Superbowl unis

Jumpman085

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think that it would look pretty tight if the eagles wore their black unis and the pats wore their light grey ones.

:puke:

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

No. Alts can only be worn in pre-scheduled games during the regular season. Preseason and Postseason games must use regular uniforms.

How did San Fran get around this when they wore throwbacks in their last Superbowl appearance 10 years ago against the Chargers?

No. Alts can only be worn in pre-scheduled games during the regular season. Preseason and Postseason games must use regular uniforms.

How did San Fran get around this when they wore throwbacks in their last Superbowl appearance 10 years ago against the Chargers?

They wore them all year I believe and that was 75 year aniversary year. Home teams still have first choice of uniforms I believe though. Pantone should know.

donm.gif

Gordon-Tech-Rams.png

Can you imagine, the Pats in Silver & the Eagles in Black Jerseys & Green Pants.

:wacko: Everybody will be adjusting their TVs thinking the tint or hue is out of wack. :wacko:

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Are teams allowed to wear alternate unis for the superbowl? I think that it would look pretty tight if the eagles wore their black unis and the pats wore their light grey ones.

I'd actually love to see the black Eagles, but if the Patriots came out in the gray... O Lord

Found this on the Broncos site-

------------

Orange Sunday: Broncos to Wear Alternate Jersey for Raiders Game

By Andrew Mason

DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Orange uniforms are back -- at least for one night.

The Broncos will don their orange third jerseys for the team's Sunday night home game against the Oakland Raiders on Nov. 28. That will mark the first appearance of the alternate uniforms since Nov. 24, 2002, when the Broncos donned them for another Sunday night game, against the Indianapolis Colts.

Brandishing the orange for one night bears the stamp of approval from President/CEO Pat Bowlen.

"I like doing that," he said in April 2003. "I particularly like playing in the orange jerseys for one game a year, especially at home."

Three months ago, Bowlen reiterated his desire to see the Broncos annually don orange.

"If given the opportunity, we'll do it again," Bowlen said in early March.

Third jerseys and alternate uniforms have become quite popular around the league in recent years. The Broncos are one of two AFC West teams with a third jersey; the San Diego Chargers annually dust off their vintage powder-blue uniforms for one game a season.

The Atlanta Falcons, Carolina Panthers, Cleveland Browns, Houston Texans, Jacksonville Jaguars, Miami Dolphins, New England Patriots, New Orleans Saints, Philadelphia Eagles and Tennessee Titans all wore third jerseys in the past two seasons. Some, like the Patriots and Titans, were successful on the field in their third uniforms. For others like the Panthers and Saints, the results were mixed.

The Cincinnati Bengals and Baltimore Ravens will add third jerseys this season, with the Ravens announcing their change just last week -- to wear black jerseys as part of a head-to-toe black ensemble.

The Broncos aren't even the only team to use orange for their alternate jersey; the Dolphins broke out new orange shirts for their win over the Washington Redskins last season, and the Bengals will unveil an orange jersey this year.

"I think it's something for the fans more than anything," Bowlen said when the uniforms were first unveiled in 2002. "A lot of people look at it as a marketing ploy, but I just think it gives the fans a new look and makes it a little more exciting."

The uniforms didn't bring the Broncos a magic touch in 2002. Playing with then-backup quarterback Steve Beuerlein at the controls, the Broncos fell 23-20 to the Colts on a snowy, frigid evening at INVESCO Field at Mile High. The game is perhaps most remembered as the first in which a team kicked field goals of 50 yards or longer to both force overtime and win in the extra session. Indianapolis' Mike Vanderjagt hit those kicks, dropping the Broncos to 7-4.

Last year, the Broncos also deviated from their normal blue-white and white-white uniforms to wear blue jerseys with blue pants for the Monday Night Football games against the Raiders and Patriots. The Broncos went 1-1 in those games, which marked the first time the team wore blue pants since the 1997 preseason.

Prior to 2002, the Broncos last wore orange jerseys in 2001, when they donned throwback uniforms from 1986 for a Thanksgiving Day win over the Dallas Cowboys. Denver wore orange for almost every home game from 1962-96. The team occasionally wore white at home early in the Dan Reeves era.

Archived