Montreal to have ABA franchise

pollux

Sorry if this has been discussed before. I read an article in La Presse this morning stating that Montreal will have an ABA franchise for next season.

Here is an article, dated November 27th, 2004...

------------

Montreal To Have an ABA Basketball Franchise in 2005 - Nov 27, 2004 - by Garo Salibian

Some more good Canadian-related news from the American Basketball Association (ABA). The official website of teh league http://www.abalive.com has run a feature about this as follows:

Joe Newman, the ABA co-founder announced that the league will be expanding to Montreal, Quebec in 2005. According to Newman, "There has been just too much publicity about Montreal not being able to support professional sports. Our feeling has always been that the problem does not lie with the city, but with the team. Montreal is a great city and will support professional sports if you give the fans a quality product at affordable prices. That's the ABA - and we have no doubt the fans of Montreal will love the exciting fast-paced high scoring ABA games - and the very affordable ticket prices."

The team will be owned by "Sports Franchise Acquisition Corporation", with the principle co-owner being Serena Locker-Coles, a well-established businesswomen and a native of Montreal. Mrs. Coles added, "The ABA appears to be a league of opportunity with so much diversification of ownership including women owners. We are extremely excited about this opportunity and echo Mr. Newman's sentiments - Montreal is a terrific sports city if you give the fans a quality product. My partners and I intend to do just that."

For more information, contact Serena Locker-Coles, 703-942-7449 or fax 703-942-7450 or email locker02s@aol.com

Market Had Been Heating Up in Montreal:

The market has been heating up in Montreal ever since the Montreal Expos left to have a good professional team, in basketball if not in baseball. Montreal has some of the best basketball talents around but unfortunately without any outlets after the high school and university scenes. In fact the "Frozen Hoops" Canadian basketball website (run by Curtis J. Phillips) had also reported just 15 days ago a news item from the Canadian Press that showed another group was also interested in an ABA basketball franchise.

The Canadian Press feature dated November 15, 2004:

One of the ABA's targets is Montreal, a notoriously fickle and unforgiving market that has seen pro basketball, Major League Baseball and even junior hockey teams bolt. Montreal businessman Alain Lord is getting involved in trying to bring the ABA to Montreal, where the NBL's Montreal Dragons folded after 17 games in 1993. Lord contacted the league last month to express his interest in paying the $10,000 US franchise startup fee. He said he's willing to build a new, 10,000-seat arena himself with one caveat - he wants to the city to give him the land for free. The city's two existing medium-sized venues aren't options, said Lord, because they're governed by city contracts that funnel all profits from food sales straight to city workers. "In professional sports, what is your first source of revenue?" he asked in a recent interview. "It's concessions, merchandising, tickets. So if you don't have the concession money, how can that work?" (end of Canadian Press story)

------------

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Interestingly enough, the residents of the eighth floor in my building have also been granted an ABA franchise, to begin play as soon as we can set up at least one hoop in the parking lot.

So much for Montreal's dreams of professional sports coming back to the city.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I'm not so sure this is something to be proud of. Cub Scout Den 11 of Lodi Township, MI's Pack 3 was also awarded an ABA franchise yesterday.

It ISN'T something to be proud of. I don't mind professionnal basketball in Montreal, but I higly doubt it is going to be successful. I just posted this as I thought this might interest some of the (very few) ABA fans.

Now onto designing the logos!!! Some things are mandatory:

ABA ball, bad logo, bad wordmark, bad uniforms.

If roger could put an ABA ball onto his Octopusses, it might interest the Montreal franchise...

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

yeah, Indy is also getting an ABA franchise. The Name: AlleyCats. Wht the hell does AlleyCats Ghave to do with Indy? Nothing. Anyways, its an oppertunity to make try and sell a logo, if I ever get time to make an animal look right lol

in other news, this 4-year old kid who drove to teh video store has been offered an ABA franchise. The kid already as a team ready-My Buddy, G.I. Joe, Ted E. Bear, Spiderman and Batman :P

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bullđŸ¤¬

This new ABA is a complete joke, and pisses on the legacy of the original version of the 60s and 70s. Even though there were franchises that went under, and of course 4 of them joined the NBA, at least there was a sense of organization. Here in the Los Angeles area, there are at least 3 teams here, and I think are a total of 36 franchises (I might be wrong). Just too many for a third-tier league.

I think the league is down to 29 currently playing. Portland and Calgary just officially suspended operations as have Chicago, Hermosillo and Philadelphia. Bakersfields 2005-06 franchise just pulled out and the 2005-06 Brooklyn franchise has moved to Queens.

Signature intentionally left blank

You see... Walgreens and Starbucks never had a chance at obtaining space in my bathroom. The silverfish in there were dead-set against leasing to chains. They'd rather see "mom-and-pop" invertebrates set up shop there... or a recreational pursuit. Hence, the ABA franchise.

Now, my kitchen is another matter entirely. The silverfish in there have been hoping for a high-end retailer to set up shop ever since my wife left a Manolo Blahnik shoebox sitting next to the garbage pail. Frankly, I think they'd approve big-box retailers, too.

Even though I cover it, I agree. It is a joke, save a few franchises.

That's why I have the idea for the PBLA, Professional Basketball League of America! :D

7 ABA teams and 1 WBA(which would switch from Spring to Winter league) form their own league, play a 60 game schedule(Yes, play the WHOLE THING! :D ) and I have some other plans.

Hopefully, an ABA mutiny can happen just to keep minor league hoops alive in good hoops towns.

The Cuticle On My Thumbnail will play the Little Rock I Kicked In My Driveway Two Weeks Ago on Friday at 7pm. The Cuticle On My Thumbnail is the favorite to win, because The Little Rock I Kicked In My Driveway Two Weeks Ago has been plagued with injuries(Mostly Concussions)! :P

Signature intentionally left blank

Archived