Something I noticed in Canton

Gothamite

Oh yeah, I forgot, also at a UF basketball exhibition game against some European team, some guy on the other team had to wear someone else's jersey. As a result, they put a big strip of black tape over the name, and then wrote the kid's correct name over it. The Gator fans thought this was funny, and for about the last part of the first half, the O'Connell Center was chanting "PUT IN DUCT TAPE *clap, clap, clap*, WE WANT DUCT TAPE!"

The Gator football team had a problem with a game this year where one of the WRs had his stripes on the jersey reversed order. Nobody noticed this but me. When I pointed it out to my friends they said "Of course, you're the only person who would even see that!" Then one of my other friends thought it would be funny to say "Ryan look, there's a thread hanging off of the left shoulder of the offensive lineman and that wasn't there before." Needless to say I smacked him in the head for being a smartass.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

As far as the Browns go, I think this was the second year they had this problem. Just had a bunch with one and a bunch with the other.

However, the more I think about it, the more I think that for the 2003 season, it might have been they had a bunch with a wordmark and a bunch with no wordmark.

The first year that the NFL switched from the NFL shield to the NFL Equipment shield at the neckline of the jerseys, I believe Stephen Davis managed to get in a game with the old style neckline while the rest of his teammates had the correct NFL Equipment jersey.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

Back in 1991, I covered a Wisconsin high school playoff game between Cassville and Kickapoo at Logan High School in La Crosse. Pregame warmups begin, and here comes Cassville in their green away jerseys, and then out comes Kickapoo ... in Logan home jerseys. Uniform assignments are made in alphabetical order, and the first team was the dark-uniform team in '91, but apparently Kickapoo forgot that (or didn't realize that C comes before K in the alphabet). The odd thing is that Kickapoo's colors are red and white, so they could have worn their red jerseys and probably stood out enough against Cassville.

Side note: That was the last year that Cassville had only one pair of uniform shorts, green. So their home uniforms had white jerseys and green shorts.

Packers-2.png

Two thoughts:

1 - At least at the college level, it's common for players to keep their helmets for two years. After that they're replaced so that everyone still has a safe helmet to wear. That could explain the differences you see between teammates. It's been common at some colleges lately as many of the younger players are using the helmets that help reduce concussions (look a little bigger, larger holes at the top) while the older guys are wearing the more traditional helmets.

2 - In my days at the University of Miami it was very common for the women's teams to order uniforms from any number of different companies and then have Nike swooshes added later on. Many of the women's teams - particularly basketball - felt that the Nike uniforms were cut for men and didn't fit well on women. So, it wouldn't surprise me that adding logos and things goes on elsewhere.

As far as the one question as to who does the teams jerseys...usually the equipment manager takes care of it. However, I know down here in South Florida the Miami Dolphins actually have a tailor that they like to go to. They did an article about it in the newspaper. The guys bring in their uniforms because some like their sleeves lengthened, shortened, etc. Dan Marino used to like to have most of his sleeve cut off. You'll notice back then the Dolphins had an aqua, orange, aqua patterend stripes on the sleeves, but 'ol Danny Boy just had one aqua stripe. It's because they cut that off for him. The tailor did all sorts of funky stuff to these guys jerseys and pants.

The Packers do something similar. They have seamstresses on staff who customize the uniforms to the liking of the players. Favre has them remove the elastic from the sleeves, etc.

I remember reading about it in the Milwaukee Journal a couple years ago.

Archived