Seattle Mariners Teal Uniforms

bterreson

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is a Q & A thing from the Seattle PI...

Q: Who decides what hat is worn by the Mariners for home games? I always thought the teal-brimmed hats were the home hat, while the all-navy hats were for the road. What gives?

AG: Baseball has developed a severe case of fashionitis. Major league teams now play games in a variety of caps and jerseys, all part of their rush to garner more cash from fan spending on replica paraphernalia. So previous uniform rules, such as the teal-brimmed cap for home games, have been scrapped. The selection of what to wear amid all this plumage has generally been a perk for the starting pitcher (Jamie Moyer, for example, always prefers the all-navy cap). But there seems to be a lessening of fashionitis this season. One alternate cap (navy with compass logo) is gone for game wear. The team has decreed that all-white uniforms must be worn for at least three-quarters of its home games. And superstition has probably dealt a death blow to the dark jersey (almost black in color last year, more navy this year). As Scott Gilbert, Mariners equipment manager, explains, "Brett Tomko picked that alternate blue jersey for a game he pitched and the team lost. So you won't see that shirt again this year." The Mariners should have listened to Gilbert. They took another chance on the blue jerseys Friday and lost to the Blue Jays.

nah, Tomko's a good guy. if anything he single handedly kept the Giants in the hunt up until the final weekend

anyways back to the topic. I wish the Mariners would use the number font from thier navy alts on thier regular home and road unis. seeing as how they are a realitively young team with most of its tradition coming only in the last ten years or so, they can afford to go a bit more cutting edge with thier numbers like they did with thier color scheme and thier logos.

and they also need to add piping to the sleeves as well.

I loved the 125th anniversary patch... so cool looking with the MLB logo in red, white and gold. Also, does anyone remember the gold logo they put on the back of their caps that year? Any pix of it?

By the way, I'm relatively new to the board... hello everyone!

-Alex

Hello

I dont remember seeing the gold logo on the backs of the caps... I thought it was the red/white/blue logo (which at that time was very new on the caps)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I'm with you on the sleeve piping, Shark. I hate it when teams have piping down the front but not on the sleeves. Tigers and Red Sox as well - just looks unbalanced to my eye.

You and Shark agreed on something? I'm expecting the swarms of locusts to hit the Milwaukee area any second now :P

QPR%20Sig.png

The gold logo that Alex was referring to was a 125th Anniversary medallion that actually attached to the cap. It had sharp prongs on it to poke through the material and then the prongs were bent down so they wouldn't poke you in the head. MLB wanted all of the teams to place them over the regular MLB logos on the back of their caps but only some did. It may have come down to player preference.

I hope they turn back the clock to that mullet Randy Johnson was sporting in that picture. :D I'm not a fan of the teal. I like the navy alts, but why not wear the teal? I mean, you have 162 games to play with. Not to threadjack, but I have a book of Super Bowl and MLB patches. Some company would actually send me a patch of all the Super Bowls and patches MLB teams wore throughout the years on a sheet with stats/history (don't know which family member enrolled me in this program) One day, I'll head up to the attic and dig them out. I know the gold MLB one is in there for the anniversary.

KISSwall09.jpg

While I'm also happy to see the teal uniforms back in action I wish they were as the alternate unis instead of the TBTC unis. I guess never again will we see those 1982-1986 unis used. Some bad years and some unlucky uniforms I guess. Still my favorite of all time except for the old early 80s Brewers unis. Oh well.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

• 2 weeks later...
I'm with you on the sleeve piping, Shark.  I hate it when teams have piping down the front but not on the sleeves.  Tigers and Red Sox as well - just looks unbalanced to my eye.

You and Shark agreed on something? I'm expecting the swarms of locusts to hit the Milwaukee area any second now :P

he does it to brown-nose me. he never really means it :rolleyes:

• 4 months later...

Archived