Buffalo Bills Concept

gbasalmon

By the time I'm done, I will have a new logo, hopefully some sort of alternate logo, and uniforms, but I figured I'd post what I've got so far, which is a updated primary and the first draft of my wordmark. C/C would be swell...

mybillsupdate.png

starpoint.pngclippers.pngbullsnew.gif

The wordmark is supposed to be the same blue as the darker blue in the logo, Illustrator was playing tricks on me. Other than that, thanks for the input...

P.S. - In order to put a white outline all the way around the logo, which is what I intend to do, I need to know from any of the Illustrator pros on the board if there is a hard and fast way to draw perfectly parallel lines with Illustrator, or is my best bet to trial-and-error eyeball it?

Like the new primary but I would definitely thicken the gray outline or lose it altogether, at that thickness it becomes a liability in reproduction.

Also I don't like the serif font on Buffalo...the font itself is too light. Also I don't normally like to combine 2 different types of serif fonts. Always safer to match a sanserif and serif rather than two distinctly different serif fonts.

P.S. - In order to put a white outline all the way around the logo, which is what I intend to do, I need to know from any of the Illustrator pros on the board if there is a hard and fast way to draw perfectly parallel lines with Illustrator, or is my best bet to trial-and-error eyeball it?

There might be an easy way to do that.

Select all the elements of the logo, make a copy of them and merge them to have only one big element. Send it to the back and play with the stroke to get a bigger outline. Once the is done, go into Object -> Path -> Outline Stroke. This will create the white outline you want around the logo.

It might not be clear (because I don't have Illustrator at work) but I hope this helps.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

It is a good start, but instead of keeping the same silhouette, explore some other options. Make your own silhouette that is subtly different. Maybe amke some definition lines for depth, or even change the form of the ol' red line in the middle of the buffalo.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

The wordmark is supposed to be the same blue as the darker blue in the logo, Illustrator was playing tricks on me. Other than that, thanks for the input...

First off, if that grey outline is a stroke, remove it. Set the stroke to zero.

Then, select the objects you want outlined in grey. Then do this:

"Object > Path > Offset Path..."

Now fill in the blank with the thickness of the grey outline.

That may all be moot if thats how you already did that.

Anyways, to get the all inclusive white outline, here's what you should do:

Select the outtermost objects of the logo (it's probably gonna be your grey outlines). Then do this:

"Object > Compound Path > Make"

Keeping the new compound path selected, do this again:

Then just enter the size you want the outline to be, and you'll be good to go.

A little note that will help you with later work with this logo: Go back and release ("Object > Compound Path > Release") the compound path once you've got the outlines how you want them.

Let me know if that works for you.

The wordmark is supposed to be the same blue as the darker blue in the logo, Illustrator was playing tricks on me.  Other than that, thanks for the input...

First off, if that grey outline is a stroke, remove it. Set the stroke to zero.

Then, select the objects you want outlined in grey. Then do this:

Now fill in the blank with the thickness of the grey outline.

That may all be moot if thats how you already did that.

Anyways, to get the all inclusive white outline, here's what you should do:

Select the outtermost objects of the logo (it's probably gonna be your grey outlines). Then do this:

"Object > Compound Path > Make"

Keeping the new compound path selected, do this again:

Then just enter the size you want the outline to be, and you'll be good to go.

A little note that will help you with later work with this logo: Go back and release ("Object > Compound Path > Release") the compound path once you've got the outlines how you want them.

Let me know if that works for you.

Thanks for the great help, STLFanatic. I made a copy of the logo, did the whole compound path / offset path dance to create a gray outline, which is what I've decided to do, so I think I've gotten the effect that I want. The only casualty due to this technique was the red eye, which I think would have looked extremely squished into where I had it before with the new heavier outline. I have some work to do with the wordmark, and then I'll post the updated logo. This is the last update I'll do in this thread before I post the whole concept (helmet, uniforms, the whole shebang), to avoid being a pill...

as a fellow Bills fan... I like it but I'm not sure if I LOVE it... but I like how all you did was tweak the existing logo. I like the thicker gray outline... but liked the extra red part in the "eye" in the first one, as you did. Looking forward to the uniforms.

I don't really like the wordmark as much, BILLS is fine, but BUFFALO is missing something... just my opinion.

good job!

Nice update! I like the grey outline, and how you incorporated the dark blue/light blue accents.

I too miss the red "evil eye" from the first design, but if it can't fit I understand.

Can't wait to see the uniforms. I hope you do something new with the pants striping to closer resemble the red streak in the logo.

GO BILLS!!!

OK, sorry to rehash this thread, but I figured it was better than starting a new thread, to reduce clutter. I do have a question for those of you who have put out football concepts. How do you do helmet stripes? I've tried using the pen tool to draw them out manually, but I suspect there's an easier way. Can I use some other tool that I don't know of to do it easier?

Archived