interesting viewpoint on cardinals modernization

bipolarbear

I think he's right.

Most of the names in the NFL represent something that is a reference (NY Giants, Houston Texans, SF 49ers, etc.) or is fierce sounding (Falcons, Eagles, Jaguars, Raiders)..

Cardinals is neither..it has no ties to the state of Arizona and it's not fierce.

It was an ok name back when they wore leather helmets, but that's been a few years (read "decades") ago.

Why does he not attack the Thrashers or the Stl. Cardinals?

Simple, really: The NHL is dead and Baseball=Tradition.

Cardinals do have ties to Arizona, they are located in the North and Central part of Arizona. Alot of people do not know that

So do a lot of states..what's your point?

And:

"Texans - Someone from texas

Browns - Old nickname used in the Cleveland area for bulldogs

Cubs - Freakin baby bears

Dolphins - Fear the teal and orange!

Penguins - "They're gonna poke ya!"

Gamecocks - Fancy way of saying chickens!

Celtics - a 1 foot tall skinny bald leprachaun in a fighting stance

Ravens - "Crows" just didn't sound right

Saints - wow

Blues - Surprised their mascot isn't a characature of B.B. King

Ducks - quack quack"

Texans - Historical reference to Dallas Texans, now a certain Kansas City football team.

Browns - If I am not mistaken, Paul B. Brown, a great football coach.

Cubs - Baseball, tradition, no one cares.

Dolphins - Hmm..Atlantic Ocean..I wonder what we could name them after?

Penguins - Don't exist anymore!

Gamecocks - Now you're just trying too hard...College team, college is tradition.

Celtics - Basketball! Different sport/league..again.

Ravens - E. Allen Poe, from Baltimore, wrote a story called "The Raven"..ironic, yes?

Saints - I agree, they also need to change.

Blues - Don't exist anymore!

Ducks - Guess what? Either college or DON'T EXIST ANYMORE!

I think I rest my case.

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

LilG... as cyclopsis said, yes, Arizona has the Northern Cardinal -- but so does just about every other state. You don't exactly think of Arizona immediately upon thinking about where that particular bird is from. It's not even Arizona's state bird.

and in response to DevilRay

Texans - Their name is a reference that's atleast unique to the area. Much unlike Cardinals and Arizona.

Browns - Named after Paul Brown, founder of the team (correct?), so that name has historical signifigance as to how the team came to be.

Cubs, Penguins, Celtics, Blues, Ducks - Teams that don't play sports that are based on physical contact and beating the crap out of your opponent. In fact, if you read the article, the guy thinks Cardinals is a bad team name because of the sport they play.

Dolphins - One of the smartest animals (football takes intelligence), and a reference far more unique to Florida than Cardinals are to Arizona.

Ravens - Ravens (and crows, for that matter) are the most intelligent birds. They also have had a reputation of eating corpses, I believe. Throw in their association with death, and this isn't exactly a weak bird to name a team after. Plus the David Allen Poe relation, as Cyclopsis Joe said.

Saints - I don't like this name.

IUe6Hvh.png

Is Pittsburgh renowned for it's Pirates? :D

Come on though, seriously. Team names are just that, names. They give a aural/visual description of a concept somewhat related to the organisation. Who cares if Arizona isn't some hotbed of garden bird ornithology? Blue Jays aren't readily associated with Toronto either. Nor is Vancouver the only place you find Canucks.

It's a bird.

It's a team name.

Why can't they be one and the same?

HibsSignature.gif

Thanks go to Eddie010 for the Signature and Avatar. Nice work, mate!

Archived