RULES - GD Bootcamp - The rules and Guidelines

paynomind

Sgt. Francis: MAGGOTS! Today is the first day of Graphic Design Bootcamp! We are going to teach you the finer details of the Graphic Design World. This Bootcamp is meant as a lesson, a lesson I don't know if you maggots can learn. Do you understand me??

Group: SIR YES SIR!

Sgt. Francis: While you are in our world, you will obey our rules. We are your mother, your father, and your enemy.

The rules:

All entries MUST be on the templates provided.

Entries may not have your real name or screen name on them.

Craftsmanship is important in the real world; hence it will be important here.

Entries will be sent in as JPG files at the provided resolution for each event.

Do not post your designs anywhere.

No posting ideas on this or any board to the general public. If an entrant has been found to do this, you will be disqualified from that round.

Deadlines will be HARD deadlines as they are in the real world. If you can't get it in on time, you will have to sit out that round.

All work MUST be your own. Absolutely no work is to be used that was not designed by you. You may not enlist help other than comments. You must be the only one who touched your entry. Acceptable materials you MAY use are photography, fonts, and logos that are included in the mission details. Anyone found to be using outside work will be warned the first time and excluded from that mission, the second time they will be kicked out of Bootcamp.

Do you have any problems with these rules?

Group: SIR NO SIR!

Sgt. Francis: I can't HEAR you!

Group: SIR NO SIR!

Sgt. Francis: By the end of this hell, you will have 12 portfolio quality pieces. Pieces you can show to your future employers. Pieces you can show mommy and daddy because they are so proud of you. They will not all be sports, because not many of you maggots will have sports design jobs. Cleanliness is next to godliness, so you ladies will be judged on craftsmanship as well as concept. You will be provided with all the media you need or be informed of what you need to find. Is this understood!?

Sgt. Cummings: Each of your missions will have a deadline. This deadline is based on the "Budget" of the client. If it's a tight budget, the deadline is quicker. If it's a bigger budget, you will have a larger time to work on it. Why? Because real life design cost is based on hours. If you work for 20 hours on it, but the client only is paying $200, you have wasted your time.

The shortest deadline is 7 days, and the longest is 14 days. By the end of the deadline, all work is to have been submated to the email address that is given. Within 24 hours you will receive your next mission. During this period, for 4 days the Gunnery Sergeants will discuss the entries and select three successful pieces. These pieces will receive crit both positive and negative. These three winners will be promoted one rank, and then be put to a public vote for 4 more days to see who will win the metal for that round. Understood?

Sgt. Cummings: The Gunnery Sergeants are myself and Sergeant Francis.

We will have other design Officers help judge. This need not concern you. You are not a design General. Also at least 2 more that will alternate for each mission. We are permitted to participate, and once the voting is final, reveal our pieces. But we will not earn rank nor medals. Once the public voting is final, all pieces will be uploaded to the GD Bootcamp webpage, where you can view all the submissions. At this time the identity of the maggot responsible for each worthless piece will be

revealed. Understood?

Sgt. Cummings: There are 12 missions in Bootcamp. Each mission will have you deal with a different aspect of Graphic Design and deal with different kinds of clients. These missions will test you, but they will only make you stronger, more skilled, and better horned at Graphic Design. Each mission will be emailed to the designated address in this format:

YOURSCREENNAME_MISSIONNAME.jpg

The entries will be sent at 800x600 pixels unless otherwise noted.

They will be mailed to gdbootcamp@gmail.com

Sgt. Cummings: Each mission will teach you. You are to grow as a designer. Most of these things you will use later in life. Some of them you won't. Some of these lessons you may already know.

You are all privates, or Maggots now. Each mission completed you will receive a ribbon. Each mission will have a different colored ribbon.

If you are selected in the top 3 of an event, you're ranking will go up. The winner of each event will receive a metal.

We will provide signatures for all contestants. They will be updated each round with your ribbon, ranking, and metals earned. So all you have to do is put the address we tell you in your sig and it will automatically update.

Here are the rankings:

1) Private

2) Private First Class

3) Corporal

4) Sergeant

5) First Sergeant

6) 2nd Lieutenant

7) 1st Lieutenant

8) Captain

9) Major

10) Lieutenant Colonel

11) Colonel

12) General

Re-convene here at 2000 hours eastern time (That's 8 pm for civilians) for further instructions and your first mission.

Welcome to Hell Maggots!!

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

how can you judge based on craftsmanship if you are only receiving a jpg of the file.

wouldn't you want the illustrator, indesign, quark, etc. file so you can really see the craftsmanship that went into making the pieces?

i know that when i get a logo in illustrator, i study how the curves and such were made, therefore helping me with my craft.

just a suggestion, take it as you will.

