Richmond Bandits (AIFL) release logo

newsenterprise

there was the bulldog he did too that was better than this imo

but here are the key words, AAO.

Its creating something the owner has invisioned in his head. ... wasnt what he was looking for with a football team logo.

when creating something for a client, you do what the client wants, not what you think is best. that's the world of a designer.

You have no idea how many things I've done in the short time as a "professional" that I absolutely hate because the client wanted it. That, or things I hate because I felt my idea was better and they either went with another designer's logo or another firms logo.

Its just the ways of the business. You've got to realize that most of the time, well, rarely are you designing for a creative person.

You can make logos all day on your own, but unless you sell them to someone, you'll be eating canned ravioli and toast you're whole life. In this field, you've got to "toughen" up and be at the will of your customer. They are paying for it, so they should be happy about it.

I can see what the owner was going for and I must say it's intriguing. You almost never see two creatures at once in a logo, and certainly not people riding things/piloting things.

I like the "vision" he had.

I think the execution is a little lacking.

Issues I have with it are as follows. Most are forgiveable taste issues. Some aren't:

- The horse is VERY denver broncos. Dicey

- It's treacherous to play with perspective in the imagery and then flatten in and ground the image in 2-D with the text.

- The colors are straight "out of the can" red and blue. Successful scheme for many teams, but its too much in this case.

- The strange combination of "is he a bandit" or a football player or "both"

- Where are his digits? How does stumpy hold that ball?

- Is this a new fangled, comic-style piece using flowing abstracted shapes and tone, or an old school pen-and-ink style piece focusing on line? Both. And it takes a deft hand to pull that off.

- getting back to the use of color. The viewer doesn't know whether black is shadow or line. In some cases ( on the jersey sleeve and glove) a darker red/blue is employed as shadow. In other spots ( the horses ear,eye,neck, and the bandit's hat) the black is the shadow. Now, you can do both...there is no rule...but it creates a push/pull visually that is confusing. Especially in the bandits neck area where I can only assume the black is intended as shadow. Only, it ends up looking like he has a HUGE collar striping or a turtle neck or something.

A lot of my work stems from similar conceptual beginnings. On the Stampede project, I "saw" the image in my head and needed to realize it digitally. I can appreciate what the owner was imagining. I'm just saying it took me three weeks, twenty-one versions, tons of feedback and lots of banging my head on the desk to tackle the conceptual problems with oncoming buffalo. I think this concept would've benefitted from similar reworking.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

We launched the Canton Legends site today. Feel free to take a peek and give your opinions of the design.

Terrific looking website. Great jorb. Plus, look here. Unlike the Bandits, the Legends logo uses tone as line and shadow perfectly. Because it only gives you two colors to worry about. All dark is line and shadow, all light is highlight of form. Simple. Thats how you mix the two styles.

You can make logos all day on your own, but unless you sell them to someone, you'll be eating canned ravioli and toast you're whole life. In this field, you've got to "toughen" up and be at the will of your customer. They are paying for it, so they should be happy about it.

Agreed. In fact, the next thing you guys see from me will be something I've battled with for more than a year. And I lost most of those arguments. Understanding how to meet deadlines, follow criteria and make it in business is very important. But this isn't a business board. It's a sports logos board. And no matter which way you slice it, this could've been much better and it's ok to talk about that too.

That is a very nice webpage for the Legends.

I understand that you guys are primarily website oriented, and that's great. But to me, the teams are making a mistake in just considering the logo secondary to the website. Both are essential. But it seems like they are going backwards. A key to a minor league teams survival is their merch. Ticket sales are great, but minor league teams need a great logo to get noticed. They came to an expert for the webdesign, they should go to an expert for the logo design as well.

This is no way a knock on you evivid. I truely appreciate the opportunity you are giving some of the guys here. At first I wasn't sure what to think about your logo work, but now that I know the story more, I appreciate what you are doing. I just think the teams are making a mistake in thinking a logo is a add-on or is secondary.

Unforunitly we can't do much with the colors. He's set on "The Replacements" color scheme and will be using their style of jersey.

Sounds like this guy's rather inflexible. Unfortunately, an inflexible team owner is usually one that is unsuccessful on the field (see Dan Snyder) or goes broke (see the new ABA).

nav-logo.png

indeed, instead of cussing this guy out when hes giving ths board opprtunities, we need to offer constructive criticism. i just hope that one day he will allow me to do some work for him. by the way great website for the legends. as far as the logo, my c&c is the same as sterlings, also i would maybe do something to bring the horse out some more, that might make it a little more dynamic.

Had an idea.

May not work.

To me, he ain't a bandit til he's looking behind him. Or at least any other way than straight ahead.

Is there a way to make him face more toward the viewer and clutch that football like it's a sack of loot?

And like Josh said, maybe the horses head can come over the text.

Just random thoughts.

EDIT** Also, if he likes the fictional Sentinels colors. Then I suggest losing the black altogether. Darken the blue and let that function as the darkest color. Then use the red/silver as well as white for the bulk of the form.

You know what this needs don't you? This needs Nitro.

Archived