Sign in to follow this  
randyc

NHL Season GONE

i was watching the score and the league is going to make an announcement either today or tomorrow that the season is officially cancelled.

this isn't a big surprise to me but this really sucks!

Err...I was watching the Score, too (SmackDown, right?)

And it said an anonymous NHL GM EXPECTS Bettman to cancel the season in 48 hours.

It ain't over till it's over, boys.

Man, I wish I did, too.

Then again, here I am in my Leafs jersey, hoping and praying that those two schmucks check the ego and greed at the door (unlikely) and make even a six-month deal just so we have a season.

Because if there's gonna be a blank spot on the Stanley Cup... :cursing:

*Shameless Self Plug* There is still time to get your pic in an NHL jersey to me for the poster that is likely going the NHL and NHLPA offices along with one at HP Pavilion at San Jose.

Please email pics in your jersey to Puckguy14@aol.com

Sad to see the NHL in the current state that it's in, but I find myself becoming increasing uninterested in what the league and players association are doing at the moment.

If it were up to me, I'd be scraping the league and starting from the ground up. For inspiration, I'd be looking at the NFL, NBA, and CFL to see how these groups handle their finances and labour relations. First off, a salary cap is a must for any new league, in my opinion. I'm not one to punish teams for making money and wanting to spend top dollar for talent, but the current operating costs for most high-market teams are severals times those of the smaller clubs. With no real economic parity, smaller teams have no options but to take the cheap option when it comes to attracting players. I know that their are exceptions to that rule, but by and large, the rich teams (Toronto, Rangers, Detroit, etc.) stay richer while the less wealthy ones generally stay at their own financial levels.

Sucks for the moment, but I do beleive hockey will be better by the end of this whole situation.

At least I hope. :blink:

Well, with this Arena Deal, it seems Steinbrenner's not going to give up on the Devils, which i am happy to see.

Well, Steinbrenner isn't involved with the Devils anymore. YankeeNets dissolved lat year, Ratner bought the Nets and Jeff Vanderbeek who was a minority owner stepped up to become majority owner. Apparently he has been a season ticket holder for years and is totally committed to the team. He got the newark deal done and I think the Devils are joining up with the Mets on the new network.

Today has been when this thing hit me hard. I never really get into the NHL season untill this time, (after the Super Bowl). But this bothers me but the NHL gave up 2 huge chances to become big. The best chance was after the 94 playoffs, Hockey was proclaimed the nest big thing and Sports Illustrated said it was better then Basketball. What did they do to capitalize on this momentum, they had a lock out. The NHL never recoved from that, which is why this in not good for the long run.

The second came when the NBA got locked out. They had the winter headlines all to themself but they do anything. The NBA capitalized on this and the 95 lockout why couldn't the nhl capitlize on the NBA lockout?

Exactly JKR. The NHL squandered the chance to really hit it big in 1995. With the then huge deal with Fox, all 26 teams were doing fine. As much as we dispise that glowing puck, I'll take it if it meant a stronger TV deal and a healthier game.

well they had 9 hours of discusions today, maybe a little ray of hope but i still dont know.

9 discussion is just one day I mean they only met like 7 times as in days total if they are meeting and take a coffee break then come back its just 1 day, and thats what angers me the most they only had like 7 days of these meetings.

I agree Tank. 7 days of meetings in 5 months time is unacceptable. The NHL is starting to look like a joke and that's the last thing it needs.

For the record, I've never seen Bob McKenzie so upset! See www.tsn.ca and click on the A/V button and watch the panel talk from today.

With each passing minute, it becomes more likely that I can post this with pride:

prestrophy.gif

:D

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

By the way, on ESPN, there was a poll asking if you cared that the NHL season might be cancelled.

74% said no. <_<

There must've been some last-minute "yes" votes; it was 81% when I cast my no vote.

While I enjoy the sport of hockey as much as anyone, I honestly don't care if I see NHL hockey ever again. I could just as easily catch an AHL, ECHL, or other 'minor' league game and be just as entertained. Sure the quality of play would be slightly less, but to be able to afford to go to 3-4 games a year, I could live with that kind of trade-off.

With each passing minute, it becomes more likely that I can post this with pride:

prestrophy.gif

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

:lol: I think you can make one up for each team.

There must've been some last-minute "yes" votes; it was 81% when I cast my no vote.

While I enjoy the sport of hockey as much as anyone, I honestly don't care if I see NHL hockey ever again. I could just as easily catch an AHL, ECHL, or other 'minor' league game and be just as entertained. Sure the quality of play would be slightly less, but to be able to afford to go to 3-4 games a year, I could live with that kind of trade-off.

We're probably on the same boat here. What nitro pointed put was what I mentioned yesterday about people, like bs, not caring. I have lost interest in NHL hockey over the last few years, and at the same time I grown to love watching the OHL and NLL lacrosse. If the NHL season is lost, I expect more people at Blue Jays games this spring :) Wait, did I just sound like Creamer there? :D

Here's the entire ESPN survey that was mentioned:

State-by-state breakdown

Michigan was the closest to voting yes, with 42% voting that they cared...

I think those numbers are a bit off. At this stage and length of this whole situation, apathy has set in with most fans.

I bet those numbers would be a lot different earlier in the season. I also think that in some areas of the country, a team performing quite well in other sports can distract fans from the fact there's no NHL hockey.

Places like Pennsylvania, Southern New England, and maybe Phoenix are "distracted" by their home teams playing quite well right now, so more of the attention is diverted to these good teams, rather than the teams not playing.

In Boston especially, the numbers would be much different. Since the Patriots encompass all of New England, it's not like there's a set city that claims them as their own. They're lumped in with Boston, but technically they're not a Boston team. My point is that I think a larger part of Boston is upset that there is no hockey, but I think that percentage would go down if the Patriots were a Boston-local team and not representing the entire region.

By the way, on ESPN, there was a poll asking if you cared that the NHL season might be cancelled.

74% said no. <_<

I'd like to see what respondants would say on a similar sports network (is there one?) in Canada. I bet it would be over 50%, but not much over.

In the US, hockey is a fringe sport, plain and simple. We talk about the "4 major sports", but hockey really does not belong there. It is put there because of a long history and well-known championship trophy. Personally, I am suprised that 26% on ESPN said "yes". I am guessing the hard core fans voted until their fingers fell off.

As hard as the players work, the market on this fringe sport (that just signed a TV contract fo $0) does not allow them to make in the neigbhorhood of athletes in teh major sports.

Anyway, I hope it comes back in as close to a form as it is now. I don't want a new league. If they lose the team identities/histories and the stanley cup--it will be a bran new sport that most fans find hard to watch on TV. They need the original 6, the cup, teams with Gretzky's number retired, etc.

Hockey will never be the fifth big sport in america (baseball, football, hoops and golf). It likley will never even pass Arena Football, poker or the X Games. But that does not mean it cannot come back and be great for those of us who love it. They need to recognize their disadvantage in the market and have payrolls that reflect it.

There are a lot of reasons hockey is on the fringe, in my opinion (low scoring, not great TV sport, few Americans play it growing up, ect.) and most of those cannot change. But the number one reason, in my opinion is line changes. Chaning on the fly means that the common fan does not know who is on the ice at any given time. While Gretzky played a third of the time, Jordan played 90% of the time. This cannot change, and will always hurt the sport among casual fans.

Here's to hoping they don't enlarge the goals.

Here's one you can make:

LOS ANGELES KINGS: NOT the league-leader in man-games lost in 2004-05!