City Dynasty

November

I believe though that San Fransisco, Oakland, and San Jose are in the same MSA (Metropolitan Statistical Area) as designated by the US Census, and i know for sure it is the same TV Market. So i dont think its a huge stretch to consider them the same "metro area". Certainly you couldnt claim it to be part of san fransisco per se, but it is certainly in the "bay area".

As for Auburn Hills and Foxboro, i mean c'mon thats just splitting hairs.

San Jose is 45 miles away and has over 850,000 people. Foxborough and Auburn Hills, while almost the same distance, combined don't even have 10% of that.

The size and population of San Jose doesnt change my assertion that they are the same TV market (as decided by neilson). I didnt just pull that out of thin air.

as for Foxboro and Auburn Hills, those teams are clearly meant to draw fans from the boston metro area and the detriot metro area respectivly, saying those teams dont count would be rediculous.

I'm not telling you why Foxborough and Auburn Hills shouldn't count. I'm telling you why San Jose shouldn't. Obviously the Pats and Pistons need to draw from the neighboring cities. But San Jose, with a city population of about Seattle, doesn't need to. Are you telling me that without SF/Oak nearby, the Sharks still wouldn't sell out the HP Pavilion? In fact, if you go by the US Census data, which means a lot more to me than tv markets, San Jose city is bigger than San Francisco city and 2.5 times as big as Oakland city.

dude, relax. he said he was going with MEDIA MARKETS. thats what counts in sports anyway. look it up on neilsen's website if you dont believe me. i'm not taking a position either way, i'm just saying, its reasonable to count san jose as part of the bay area, because they are the same market according to the media business.

Azzuri.gif

dude, relax. he said he was going with MEDIA MARKETS. thats what counts in sports anyway. look it up on neilsen's website if you dont believe me. i'm not taking a position either way, i'm just saying, its reasonable to count san jose as part of the bay area, because they are the same market according to the media business.

*looks around* I'm calm. Trust me, my lifelong goal is not to convince you of this.

San Jose is part of the bay area. That's not the point. The topic of this thread was city dynasties.

(*thanks*)

I don't think any city has had three titles at the same time but there are multiple cases of two at a given time. Pittsburgh (NFL/MLB) in '79-80 and LA (NBA/MLB)in '88, NY in (MLB/NFL)'86-'87, Oakland (MLB/NBA) '74/75, Baltimore ('70-'71) I don't know if the Lakers and Angels of 2002 count. ^_^

You forgot Falcons (05-06 season) and Braves (06 season)

the falcons and braves are legit contenders for a championship,

the thrashers and hawks aren't. though it would be cool for the falcons, braves, thrashers and hawks to win championships in the same year. ^_^

Magus.png

General Magus Zeal

Leader of the Mystics of Medina.

The forums most hated member ever.

Well if minor leagues counted, San Diego HOSTED 3 FINALS in 1998. In January they hosted Super Bowl XXXII. In April they hosted the Double-A WCHL Taylor Cup Finals (which the Gulls won for the third consecutive time) and later in October the Padres hosted the New York Yankees and were gracious enough to just get it out of the way in 4 games. If we had a basketball team I'm sure they'd have been there too.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

Well, The New York Media market came close in 2000. The Mets and Yankees were both in the World Series, the Giants were in the Super Bowl XXV (2000 season), and the Devils won the Cup. Although at that time both the Knicks and Nets sucked.

I don't know if any city (and by city I mean the market and surrounding suburbs) has done the "Grand Slam". However with 9 teams in the 4 major sports New York would probably be the first to do it. They have come close a few times.

Archived