A good point indeed.

More of what we ment was, it needs to be sharp, presentable. Make sure you would show it to a client.

Could you imagine sorting through that many illustrator files?? No thanks friend. Clear, JPGs is what we mean by craftsmenship, sorry for not making it clearer.

NOW! Be back tonight for your first mission pukes!

I've never used Illustrator so I don't know how .jpgs come out, probably pretty well. If any of you use MSPaint to do the logos, I suggest using Irfanview to transfer the .bmp file into a .jpg file.

I saw, I came, I left.

TO: Sgts. Francis and Masters

RE: Graphic Design Bootcamp Ranks

Gentleman,

In as much as your newly unveiled CCSLB challenge pays homage to United States Marine Corps bootcamp training and, further, awards an elevation in rank to three participants at the successful completion of each of twelve rounds, I thought I would take this opportunity to make a suggestion with regard to the nomenclature used to distinguish each of these aforementioned ranks.

First and foremost, your current rank heirarchy is innacurate. It lists Second Lieutenant as being a promotion from First Lieutenant. In point of fact, the breakdown of USMC, Army and/or Air Force Rank - which I have concluded you are basing your own rank system on - has an officer initially achieving the rank of Second Lieutenant, then being promoted to First Lieutenant. The breakdown of rank within the USMC is as follows (descending order):

Commisioned Officers

General

Lieutenant General

Major General

Brigadier General

Colonel

Lieutenant Colonel

Major

Captain

First Lieutenant

Second Lieutenant

Warrant Officers

Chief Warrant Officer 5

Chief Warrant Officer 4

Chief Warrant Officer 3

Chief Warrant Officer 2

Chief Warrant Officer 1

Enlisted Personnel

Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps

Master Gunnery Sergeant

First Sergeant

Master sergeant

Gunnery Sergeant

Staff Sergeant

Sergeant

Corporal

Lance Corporal

Private 1st Class

Private

Further, given that the Graphic Design Bootcamp only requires twelve rank designations out of the twenty-six employed by the USMC, allow me to suggest splitting your rank heirarchy as follows (descending order):

General

Colonel

Major

Captain

First Lieutenant

Second Lieutenant

First Sergeant

Master Sergeant

Sergeant

Corporal

Private 1st Class

Private

This system splits the twelve attainable ranks between six in the "enlisted" category and six in the "officers" category. Further, within the "enlisted" category ranks are split 3/3 between sergeant and non-sergeant ranks.

Best of luck with your efforts to mold the designers of tomorrow, today. This community owes you a debt of gratitude that it will never be able to repay.

Godspeed, Gentlemen.

I appreciate your response to our ranking system. The rankings were a hybrid of all military branches, not just the marine core. Hense the innacuracys. I was waiting for someone to mention. I'll rexamine tonight, but more than likely, because of laziness, it will stay.

It appears Sgt. Francis also forgot to show you pukes the flag you'll be marching under:

gdbclogo.jpg

If we are producing Illustrator files (without gradients), for example, wouldn't they show up better as gifs than jpegs?

JPGs will work fine. If you use save for web, I've never had any troubles. Only if I use 100% black. Use the combo C 40% M 30% Y 20% K 100% and that will solve any "greying" issues.

Here's where I make a case for PNG output, but you knew that was coming.

Shut your filthy pie-hole, Private PeeEnGee.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Since I am a design idiot, I probably should have joined this.

But that's a whole different issue altogether.

Serious question though: How come in the "Born to design" sigs/banners, the month of "February" is spelled as "Feburary) instead?

Is this a running joke I missed (which wouldn't be a first)?

Like many things, is it a word that Canada spells differently?

Good luck with this. Great idea and I'm sure everyone involved will thank you for the bootcamp later.

The peanut gallery will hush up now.

Since I am a design idiot, I probably should have joined this.

But that's a whole different issue altogether.

Serious question though: How come in the "Born to design" sigs/banners, the month of "February" is spelled as "Feburary) instead?

Is this a running joke I missed (which wouldn't be a first)?

Like many things, is it a word that Canada spells differently?

Good luck with this. Great idea and I'm sure everyone involved will thank you for the bootcamp later.

The peanut gallery will hush up now.

wow...its cause I can't spell. Its gone soon anyway.

wow.

somehow I have a college degree...

wow...its cause I can't spell. Its gone soon anyway.

wow.

...and that scares me... :shocked:

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

wow...its cause I can't spell.  Its gone soon anyway.

wow.

...and that scares me... :shocked:

Well they don't teach spelling in art classes.

It was a typo, its gone soon.

Maggots! :)

• 2 months later...

Archived