Is Barry Larkin a Hall of Famer

NJTank

Is Barry Larking a Hall of Famer  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Seeing the tread about Larkin made me wonder how many of you consider him a Hall of Famer so I made this poll with a link to his career stats to help you judge.

Barry Larkin

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I'd say no. While he was a good player, he was nothing special. Only really had one good year offensively, and won 3 Gold Gloves. Had some speed early in his career, but not all that exceptional.

But only 4 times in 19 years did he ever play at least 150 games. He was a solid guy and upright citizen, but not Hall of Fame worthy. Not in a career that contemporaries include Ripken, Smith, Jeter, Arod, Garciapara, etc. He won an MVP, but other than that only finished in the top 10 one other time.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

Eventually, I think he will. Maybe twenty years or something. He has spent 19 years in MLB all with the Reds. Not that many people can say that they have had a carrer as long as his with only one team.

Signature intentionally left blank

I'm gonna be biased here and say that he definitely will make in because he has been my favorite player since I first discovered the reds as a todler living in Cincinnati, Barry played most of his career without Jeter and Arod or Nomar I would not call them his contemporaries, so comparing him to shortstops from a different era is not fair. He was the original shortstop who could hit for average and with some power, he hit 295 for his career and is one of the best fielders I have ever seen. I do think he will get in but it may take a few years.

iceohio.jpgvultshelmet.png

crossout3.png

I'm gonna be biased here and say that he definitely will make in because he has been my favorite player since I first discovered the reds as a todler living in Cincinnati, Barry played most of his career without Jeter and Arod or Nomar I would not call them his contemporaries, so comparing him to shortstops from a different era is not fair. He was the original shortstop who could hit for average and with some power, he hit 295 for his career and is one of the best fielders I have ever seen. I do think he will get in but it may take a few years.

Nomar, Jeter, and Arod have been in the league with him 9,10,& 11 years respectively. They are definitely contemporaries.

Barry has only hit 198 HR's. He showed power one year with 33. He averaged just over 10 per year/ 15 if he could've stayed healthy for 162 games.

His numbers compare to Alam Trammel, Shawn Dunston, Royce Clayton, Jay Bell, Rich Aurilia.

Ripken, John Valentin, Jose Valentine, and many others have/had far better power number. There were also many who fielded much better. He also only averaged 114 games per season.

Don't get me wrong, I like Barry, but he is no hall-of famer. The Reds only had 6 winning seasons while he played there. 1995 & 1996 he was pretty good, other than that he was average. I admire his loyalty to Cinncy, but I don't think loyalty is really a Hall category.

semperfi.gif

Kinda of Cincy's Jim Rice... huh?

No. It can be argued that from 1975 to about 85 or 86 Rice was one of the dominant hitters of the game. Had it not been for his surly attitude with the press he might be in the Hall. That's 10-12 years of excellence for Rice, Barry can't make that claim.

semperfi.gif

Heres my take now taht sevral weighed in, Larkin was a very good player but he was not great. He won just one MVP, but never was the best player at his possition, nor was he a league leader, he didnt get 1,000 RBI he didnt even hit 200 HR he didnt get 3,000 hits he didnt hit over .300 for his career and he was not an all time great defensively.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived