Counterfeit Scavenger Hunt

CC97

I recently bought one of these, from this seller:

I was somewhat concerned about the guy's feedback, but was willing to give it a shot. In retrospect, "same as the players wear without the fight strap" should have been a tip-off. (The price did not necessarily surprise me - I've seen no-longer-current jerseys go very cheaply at retail stores.)

Once the excitement wore off, I started looking over the jersey. Neck label looks all right. Hey ... wait a sec, there's no puck logo on the back. Concern set in.

I wasn't expecting something that's authentic in the sense that it's identical to the ones that the players wear. I am concerned about it being officially licensed.

To make a long story short, nhluniforms.com says that Koho made third jerseys in 2003-04 (when these were introduced). The item pictured in the listing is a Koho jersey, but the one I got's a CCM. It has what appears to be a legit NHL sales tag, but ... is there any reason I should think that this is actually properly licensed, rather than calmly explaining to the seller that I would like to return it for a refund, as it doesn't match the image?

If it helps to answer this question definitively, this was the third jersey through 2006-2007. I haven't been able to figure out who would have been making the licensed jerseys at that time.

Some pictures of the tags and labels on the item I received:

img8248fn9.th.jpg(larger version) img8250nf8.th.jpg(larger version) img8251lx8.th.jpg(larger version)

The tag isn't quite as grey as the first picture makes it look - it was taken under less than ideal lighting conditions. In terms of outer appearance the jersey very closely matches the listing, except for being CCM rather than Koho, so I didn't bother to take pictures of the patches or the whole thing.

Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: I did a little more digging after posting this. Although this guide is talking about Penguins jerseys, it suggests that CCM in later years, and that the puck logo began to be omitted. So, I'm leaning toward this being a licensed product.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

petty- datsyuk didnt have an "A" for the winter classic as draper and zetterberg wore it. they rotate it between those 3. i do have unfortunately have 2 one hossa and one zetterberg. they are both different from each other.. and im glad to say i wont be buying anymore from that guy as ive seenother jerseys hes pushed and noticed they are counterfeit. and by chance what do the numbers look like.. my hank has a red and silver trim around it, while the hossa is just red. i caught this difference in my counterfeits when i watched a replay of the winter classic on hulu.com.. im gonna stick to buying my wings jerseys and etc from businesses that i trust.

• 1 month later...
I recently bought one of these, from this seller:

I was somewhat concerned about the guy's feedback, but was willing to give it a shot. In retrospect, "same as the players wear without the fight strap" should have been a tip-off. (The price did not necessarily surprise me - I've seen no-longer-current jerseys go very cheaply at retail stores.)

Once the excitement wore off, I started looking over the jersey. Neck label looks all right. Hey ... wait a sec, there's no puck logo on the back. Concern set in.

I wasn't expecting something that's authentic in the sense that it's identical to the ones that the players wear. I am concerned about it being officially licensed.

To make a long story short, nhluniforms.com says that Koho made third jerseys in 2003-04 (when these were introduced). The item pictured in the listing is a Koho jersey, but the one I got's a CCM. It has what appears to be a legit NHL sales tag, but ... is there any reason I should think that this is actually properly licensed, rather than calmly explaining to the seller that I would like to return it for a refund, as it doesn't match the image?

If it helps to answer this question definitively, this was the third jersey through 2006-2007. I haven't been able to figure out who would have been making the licensed jerseys at that time.

Some pictures of the tags and labels on the item I received:

img8248fn9.th.jpg(larger version) img8250nf8.th.jpg(larger version) img8251lx8.th.jpg(larger version)

The tag isn't quite as grey as the first picture makes it look - it was taken under less than ideal lighting conditions. In terms of outer appearance the jersey very closely matches the listing, except for being CCM rather than Koho, so I didn't bother to take pictures of the patches or the whole thing.

Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: I did a little more digging after posting this. Although this guide is talking about Penguins jerseys, it suggests that CCM in later years, and that the puck logo began to be omitted. So, I'm leaning toward this being a licensed product.

I've bought about 5 jerseys from that seller. I have no complaints.

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

• 2 weeks later...

I think we have a new leader in the clubhouse.

Check out this craptastic piece o' garbage.

http://i.ebayimg.com/23/!BPfU)qwBWk~...7C32fZg~~_1.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Pittsburgh-Penguins-Eve...emZ380114078969

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I notice whenever I search on eBay for "hockey jersey XXL", the authentic (real) jerseys are displayed, while "hockey jersey 2xl" shows the Chinese/Phillipines/Singapore forgeries. A lot of jerseys on eBay are easy to tell if they're authentic or counterfeit, but you have to be careful who you buy from.

One of my favorite players, Sergei GNOCHAR! :blink:

Bloodhound.gif

felix_thinking_zps5e4863e9.gif?t=1380931

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-AUTHENTIC-Pi...%3A2%7C294%3A50

Quotes from this ad "The REAL thing guarant, no BS, no rip offs,no kidding!" "Tired of getting ripped off on so called "authentic" jerseys? No fear here!"

Really? When did the Pens have Vegas gold on their throwbacks? When was Staal the C at the WC?

I'm going to say that (maybe cause I'm a Pens fan and look more at their jerseys) the WC powder blues are one of the most ripped off jerseys out there for sale.

KISSwall09.jpg

• 1 month later...

Looks green to me.

Now THIS is the definition of counterfeit.

But the coupons you get if you pay fast!!!

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

• 4 weeks later...

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

Archived