial backing should there be a dramatic decrease in revenues for both teams. Or, there also be a cross-promotion between the teams like giving season ticket holders of the NFL team tickets to a CFL game. I would rather see the CFL thrive for long period of time here than the NFL come in and hurt both Toronto and Hamilton.

I saw, I came, I left.

I remember somebody once pointed out that the most successful North American sports league was the only one without a Canadian franchise - the NFL. I don't think that neccesarily means anything, but I also don't think Toronto is anywhere close to getting an NFL team. LA is next in line, and I'm sure the NFL seems to be the most stingy and conservative of all the leagues when it comes to expansion.

Because an NFL franchise would kill the Argonauts. In the case of Toronto, I think an NFL franchise in the city would be quite sucessful, but it would be at the expense of the CFL team. I don't follow the NFL. I don't really like the NFL. And I would lament any franchise coming to TO for a multitude of reasons.

HibsSignature.gif

Thanks go to Eddie010 for the Signature and Avatar. Nice work, mate!

I remember somebody once pointed out that the most successful North American sports league was the only one without a Canadian franchise - the NFL. I don't think that neccesarily means anything, but I also don't think Toronto is anywhere close to getting an NFL team. LA is next in line, and I'm sure the NFL seems to be the most stingy and conservative of all the leagues when it comes to expansion.

The fact that NFL is successful and doesn't have a Canadian team doesn't mean anything. The NFL is successful because of solid marketing and a good relationship between the owners and players (hear that NHL? :mad:). Oh! Let's not forget about the cheerleaders. :D

I saw, I came, I left.

The NHL needs to unexpand,

the NFL could use an LA team for sure, maybe even a team in the largest untapped market ever... Mexico City!... course, tickets would have to be muay cheap.

the NBA needs to come back to a canadian city that isnt frickin' toronto.

and,

i really dont care about major league baseball.

rocketis6.png

"One week...now there's a quick comeback.":P

"I was in the hospital last week because of a mild heart attack. They placed shunts in me. Please take it easy, kids."

"Jesus...well, there goes another bad move by yours truly.

"Be well, sir, and please accept my humblest apologies."

Accepted.

I'll make two choices --- what I want, and what I think would be next.

NFL:

Want: Toronto -- Now that Rogers owns the SkyDome, expect to see some NFL worthy changes, Rogers is veeeeeery interested in getting the NFL in Toronto

Don't bet on it Chris. You know Canada is CFL territory and the NFL won't invade it.

Who is this Murphy and when did he become the law?

NFL

Los Angeles: NFL knows the $$$ they would make by having a team there, so it's only a matter of time.

NBA

Las Vegas: Already a potential future home for the New Orleans Hornets.

MLB

Las Vegas: The Marlins were looking at moving there, but that no longer appears to be the case. If DC doesn't work, the Nats may move there.

NHL

No offense to you Canadians, but the league is deceased.

I know my explanations seemed like why a team would move there, but if a team is looking to move to those cities, they'd also be viable expansion locales.

Who is this Murphy and when did he become the law?

Archived