Superbowl unis

Jumpman085

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
World Championships are given to the NFL Champion from 1920-1965

World Championships are given to the winner of the Super Bowl from 1966-present

That's how i always broke it down. Pro Football didn't begin with Super Bowl I.

Except in years when it could be argued that another league's titlist was better (see AAFC, Cleveland Browns, 1946-1949).

I've always thought the term 'World Champion' is a little pretentious and, these days, antiquated. I don't think you'll hear the phrase used in any official context this week. It's simply the 'NFL championship' now, since the game is played elsewhere.

It's more pretentious in baseball and basketball.

Can the MLB champion be considered World Champion when there is a league in Japan?

Can the NBA champion be considered World Champion when there are leagues in Europe and Asia? Granted, NBA rules differ slghitly from international rules.

Okay, there's NFL Europe and the CFL. NFL Europe's a developmental league for the NFL, and CFL rules are different from NFL rules.

If any American sports league champion could lay claim to being the world's best at its sport, it'd be the NFL.

I bet I know why the term World Champions began back in the day. Its kinda a Miss Universe thing. A pro team couldn't call themselves "National Champions" that was reserved for college sports. the next best thing is World Champions. Its probably not having a "USA is better than you attitude" its just that was the next logical step for the first championships way back when.

today, that has continued. I still feel that the NFL can call its champions world champions just as Aussie Rules teams could call themselves World Champions if htey want. Its just a title, and nobody else on earth (except canada who plays by a different set of rules) has competative american or austrailian football.

Baseball, iffy. Japanese teams are good, but I'm not sure if the champions of Japanese baseball could beat the world series champions in 7 games.

Basketball, no way. The NBA is still tops, but basketball is nearly second to soccer in worldwide popularity. Its played everywhere.

Archived